Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: DWARF VISION ingame realtime portrait generator [0.2.2 FABULATION UPDATE]-HALTED  (Read 40403 times)

Dragonslayerelf

• Bay Watcher
  • Respectable Dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: DWARF VISION in-game realtime portrait generator [0.2.2 FABULATION UPDATE]
« Reply #60 on: January 18, 2021, 09:44:32 am »

How does this interact with custom races, and if it doesn't, how would one add them to this? I have this race called 'dark dwarves' in my game that are basically just like Dark Iron Dwarves from WOW, and I was wondering if I patched that into this if it would work and/or how it would be possible.

Also this is super amazing. Sometimes I draw out my dwarves, but I generally like getting a sense of what my dwarves look like, and this is amazing for that!
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 09:46:53 am by Dragonslayerelf »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2021, 10:56:11 am »

PTW
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Rust_Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • Click signature for DF Procedural Portraits!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 27, 2021, 04:47:26 pm »

How does this interact with custom races, and if it doesn't, how would one add them to this? I have this race called 'dark dwarves' in my game that are basically just like Dark Iron Dwarves from WOW, and I was wondering if I patched that into this if it would work and/or how it would be possible.

Also this is super amazing. Sometimes I draw out my dwarves, but I generally like getting a sense of what my dwarves look like, and this is amazing for that!

In its current state Dwarf Vision can only supply portraits for vanilla Dwarf Fortress.
Making this work with mods isn't hard, but making DV display modded items/races graphically is.
I'll have to make it a bit more accessible to pair vanilla races with modded races, so that at least you can use the regular portraits in modded games.
I am aware that a lot of players use mods, so it's definitely something on the to-do list.

Thank you for the praise! It's something we'll be doing for a lot of time from now.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 04:50:15 pm by Rust_Knight »
DWARF VISION - REALTIME IN-GAME DF PORTRAIT GENERATOR

Every little bit of your help on our Patreon GREATLY fuels our energy to further develop DWARF VISION !

neobit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Page with my goodies (games, music, photos)
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2021, 08:21:29 am »

@Rust_Knight
FYI I have played on my big fortress for ca 40 minutes with DV 0.2.2 and PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack 0.47.04-r11 (comes with DFHack 0.47.04-r4-0-geb6957a1) and it worked stable without any crashes/lags :) Good job!
I like to play with Fabulation set to None, would be great if DV would remember that choice upon restart.
p.s. Good that you have added the version to the release archive.

zetathix

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2021, 08:17:12 am »

Wow, this is very impressive. Do you guys plan to make items image generator too?

Rust_Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2021, 07:14:16 am »

@Rust_Knight
FYI I have played on my big fortress for ca 40 minutes with DV 0.2.2 and PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack 0.47.04-r11 (comes with DFHack 0.47.04-r4-0-geb6957a1) and it worked stable without any crashes/lags :) Good job!
I like to play with Fabulation set to None, would be great if DV would remember that choice upon restart.
p.s. Good that you have added the version to the release archive.

Excellent! Very glad to hear that. Thank you very much for the feedback, Neobit.
Yes, I'll add that on the to do list so that it stays on the last chosen Fabulation setting.
Re-PS: you mean, good thing that I corrected that last update to the current one?  ;D

Wow, this is very impressive. Do you guys plan to make items image generator too?

Thank you Zetathix! We're happy to hear you like it :)
Yes, I was thinking about it. It's on the features list, but for now all focus will go on vanilla civilizations and their gear.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 07:26:19 am by Rust_Knight »

Every little bit of your help on our Patreon GREATLY fuels our energy to further develop DWARF VISION !

neobit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Page with my goodies (games, music, photos)
« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2021, 10:21:11 am »

Re-PS: you mean, good thing that I corrected that last update to the current one?  ;D

I meant that it is good that the name of the archive is pointing to the specific version i.e. 0.2.2. I was one of the victims of your 'corrupted' upload and was wondering why you were claiming the previous bug is fixed. As there was no version information it was hard to be sure I was using correct one. Anyway... good step towards more professionalism :)

treehugger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2021, 07:51:00 am »

Just tested this! Fantastic work.. I LOVE this!

Mountain_King

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2021, 09:19:51 am »

First off, this is absolutely amazing. Thank you for bringing us this work of art so that we can better enjoy the dwarfiness that we all love.

Besides that, I just have one comment perhaps induced by my unusually early rise this morning. I was looking at the WIP mock-up for the upcoming interface and you see, in the dwarf info area, the little box with the dwarf right above the relations tab? By Armok, that is the perfect spot for where an in-game unit portrait should be. I can't help but imagine a future release of Dwarf Fortress where procedural portraits of Dwarf Vision's caliber - just slightly pixelated - exist within the game and on that spot. Maybe it's something that became possible because the right people talked to the other right people and perhaps a beautiful cooperation then occurred. I don't know how within grasp that might truly be, but I can't help but look at that interface and have some amount of yearning due to the opportunity presented there.

Anyhow, thank you again for this wonderful contribution, Dwarf Vision team! This project is fantastic and I'm grateful for its existence.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 09:32:09 am by Mountain_King »

Rust_Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2021, 01:30:34 am »

Just tested this! Fantastic work.. I LOVE this!

Glad to hear it went well on first try (hopefully!...)
You can leave more feedback either here or on the Discord :)

First off, this is absolutely amazing. Thank you for bringing us this work of art so that we can better enjoy the dwarfiness that we all love.

Besides that, I just have one comment perhaps induced by my unusually early rise this morning. I was looking at the WIP mock-up for the upcoming interface and you see, in the dwarf info area, the little box with the dwarf right above the relations tab? By Armok, that is the perfect spot for where an in-game unit portrait should be. I can't help but imagine a future release of Dwarf Fortress where procedural portraits of Dwarf Vision's caliber - just slightly pixelated - exist within the game and on that spot. Maybe it's something that became possible because the right people talked to the other right people and perhaps a beautiful cooperation then occurred. I don't know how within grasp that might truly be, but I can't help but look at that interface and have some amount of yearning due to the opportunity presented there.

Anyhow, thank you again for this wonderful contribution, Dwarf Vision team! This project is fantastic and I'm grateful for its existence.

Hey Mountain_King,
I'm very happy to read your thoughts on this. Yes, there are a lot of places where one could place portraits.
While I didn't think about this right now, I imagine there will be a Dwarf Vision for the steam version as well.
It would be trivial to shrink and place portraits exactly over that spot. Pixelation of portraits is also achievable, thou that would be something different than making pixel portraits from scratch. We'll see.

What I'm really excited and thankful is that you actually took the time to register and share these thoughts with us!
We thank you for this intervention and made notes of what you recommended.
When steam-DF will come out, we'll give it a go and see how it works  ;D
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 06:43:28 am by Rust_Knight »

Mountain_King

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2021, 03:22:14 pm »

Hey Mountain_King,
I'm very happy to read your thoughts on this. Yes, there are a lot of places where one could place portraits.
While I didn't think about this right now, I imagine there will be a Dwarf Vision for the steam version as well.
It would be trivial to shrink and place portraits exactly over that spot. Pixelation of portraits is also achievable, thou that would be something different than making pixel portraits from scratch. We'll see.

What I'm really excited and thankful is that you actually took the time to register and share these thoughts with us!
We thank you for this intervention and made notes of what you recommended.
When steam-DF will come out, we'll give it a go and see how it works  ;D

That's awesome to hear, and as this project progresses I look forward to see what you guys do with it. Hopefully someday these portraits or something similar becomes a native addition to the graphical interface without the need for a third party program. That'd definitely be the dream! Regardless I eagerly check back now and then to see how things go. I am a longtime lurker that has been playing DF for many years now, but I haven't had much impetus to interact on the boards until now. Seeing this project though, I had to express my thanks.

On the artistic side of things I am quite enjoying the WIP samples you have shown off so far. Female dwarves especially! If I may levy a single nitpick though - and this is just opinion of course - personally I always imagined Goblins having much more striking red eyes vs the orange in the current WIP picture. In Adventure Mode even, when you encounter Goblins, they have one of the few graphical representations in DF - when shrouded in darkness their glowing red eyes appear as red " (or just ' if they are missing an eye) instead of their normal g icon. Zach as well has drawn them with what look to be black, perhaps even split pupils like you guys have done against a red eyeball. Of course it's all artist interpretation, but I just hope that this little detail helps to inform future development.

That being said, keep on keeping on with this wonderful marriage of programming and art!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 03:53:06 pm by Mountain_King »

Silverwing235

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2021, 05:37:27 pm »

PTW.

FrankVill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hi!

Are there any possibility for updating this utility to DFHack 0.47.05?

CovertJaguar

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Presumably, if you could just recompiled the dwarfinfo plugin, it would work, but... as far as I can tell, the sources for that is NOT on github sadly. Hopefully the project is still alive.

Rust_Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've updated the github with the missing dwarfinfo plugin.
https://github.com/RustKnight/Dwarf-Vision/tree/main

For those interested they can now compile it for the latest version of dfhack.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6