Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Graphical representation of held/hauled items  (Read 5662 times)

Nilsolm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Graphical representation of held/hauled items
« on: November 30, 2020, 06:36:23 am »

We have already seen several screenshots which show dwarves holding weapons and those are graphically represented on the sprite.

I was wondering if other items will be similarly represented. Visitors, for example, often arrives carrying books in their hands. Will these be visible?

Also, what about items being hauled? It might be a useful addition so you can more easily see what a dwarf is doing without having to select them first to look at their job description or inventory.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Graphical representation of held/hauled items
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2020, 03:37:46 pm »

It would be nice if blinking tiles were avoided when possible.  Maybe there could be the option for tileset creators to have a generic hauling item sprite? It might mean just some generic box or something that represents a piece of furniture. I think I'd prefer that to the blinking back and forth from dwarf to door for example.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2020, 05:30:19 pm »

Dwarves are very, very often holding something generic. Be it some gewgaw they've acquired or a bin of goods, most dwarves would end up with the "holding a thing" sprite.

I'd still like it.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 03:42:07 am »

I feel like holding and hauling should be separate sprites, as they are functionally different. We already have the ”weapon-holding” sprites that could be used for holding personal items (scepters, books), and hauling I imagine is done with both hands.

How should wheelbarrows be dealt with? At that point the tile gets really cramped, I imagine, unless the wheelbarrow is to be carried. It would be really nice if they weren’t, though.

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 08:15:37 am »

we once had a news pic of entrails dragging behind a dwarf.... maybe a wheelbarrow yould be shown infront of the dwarf in the direction they move... (if they the tile infront is blocked i.e by a wall it could move to the tile of the dwarf or so)
well the problem with checking the tile infront if its a wall... or just drag the wheelbarrow on the tile the dwarf was last on behind him? (well or more complicated: the wheelbarrow replaces the dwarf sprite position and the dwarf gets dragged after the wheelbarrow).

for hauling they could carry a box and for holding/wielding it could show the item in the hands (like weapons)
but then... if they haul a barrel, sock, coin, bin, quiver... it would all show as a box... (not great)

so it would probably be better if they just show what is in the hands... a hauled door might block most of the dwarf sprite then but would make sense... maybe the furniture sprite (or any sprite? that is hauled?) could be rotated 90° when hauled? (so instead of a normal vertically shown door or bed its horizontal?) who knows maybe some dwarfs end up with 2 barrels in their hands or such dwarfy things.