Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Walls & floors, smoothed vs constructed values  (Read 5950 times)

Redman9012

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Walls & floors, smoothed vs constructed values
« on: December 09, 2020, 04:12:01 am »

So I was wondering about how to optimize room values for any nobles or guild/temple petitions one may get, and I did a little informal experiment:

I smoothed a wall and a tile of stone with an engraver, next to them, I constructed a wall and a floor using rock blocks.
After that, I created 4 1x1 areas, one for the smoothed wall, one for the smoothed floor, one for the constructed wall, and one for the constructed floor.
I assigned those areas to a different temple each, the temples only have their respective 1x1 area.
I then did the same for some unsmoothed cavern floor.
I then checked the location values for each temple, and found this:

Smooth wall:        5☼
Smooth floor:       4☼
Constructed wall:  9☼
Constructed floor: 7☼
Cavern floor:        1☼

Of course, this doesn't regard engravings, wich can easily bump up the value of natural walls & floors to great numbers if done with proficient engravers, nor the time and stone saved not making rock blocks, but I found this curious and just wanted to send my own bit of info out there for anyone to see.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
Re: Walls & floors, smoothed vs constructed values
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2020, 10:19:27 am »

I'm pretty certain block material changes the value of the constructed floor or wall but I don't know for sure. I know it makes trade depots much greater in value when using better block material.

However for value engravings are usually better. I usually have one dwarf set to smooth everything until he's Legendary, and then he starts engraving.

It goes much faster if one of your starting 7 starts at Proficient but if waiting longer to start engraving isn't a hassle don't worry about it. I don't start with one of the 7 as a smoother anymore because it's not uncommon to get a migrant that is decent at it, freeing up one of the 7 to be a scholar or soldier or some such other thing the fort is trying to do (I limit immigration via population set to 20-30 because I like growing a small fort and have labor shortages rather than more than twenty-five dwarves idling most of the time. Also invaders off until I'm ready because I don't have a lot of dwarves to draft prior to a trained squad.)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 10:31:44 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2020, 10:08:11 pm »

I'm finding this info interesting because I've honestly been avoiding using constructed walls for my more important rooms in my fortress. Mostly this has been because constructed walls couldn't be engraved, but now I'm wondering if constructed expensive walls unengraved might be better than engraved walls made of an inferior stone...
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2020, 11:11:34 pm »

My current fort has tons of obsidian, so I'm going to mine out the dirt on the upper floors and build obsidian walls in its place.  Never liked having my dwarves live in duf out dirt.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 06:18:28 am »

I doubt there's any reasonable material that can compete with a masterwork level engraving, so the current maximum value would probably be gotten by painstakingly smoothing out all engravings that weren't perfect and repeat until everything is perfect (note the uncertainty: I haven't done the research).

However, you don't really need perfect, and it's probably often more important that the player finds the result pleasing than maximizing the value for the dorf who usually get the maximum benefit from less anyway.

However, there's been talk about the ability to engrave constructed walls/floors, and if that happens (no promises have been made, of course) the home decorators can get their intricately tiled floors engraved as well, while the value maximizers can get their maximum material value ones engraved.