Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [SPOILERS] HFS improvements  (Read 668 times)

JAL28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[SPOILERS] HFS improvements
« on: December 03, 2020, 12:02:11 am »

Just a few things that would allow the HFS to be more of a consistent challenge, as well as a bigger player in worldgen.

After the initial wave of clowns and after you breach and conquer the Underworld, there is a small chance every month that the demons may attempt again at breaching your defenses and leaving the Underworld. There are two types:

Demonic Assaults

Demonic Assaults are not all that different from the initial rush that occurs when you first breach the Underworld. Much like a siege, they appear in large numbers at the edge of the map(30-60 demons). However, they can and probably will contain flightless demons, whereas the initial rush only contains flying demons. These flightless demons may even ride non-intelligent flying demons as mounts to fly up to the hole you made.

Demonic Sieges

Demonic Sieges are much rarer variants of Demonic Assaults, as well as being much more !!Fun!!. Unlike Assaults, which are basically a wild horse of demons making a mad rush for it, Sieges are coordinated by unique demons(twisted into humanoid form) and are much more organised. They can only have between 10-30 demons, but most of said demons are either flesh or rocky materials, making them much harder opponents than the weak salt/steam demons ubiquitous in the Underworld. In fact, the coordinator of the siege may even be wearing 1-2 Slade armour pieces, making them EXTREMELY tough opponents.

However, that’s only local. What about world generation? Well...

Demonic Insurrections

During a Demonic Insurrection, hundreds, maybe even thousands of demons attempt a coordinated assault on an Underworld Spire, attempting to force out it’s normal inhabitants and establish it as a secure gateway to the above world, while the goblins and their demonic master attempt to put them down. Demonic Insurrections are VERY rare worldgen events that only occur during worldgen and may only happen per few hundred worlds. If the Insurrection fails, nothing really changes except the goblins lose possibly thousands and are weakened greatly. However, if the Insurrection succeeds, the Underworld Spire(and the Dark Fortress around it) will be permanently routed, causing the change in ages to....

The Age of Despair

“The Age of Despair was a time where the horrors of the Underworld walked the earth.”
(If have not discovered Underworld)
“The Age of Despair was a time where the horrors of the deep walked the earth.”

If a Demonic Insurrection is successful, the world immediately passes into the Age of Despair. All non-intelligent demons will wander into the wilderness to become semi-megabeast like encounters in fortress mode and adventurer mode. However, unique demons will make their own Underworld Spires, which are almost identical to the Underworld Spires made by demon masters, except without a vault and no link to the Underworld. Underworld Spires will have similar naming conventions to Goblin Dark Fortresses, will have a site symbol identical to Dark Fortresses except blood red, and be labeled “The Demonic Underworld Spire of (Name)”. These Spires are hostile to everything around them, even other Spires, though they always prefer to attack living civilisations rather than other Spires. From these Underworld Spires, the demons may gather a religious following, enslave other demons, leave and pose as a diety or even learn the secrets of life and death. All in all, the Age of Despair will be a very !!Fun!! Age for anyone embarking during it.

However, we all know that most demons are stupidly easy to kill. Most of the non-intelligent salt, steam or fire demons will likely slowly be whittled down by civs killing them in encounters, megabeasts and semi-megabeasts purging them, being slaughtered by wildlife or even being killed by their own unique demon brethren. When a sufficient amount of demons(default 80%) are killed, the world passes into the...

Age of Hope

"The Age of Hope was a time when the horrors of the Underworld no longer walked the earth in great numbers."
(If not discovered Underworld)
"The Age of Hope was a time when the horrors of the deep no longer walked the earth in great numbers."

« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 10:46:59 am by JAL28 »

Sky-Streamer

• Bay Watcher
  • You are filled with AN EXCESSIVE NUMBER OF BOLTS.
    • View Profile
Re: [SPOILERS] HFS improvements
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2020, 08:04:07 am »

Hm. Seems like a pretty decent idea! I like it, especially the Age of Despair!
Perhaps, during the AoD, Demons could and would create 'Hives' and 'Burrows'?

Burrows would be similar to the lairs of Night Trolls, with small pebbles of slade sprinkled about.
Hives would be covered in spider webs, corrosive acid or various chewed up, soft materials, similar to a mouse burrow.

Hives would be where Demons reproduce and create weapons and armor out of web and dirt with small bits of slade, giving them decent (but not amazing) protection, comparable to bronze. Burrows would simply be where intelligent demons live while they plan out their own spires.

And maybe some of the more powerful demons or large groups of demons in the Age of Despair, in adventure mode, can be seen on the world map being surrounded by a cloud of yellow, pink or crimson fog?

i told you about those stairs man
i TOLD you DOG

JAL28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2020, 10:41:39 am »

I don't think that demons actually reproduce. It is known that demons inhabit the Underworld in "uncountable" amounts, meaning they probably just come infinitely from the Underworld and form inside it from like pure evil or smth instead of reproducing like normal creatures.

It would be unlikely that normal(unintelligent) demons would have the smarts to actually build their own lairs on the scales of Spires, they would probably just take over some existing lair/cave or make a new lair like megabeasts.

Personally, I believe that only unique demons know actually how to make armour, the unintelligent demons are basically the Underworld equivalent of animals.

The fog thing is pretty cool though.

Sky-Streamer

• Bay Watcher
  • You are filled with AN EXCESSIVE NUMBER OF BOLTS.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2020, 11:17:12 am »

That's valid!
But, I've seen examples of - when demons are kept captive in small areas - them reproducing if they have genders. So, while rare, I'd say that it's possible for them to reproduce.
i told you about those stairs man
i TOLD you DOG

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2020, 06:25:59 pm »

Whats about demonic age starts after worldgen dwarves dug too deep?

Demonic hybrids. Demon did unspeakable things with dwarf/elf/goat et cetera and pregnant dwarf/elf/goat give birth to forgotten beast or titan. Also different species of demons can crossbreed and this generate new demonic specie! This may be coded just like current game's demonic experiments, but with other spheres (LUST, THRALLDOM, DEPRAVITY, LOVE et cetera) and with relationships tweaking.

Fortmode evil spreading. You breach ore vein - and get wormy tendrils grow around!

Magic demonic powers. In current game, death sphere demons can resurrect undead lieutenants and (fortmode) animate zombies, nightmare demons can summon nightmares and boogeyman, chaos demons (and some other spheres, please, help me to remember) turn creatures into experiments. Whats about more?

Demonic lairs. They need to spread evil surroundings like cities, but in smaller area. Demons do rampages that fit for their spheres (WAR demons fight, LOVE demons steal spouses, DEATH demons animate zombies, LUST demons impregnate creatures for titans birth, TORTURE demons steal creatures and put them into cages in lair).

JAL28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2020, 08:27:28 pm »

Pretty sure fortresses that dig too deep release new goblin civilizations.

And besides, that would make the AoD far too common as basically every worldgen world has a fortress or two that "digs too deep". For all the Underworld Spires, thousands of demons released it would lead to overwhelming amounts of fun, which might be a bit much especially for new players.

I mean, I don't see the issue with unique demons creating experiments much like necromancers, because the Spires themselves act quite alot like necromancer towers already.

I believe that as time passes, unique demons would get a "following", either of mortals who worship them for various reasons, or of other demons(usually unique) for guidance or some other reason. Then as their following grows they make Underworld Spires and begin conquering stuff.

Demonic Lairs are Underworld Spires or natural caves that demons dig themselves
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 08:33:55 pm by JAL28 »