Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Necromasons + Living Objects  (Read 1215 times)

Sky-Streamer

• Bay Watcher
  • You are filled with AN EXCESSIVE NUMBER OF BOLTS.
    • View Profile
Necromasons + Living Objects
« on: December 04, 2020, 11:10:32 pm »

I had a thought; Necromancers, especially Dwarves, may see their creations as an art form. If they do, they may try and create new works of art, similarly to experiments, but in a way more similar to crafting.

Thus, I came up with the idea of Necromasons. These are Necromancers with different behaviors than typical, run-of-the-mill necromancers. Instead of resurrecting corpses, they are dissected, with some organics stolen. Priority is given to Muscles and Brains. When what the necromancer desires is taken, they will either walk away or ressurect the materials they didn't want.
After this process, the Necromancer will take the materials gotten from their butchery and use it to create living tools and weapons. These tools and weapons are just made of flesh, or - if more than 25% of them is made up of brain matter - have a personality based off of whose brains it is. Here are a few categories of how these Object Personalities could be;

Mindless: These are loyal to the Necromason that crafted them. They will attack like any other undead if they are placed onto the ground.
Assistant: These are loyal to whoever holds them. If nobody does, they won't move.
Intelligent: If they are made up of more than 80% brain matter, they will hide behind doors to strike, be able to climb (if their biology allows it), and will - if a mouth is attached - be able to make weak, caveman-esque language.
Pissed: These are found discarded inside of the smaller buildings of necromancer towers, or on the plains around them. They seek to destroy literally anything, including other undead.

Like normal Dwarves, Necromasons make Artifacts sometimes. But they're not perfected flesh weapons, no.
When Necromasons enter a Strange Mood, they go on a rampage. They take a small group of undead and go on a massacre of any nearby towns or groups of fauna, quickly butchering corpses and taking what they need. After what can be weeks of collection, they hide away in their tower for days - if not weeks - until a new creature is born.
This is the Necromasons' Masterpiece, which is similar to an Undead Luitenant, crossed with a Giant, crossed with a Forgotten Beast. They are Semi-Megabeasts who are loyal to the Necromason, and will protect its creator at all costs. They are not capable of speech, and can come in many shapes, from formless blobs to towering humanoids. They all, however, are made of flesh, skin and bone.

Please tell me what you think of this idea!
i told you about those stairs man
i TOLD you DOG

Fikilili

• Bay Watcher
  • "Elves make no sense, change my mind."
    • View Profile
Re: Necromasons + Living Objects
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 09:38:21 am »

It's called an animist.
A "Necromason" would probably be someone who makes houses and furniture out of corpses.
"Military? What's that? Something to eat?"

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 10:48:26 am »

A "Necromason" would probably be someone who makes houses and furniture out of corpses.

Undead houses out of corpses.
This would be awesome, but I have no idea what the reasoning behind that could be.
"Look my bedroom is moaning the whole day so you don't have to?"

I guess this could be an idea for a different dimension / realm where everything is made out of corpses.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 10:50:23 am by Nordlicht »

Fikilili

• Bay Watcher
  • "Elves make no sense, change my mind."
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 06:50:26 pm »

Undead houses out of corpses.
This would be awesome, but I have no idea what the reasoning behind that could be.
"Look my bedroom is moaning the whole day so you don't have to?"

"I've been touched, how great it feels!"
Bomrek MagnetiteDoor is a magnetite door crafted in 367 by Shorast McNecromason the dwarf, Necromason, in the name of the fortress of GildedBeasts.
Recently, he felt euphoric being pushed by a dwarf, he felt compassion being taken by his knob, he felt disgust retching upon miasma, he felt nothing witness the birth of Moldath Babypants, he felt euphoric being pushed by a dwarf, he felt compassion being taken by his knob, he felt euphoric being pushed by a dwarf, he felt compassion being taken by his knob.
He is 7 years old, yet acts much older. He is the first one of his kind.
This is a fine magnetite door, all craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. On him is engraved an image of bones in magnetite and skeletons in magnetite. The skeletons are dancing.
He is a rather cheery companion and loves to make friends, he's particularly grateful to Shorast McNecromason the necromason for giving him life, he loves being a door. He doesn't like door haulers and loves engravers for their manerisms and fine craftdwarfship. He likes the color blue, birds for their chirping, toads for their appearances, dogs for their compassion. He hates insects in general. He has good rhetoric, but lacks any spatial sense.
He personally values friendship over law and would save his master from any danger if he could. He dreams of being pushed one day, this dream has been fulfilled many times.
"Military? What's that? Something to eat?"

LilyInTheWater

• Bay Watcher
  • Me want bite. Me want plant corn dog delight.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 05:16:36 pm »

I believe toady one has mentioned "Intelligent and semi-intelligent artifacts" on the bay 12 devpage for dwarf fortress, if this helps!
Whatchu gonna do when I'm fucking small
Like one inch tall
You won't see me coming at all

He or They pronouns

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 03:54:22 pm »

They can animate furniture or create necromancer-like experiments, but inorganic like some beasts. They exist in worlds with many minerals and will be interesting, if they turn their own body materials to local metals (blood of quicksilver or molten lead, weapongrade bones, precious fat, some metals for skin and meat too) for become immortal and tough.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2020, 05:52:35 pm »

They can animate furniture or create necromancer-like experiments, but inorganic like some beasts. They exist in worlds with many minerals and will be interesting, if they turn their own body materials to local metals (blood of quicksilver or molten lead, weapongrade bones, precious fat, some metals for skin and meat too) for become immortal and tough.

Magma men and amethyst men might be the products of this. With alchemy, we could see some wizards trying to animate matter such as wood, stones and gems in order to create golems. For exemple, someone could want to create lead men in order to have invulnerable soldiers, or obsidian men to work in fire.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2020, 11:01:30 am »

I do kind of like the idea, maybe if necromancers care a little bit more about their experiment and undead populations, they could be the reanimation branch of artisans for creating special anti-living war-equipment and general spooky decor that is outside the bounds of simply making 'trophies' of sentient races considered taboo to most and are (magically?) unique pieces of craftmanship in their own right.

A example i can think of is a bizarre kind of flail with a chattering skull on the end that takes to taunting and biting enemies having a life of its own. A fell mood kind of topical craft-subject (x100), but just another day's honest work to members in the tower out of the excess body parts left lying around in conquests that doesn't really get channelled into being risen they can run around and collect into huge stockpiles.