Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: DWARF VISION ingame realtime portrait generator [0.2.2 FABULATION UPDATE]-HALTED  (Read 40389 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: DWARF VISION in-game realtime portrait generator
« Reply #45 on: December 26, 2020, 04:13:58 pm »

i only play without dfhack  :'(
... just this. i don't like play DF with dfhack. So, for me, no beautiful portraits..  :'(
And this why author must create non-dfhack version.
It uses DFHack to do its most basic functionality. How do you propose it should work otherwise?

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 26, 2020, 06:00:46 pm »

... just this. i don't like play DF with dfhack. So, for me, no beautiful portraits..  :'(
It uses DFHack to do its most basic functionality. How do you propose it should work otherwise?
Why Dwarf TheRapist work without dfhack?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 26, 2020, 07:07:34 pm »

Why Dwarf TheRapist work without dfhack?
It's Therapist, not a rapist, and it works by duplicating all of the work that DFHack already does. The only reason it's doing it that was is because it's actually older than DFHack.

Rust_Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • Click signature for DF Procedural Portraits!
    • View Profile
Re: DWARF VISION in-game realtime portrait generator [0.2 FABULATION UPDATE]
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2020, 02:36:30 pm »

Holy smokes. I have another post on the exact problem that I was having with 'seeing' my dwarves and being able to remember who they were. Not sure how long ago I posted it, but this is very welcome. I'm really happy to be able to see my dwarves faces, now. It helps them to become stronger characters in the story. Tremendous appreciation, mate.
This is quite funny - when we embarked on making this project happen, we mostly wanted to have this visualizer for things you have in Dwarf Fortress. It later became aware to me that this is indeed more than just eye-candy, so it's now shifting a bit more to an actual tool.
We're really happy to know you like it! Cheers!  ;)

OMG totally posting to watch and support!
Any help is most welcomed! Delighted to see people hyping  :)

This can be achieved, but not without a considerable effort - the good part is, the artist doesn't have to stop and wait while the programming side is working on other tasks.
This being said, it would be wise to focus on adding Adventure Mode and porting Dwarf Vision to Mac and Linux (which by the way, I'm wondering how many people are in those boats... :-\ )
before embarking on more daring quests.

It's Therapist, not a rapist, and it works by duplicating all of the work that DFHack already does. The only reason it's doing it that was is because it's actually older than DFHack.
I actually didn't know that - actually wondered why Dwarf Therapist went parallel with the Dfhack technology, instead of using it.
Thanks for clearing out the technicalities, Rose!  :P

In OTHER NEWS:

0.2 update has now been released. Main feature is the Fabulation options and some fixes regarding freezes/crashes.
Do tell if you run into further problems and any other observations and recommendations you might have.

Second post from page 1 will now pertain updates...
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177615.msg8218599#msg8218599

« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 05:39:43 pm by Rust_Knight »
DWARF VISION - REALTIME IN-GAME DF PORTRAIT GENERATOR

Every little bit of your help on our Patreon GREATLY fuels our energy to further develop DWARF VISION !

ANickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2020, 12:16:34 am »

This is a fantastic add-on to the game, and one that I wish we could see in some official capacity at some point.  For now, we have your great efforts!
Thanks much.

Fi

• Bay Watcher
  • φ
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 29, 2020, 03:52:34 pm »

Currently it's working only for Fortress mode. I'm now done with the "Fabulation" slider feature, which allows a degree of control on how random/non-random your portraits are in regard to their textual description. Adventure mode is next on the list and it shouldn't be all that difficult to implement. I'll write further updates as I go.

Upcoming tasks are: Adventure mode, Linux/Mac integration, better communication protocol between Dfhack and Dwarf Vision.
Aqua added some extra hair/beard that was missing and is continuing on to work on the dwarf female sets.

Ooo, you got me all excited with anticipation for those new features. ღ

I tried to use it around the time I made my comment with LNP, but it gave me some sort of error about it being compiled for a different version of DFHack, so I don't know if LNP uses a different or unique version of DFHack that might cause version incompatibilities over time.

PS: I'm actually happy to hear the Goblin and the Elf were well received! Thank you for the kind words :)

No problem at all! ❦

I enjoy seeing Artists' depiction of the non-fiction races that are more... fanciful (in Dwarf Fortress's terms) than other races when it comes to their features.

Your style of the Elves and the Goblins reminds me of the way Lord of the Rings portrays their Elves and the way Goblins are portrayed in Dungeons & Dungeons as well as World of Warcraft, and I like that very much.

I'll absolutely be keeping my eyes peeled as far back as possible (I promise I'll blink here and there) for your Adventure Mode update!

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2020, 02:26:38 pm »

DF goblins and elves are different, so they will be better if they look don't be copy of just imges in popular games.

Also, I suggest generator of images for procedural generated creatures, like night trolls.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2020, 02:56:00 pm »

I totally suggest leaning into the fact that DF elves are cannibals.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2020, 05:42:13 pm »

Goblins have hair, so make sure you generate hair for them.

ANickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 06, 2021, 10:37:23 pm »

This is an amazing little tool that makes recognizing dwarves 1000x easier!
I can't wait to see more updates from you guys, I know modding is a lot of hard work that often feels unappreciated but at least know that you've got a few fans rooting for you guys!

Fi

• Bay Watcher
  • φ
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2021, 03:57:08 am »

DF goblins and elves are different, so they will be better if they look don't be copy of just imges in popular games.

Surely their appearances are in the eyes of the beholders since I personally haven't really seen any official documentations on how the basic races supposed to look in Dwarf Fortress—just the basics of their bodily structures, cultures, and personalities.

People just seem more drawn towards the primitive (their lifestyles) yet graceful and beautiful type of Elves which are more attuned to nature that... also eat people for some potentially unholy reason... and the more humanoid or imp-esque type of Goblins.

I think the way Goblins are portrayed now is new—probably due to World of Warcraft or Dungeons & Dragons' fan art as most people seem to enjoy more humanoid creatures in our own likeness than grotesque aberrations, but I think the way Elves are portrayed has always been the same (excluding all of their subraces that came about).

Here are some fine examples of how our depictions of them evolved over the years since a lot of games based their races on Tolkien's work and D&D which was also inspired by Tolkien:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Goblin
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Orc
  • (Orcs actually used to be depicted as demonic pig-headed monstrosities in the past.)
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Kobold
  • (Kobolds went through a few changes over the years as well, but they've mostly been depicted as reptilian—not quite like Lizardmen nor Dragonkin but almost.)

I didn't add the Elves since they seemed to have always looked the same over the years:
  • Otherworldly beauty or very angular features with a fervent fondness for all things natural as well as their height varying between taller or shorter than Humans—again, this excludes their subraces since they're an entirely different ballpark.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 04:51:23 am by Fi »

davidoskky

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2021, 01:36:37 pm »

This looks amazing!! The art is incredible, all of them look as if they were purposefully drawn that way!

I can't wait for a linux release to try it out!

Rust_Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DWARF VISION in-game realtime portrait generator [0.2.2 FABULATION UPDATE]
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2021, 07:00:29 am »

IMPORTANT NOTE

When I released the Fabulation update 0.2, it was still pointing to the old (initial launch) version. Download link has now been fixed. Sorry for that!

Meanwhile, 0.2.2 was released which now is compatible with the latest version of Dfhack (0.47.04-r4-Windows-64bit).
ALSO, overwriting symbols.xml is no longer needed, hence it's now been removed from the Dwarf Vision.rar distribution archive.

One of our supporters, Zenith, pointed this out - this goes to show how much we need your feedback. Thank you for your vigilance Zenith  ;)

« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 05:55:41 pm by Rust_Knight »

Every little bit of your help on our Patreon GREATLY fuels our energy to further develop DWARF VISION !

Free_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2021, 07:26:31 pm »

I can't wait to download this, it really does look like an amazing project. It may be my first Patreon, even!

Rust_Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2021, 07:16:27 am »

I can't wait to download this, it really does look like an amazing project. It may be my first Patreon, even!

Indeed, I did notice that some of our Patrons subscribed just for our project alone.
It creates a very strong sentiment knowing that Dwarf Vision is wanted and it gives us fresh energy to keep on working!

We thank you!

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6