Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: DWARF VISION ingame realtime portrait generator [0.2.2 FABULATION UPDATE]-HALTED  (Read 40390 times)

MudSoakedReacher

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: DWARF VISION in-game realtime portrait generator
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2020, 04:33:38 pm »

Has anyone succeeded in setting this up the latest version of the lazy noob pack? I'm getting freezes when I try to run my save file.

neobit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Page with my goodies (games, music, photos)
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2020, 07:08:34 am »

Has anyone succeeded in setting this up the latest version of the lazy noob pack? I'm getting freezes when I try to run my save file.

I does happen for me. I had one startup when it all worked out great, but since then it is freezing for me as well.

@Rust_Knight
How can we debug this? What sort of logs are useful for you to see what could be causing the problem?

EDIT1:
Im not completely sure how it was working that well earlier and now just stopped. So the pictures are not updating, selecting any dwarf causes a long freeze (probably ending up with some sort of a timeout) and DFHack prints this red message
table: 0000027F980867A0
After that game doesnt freeze anymore but picutres are not being updated as well. Is that your plugin that crashes?

EDIT2:
All of that using PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack 0.47.04-r10 so it is not the setup you recommended, though.
It is even reported "Warning: Plugin dwarfinfo compiled for DFHack 0.47.04-r3-34-gc73a8a05, running DFHack 0.47.04-r3-0-gb343d008"

EDIT3:
I have tried removing all under portraits_Play_Sessions but that did not help. There is one bin when freeze happens and that is all.
If was different table now tough: 000002C24D173DF0 (but I assume it is not that important)
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 07:39:08 am by neobit »

Rust_Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • Click signature for DF Procedural Portraits!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2020, 12:06:11 pm »

To Neobit and MudSoakedReacher

Could you two save an archive of your DF folder (best compression method) and upload it via https://www.sendgb.com to a link?
You could send the links as private messages to me.

It will be much easier to debug if I can have the saves and exact configuration of your DF + mods and playtest them a bit.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 01:09:55 pm by Rust_Knight »
DWARF VISION - REALTIME IN-GAME DF PORTRAIT GENERATOR

Every little bit of your help on our Patreon GREATLY fuels our energy to further develop DWARF VISION !

qualiyah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 15, 2020, 02:29:06 pm »

I just ran the program from the Lazy Newb Pack, with a graphics set and Dwarf Therapist running simultaneously, and it worked fine; I didn't get any freezes. I did start a brand new world for this purpose though--maybe that makes a difference? I had my dwarves run around for a bit and didn't see any problems.

One minor suggestion to consider for the future: It's pretty easy to find a good place to put just one portrait, in a corner, but I don't really want 4 portraits at a time on my screen since that takes up too much space, and anyhow, I can't tell which portrait goes with which dwarf. So I think I'd prefer it if it displayed only the portrait of the exact dwarf selected, rather than the portraits of every dwarf within a tile or two of the cursor.

qualiyah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 15, 2020, 02:39:11 pm »

Since I saw that neobit said it worked *once* and freezes ever since, I also tried running the world for a bit, quitting, then reloading it, and that did still work. I'll admit I didn't play for long either time though.

neobit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Page with my goodies (games, music, photos)
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2020, 07:20:33 am »

Since I saw that neobit said it worked *once* and freezes ever since, I also tried running the world for a bit, quitting, then reloading it, and that did still work. I'll admit I didn't play for long either time though.

I probably would need to try it out on a fresh run as well. There might be a limit in regards of amount of dwarfs for the dfhack to still maintain sending dwarf info over and over.
The save I used has 180 citizen (48 pets and others). That is rather big fortress.

Anyway I have delivered my game with the save to Rust_Knight so there might be some solution to this  (or answers if I did something wrong ;)).
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 07:24:44 am by neobit »

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2020, 09:45:20 pm »

Definitely has my interest, the fluidity of moving it into the UI boxes with the mouse example is very impressive alongside the high artistic quality of it (not that im not affable to the idea if some animals could recieve generic portraits, so i can sort by goodest boy's from my donkies)

Do you think you could pull up a DFhack ui box especially for framing all of our portraits sorted by some criteria there? Double click a portrait to zoom to them and the game would seem almost triple A.

Rust_Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2020, 02:41:51 am »

I just ran the program from the Lazy Newb Pack, with a graphics set and Dwarf Therapist running simultaneously, and it worked fine; I didn't get any freezes. I did start a brand new world for this purpose though--maybe that makes a difference? I had my dwarves run around for a bit and didn't see any problems.

One minor suggestion to consider for the future: It's pretty easy to find a good place to put just one portrait, in a corner, but I don't really want 4 portraits at a time on my screen since that takes up too much space, and anyhow, I can't tell which portrait goes with which dwarf. So I think I'd prefer it if it displayed only the portrait of the exact dwarf selected, rather than the portraits of every dwarf within a tile or two of the cursor.

Yes, I guess the multi portraits mode is more of a feature demonstration, than it is practical  :D. Yet, I imagine some might still like it this way. In order to see who is who, you can hold the X above a specific dwarf, and it will highlight its respective dwarf.
You might know this, but I'll write it anyway - you CAN change the number of displayed dwarfs from the onLoad.init (example) file. Let me know if it worked out.
repeat -time 20 -timeUnits frames -command [ dwarfinfo -n 3 ] Change the number in red to 0 to have just one dwarf displayed at a time, when looking over him.

I probably would need to try it out on a fresh run as well. There might be a limit in regards of amount of dwarfs for the dfhack to still maintain sending dwarf info over and over.
The save I used has 180 citizen (48 pets and others). That is rather big fortress.

Anyway I have delivered my game with the save to Rust_Knight so there might be some solution to this  (or answers if I did something wrong ;)).

Normally there should be no limit on how many dwarfs can be viewed. I was a bit busy implementing a features I already started working on, but I will try to reproduce this problem as soon as I get the change. My recommendation is, until I come up with a fix, delete your YOUR_DWARF_FORTRESS_FOLDER\Dwarf_Vision_x64_win_release\portraits_Play_Sessions\WORLD_CAUSING_ERRORS
WORLD_CAUSING_ERRORS folder. This will cause portraits to be redrawn, so you will lose current "faces" of your dwarfs and gain new ones. But it might also fix the problem.
Let me know if it had any positive impact on the issue.

Definitely has my interest, the fluidity of moving it into the UI boxes with the mouse example is very impressive alongside the high artistic quality of it (not that im not affable to the idea if some animals could recieve generic portraits, so i can sort by goodest boy's from my donkies)

Do you think you could pull up a DFhack ui box especially for framing all of our portraits sorted by some criteria there? Double click a portrait to zoom to them and the game would seem almost triple A.

Hey FantasticDorf,
Such a morale tonic you served us today  ;D Thanks for coming over and sharing this with us.
We actually did mention on Patreon that after a while we will release a procedural Cat portrait!
Indeed, some animals might actually appear amidst the main races drawing, if we can do them fast and elegantly enough.
Generic portrait holders also isn't bad at all. Already made a note on this.

So let me see if I understood you correctly:
Compose a list showing dwarfs and their portraits/names ordered by some conditions (least depressed <-> depressed; healthy <-> injured)?
And if you click on it, it focuses the screen on them.

If that's what you meant, yes it is possible to implement such a feature. The UI that you see displaying the portraits thou, isn't a DFhack UI, it's a QT Window from Dwarf Vision - this means these portrait windows do not have direct information to what dwarfs they are displaying. This will probably be much easier to do when I replace the current messaging system with tpc or protobuff.

« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 02:44:44 am by Rust_Knight »

Every little bit of your help on our Patreon GREATLY fuels our energy to further develop DWARF VISION !

Fi

• Bay Watcher
  • φ
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2020, 10:23:43 am »

Wow, this looks amazing and probably would completely replace Dwarf Portrait for me since I've sorta been using that for getting a general visual of nearby creatures. The visuals of the Elves and the Goblins are my favorite so far, and I'm definitely going to look forward to seeing how it visualizes animal people.

Is this tool compatible with Adventure Mode? I didn't see any mentionings of that game mode in the thread, and the installation instructions seem to specify Fortress Mode.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 10:25:18 am by Fi »

Rust_Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2020, 07:53:37 am »

Wow, this looks amazing and probably would completely replace Dwarf Portrait for me since I've sorta been using that for getting a general visual of nearby creatures. The visuals of the Elves and the Goblins are my favorite so far, and I'm definitely going to look forward to seeing how it visualizes animal people.

Is this tool compatible with Adventure Mode? I didn't see any mentionings of that game mode in the thread, and the installation instructions seem to specify Fortress Mode.

Currently it's working only for Fortress mode. I'm now done with the "Fabulation" slider feature, which allows a degree of control on how random/non-random your portraits are in regard to their textual description. Adventure mode is next on the list and it shouldn't be all that difficult to implement. I'll write further updates as I go.

Upcoming tasks are: Adventure mode, Linux/Mac integration, better communication protocol between Dfhack and Dwarf Vision.
Aqua added some extra hair/beard that was missing and is continuing on to work on the dwarf female sets.

PS: I'm actually happy to hear the Goblin and the Elf were well received! Thank you for the kind words :)

« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 04:53:17 pm by Rust_Knight »

Rust_Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2020, 07:33:59 am »

I managed to fix the issue. The save you sent always crashed shortly after looking around.
When deleting the temp folder, it would work fine for a bit, but still freeze again.

Did some changes to dwarfinfo.dll and it seems to be fixed now. More testing will be needed thou.

Fix will be included with next release (should be in a couple of days). PM me if anyone wants a nightly build and doesn't want to wait longer.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 05:20:43 am by Rust_Knight »

Ulfengaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2020, 03:57:09 pm »

Holy smokes. I have another post on the exact problem that I was having with 'seeing' my dwarves and being able to remember who they were. Not sure how long ago I posted it, but this is very welcome. I'm really happy to be able to see my dwarves faces, now. It helps them to become stronger characters in the story. Tremendous appreciation, mate.

LordBalkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2020, 02:32:40 pm »

OMG totally posting to watch and support!

Iklistkel

• Bay Watcher
  • Give-me a dam pint of wine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2020, 03:14:04 pm »

i only play without dfhack  :'(
... just this. i don't like play DF with dfhack. So, for me, no beautiful portraits..  :'(
Iklistkel is just a crazy head made nickname.
Call me Balin ... and give me here that pint, let me full it up of
mushroom wine.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2020, 04:11:48 pm »

i only play without dfhack  :'(
... just this. i don't like play DF with dfhack. So, for me, no beautiful portraits..  :'(
And this why author must create non-dfhack version.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6