Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pottery - need help glazing  (Read 1933 times)

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
Pottery - need help glazing
« on: December 05, 2020, 05:12:59 am »

I searched this forum, the wiki, and the web and I'm having trouble getting earthenware items glazed.

Have a magma kiln.
Have gathered clay on hand.
Have made a variety of earthenware items.
Have cassiterite (ore) and have noted that tin bars won't work for glazing.
Have ash bars.

In the kiln, the glazing tasks are unavailable.  There must be something I'm missing.

FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pottery - need help glazing
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 07:49:18 am »

Linked stockpiles? Forbidden items?, Containers to be glazed "owned" by stockpiles or otherwise in use? No path to (some) of the items? Workshop burrow?

Those are the things I could think of off the top of my head, but that's probably not every possible cause.

Economic stone forbidden to be used for regular use ought not to be a hindrance from economic use, but you might want to try that as well.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 09:23:26 am »

Thanks Patrik, I'll check through those things and dig into it more.
The problem must be on my end, otherwise there would have been some info out there when I searched.
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 01:59:34 pm »

I think the ash must be held in a stockpile the kiln can't get at, or something, as the "make pearlash" is also reddened... But just a guess. It's not "Ash" as in the tree wood from an ash tree is it? Because I've been confused by that before.

Have you tried telling a manager to assign someone to do it, then looking at the {a}nnouncement screen for cancellation spam? Sometimes that can help diagnose the problem. Sometimes it causes more problems, of course...
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 07:23:15 pm »

It's funny what you said about the ash wood, the ash stockpile has a cherry wood bin with 10 bars of ash in it, and an empty ashen bin, lol. None of the ash bars are forbidden or tasked, and the stockpile gives to the magma kiln 3 squares away. Just in case, I deleted the "give" and made 2 new large earthenware pots (they are in the kiln and are not tasked for anything) but it made no difference.  I have 2 dworfs with both pottery & glazing skills enabled, although none have any experience in glazing yet, which shouldn't matter anyway.

BTW, also I've gone in the z-stone menu and tried it with cassiterite both restricted and non-restricted.
Neither the dwarfs nor the kiln are in any burrow.
I'm playing with no mods.

TL:DR

Did a u-m (manager) job to glaze a large clay/stone pot... and patiently waited, then watched my potter merrily glaze a pot!
(Even though I still can't add those jobs in the kiln's q-a (they are still showing red), the manager worked.)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 05:02:29 am »

If you use linked stockpiles everything needed has to be in stockpiles giving to the kiln, i.e. ash, cassiterite, and pots, although they don't have to be in the same stockpile. Obviously, removing all of the links bypasses that problem.

And, glazing requires wood ash, but I don't think DF keeps track of whether it's ash ash, birch ash, or wagon wood ash.

If all of your ash bars aren't stored in barrels jobs to move them into barrels may lock the barrel contents from being accessible by the kiln (which is why I don't use barrels to store anything but fluids, or bins to store anything but garbage to be disposed of via the trade depot). If hauling locks cause your problems the manager might have gotten lucky in issuing the order in a hauling lock window.
If that's the case, stopping ash production and forbidding all ash bars that are not already stored in the barrel (including bars in the stockpile but not yet in the barrel) should result in the bars being available, although that might require an unpause/pause to get DF to update things.