Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A bug, or did I accidentally change a setting?  (Read 1395 times)

cheeky_nignog

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
A bug, or did I accidentally change a setting?
« on: December 04, 2020, 07:38:33 pm »

Hey, y'all,

A pre-emptive 'thank you' for your time and help. Thank you for having me on your forums, and apologies if this is the wrong place for this post.

I'm reasonably familiar with Fortress mode, but this is my first time in Adventure. Things went well for a while before something changed the way I control the movement of my party.

In an existing world, in which I already have a fortress, I created a new adventurer and added a second party member (both dwarves, demi-god). They began at the mountainhome, gathered supplies, asked about the news, and set off. Trekked across the wilderness for a couple of days (some in the local view, some in the fast travel map view), everything going smoothly. They come across a cave and spend another day circling it, looking for the entrance. They find the entrance, go in, find nothing the whole way down to the caverns, and turn back (so as not to get lost underground). The party gets back to the surface about midday, so we keep walking (in the local view) til nightfall. They light a campfire, and go to sleep.

The next morning something is immediately different about how I control the party. I tell one dwarf what to do (drink water) and the game automatically tabs me over to the other dwarf. What's more, the first one won't carry out the action (drink water) until I tell the second dwarf to do something as well. If I manually tab back to the first dwarf it seems like the action is queued or something and it won't respond to anything until the second dwarf also has an action queued. This is especially frustrating when walking, as I can no longer just walk as one dwarf and have the second one follow. Instead if I hold a directional button the game rapidly alternates between the two.
Nothing I could think of (sleeping again, fast travelling, or even closing and restarting the game) has reset or fixed the issue.

Is this a bug? Is there a fix, or a work-around? Or have I accidentally changed some party control, or movement, setting or something?

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
Re: A bug, or did I accidentally change a setting?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2020, 10:01:42 pm »

Sounds like you've entered "Tactical Mode," which lets you control each party member in a sort-of turn-based system. It's meant for combat, when you'd want to be able to minutely control each character's actions. There should be a little green "Tac" or something somewhere on the screen (can't remember where exactly) that lets you know you're in Tactical Mode.

Shift+E is the keybind to toggle the mode, so pressing that should get you back out.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

cheeky_nignog

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: A bug, or did I accidentally change a setting?
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2020, 10:52:16 pm »

Yep. That was it. Just as you said.
Handy feature to know about too.

Thanks heaps.