Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: [Completed] [SinglePlayer] The Doomed World of Sil Kodor 125-184  (Read 24756 times)

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
Re: The Doomed World of Sil Kodor: A Demon Mobility Experiment
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2021, 04:18:31 pm »

The 'dying civ' bit may not be as big a problem as it looks; I found out in the legends export from year 2 that the game is spawning dwarves to make its migrant waves, and I doubt it changed strategy since then - HopeWork has now reached 140 dwarves, while the old human tomb that serves as home numbers 200 individuals, according to the civ screen.

So in 8 years, a dying civ that numbered ~150 people has suddenly ballooned to nearly 350.
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2021, 03:26:20 pm »

Extra - The Two Necros

The two necromancers,  Mörul HeatedDikes and Eman CeilingBends, are shaping up to be the cause of much trouble in this world - all the necromantic experiments have originated from these two guys. Naturally, I wondered how they look in Legends.

The tower as it shows in the civilization menu:

A map of all the tower’s holdings (maybe?), and a few other important locations. When I first saw this image, I thought the Tower was holding all those sites with a white label; I think I was wrong, because some of them are held by other civilizations - for instance, the dark pit of GhoulSpiraled, which appears marked on the map above, but is held by goblins:

Mörul HeatedDikes is shaping up to be the Big Bad Evil Guy of Sil Kodor. He’s one of the primordial dwarves, having appeared in the world fully formed at an apparent age of 66. He was, regrettably, a part of our civilization. He became obsessed with his mortality in the year 15, acquired a slab named AshenBury in 23, and until 50 managed to sit in ClanWorks; then people noticed he’s not aging, so he fled. The slab was directly granted by the death goddess Vesh - it was both created and claimed on the 1st of Felsite.

He quickly formed The Amazing Pages, which he leads to this day; two years after, in 52, the tower of SoothedPaints was founded. Between 77 and 79, he undertakes the bulk of his necromantic work. In 91, he began waging war upon his former civilization, and in 95 he has conquered ClanWorks, his old fortress. The conflict between our civ and his faction is known as The Scalded War, and it lasts to this day.

In the year 70, Morul took Eman CeilingBends as an apprentice, and taught him the secrets of life and death. He’s had many more students, both living and dead, but this one is the only official apprentice.

Eman CeilingBends is the second and last 'proper' necromancer in the world of Sil Kodor. He's a lot less interesting - he's a human born in 27, made necromancer in 70, and killed in 73 by a crocodile man in the dark pit of GhoulSpiraled. GhoulSpiraled in general has problems with crocodile people. Surprisingly, he’s an Expert Consoler, the kind of feature I wouldn’t expect from somebody who twisted dwarves into Soldiers of Eman, and dogs into spiders.

In 77, the first infection of a human with “a contagious ghoulish condition” has occurred; I presume this is the plague ghoul thing. Incidentally, the affected human’s next recorded action is 4 years later, when she authored a book about Morul, in the tower; there’s no record of her leaving or being expelled from her old civilization.

As to his more private matters, Morul fathered five children, four with the former Queen of Dwarves Lorbam DiamondOpen, and a fifth with a random dwarfette divorcee in 17; I take it by then his relationship with the queen had become strained, or even ended. None of his children took after either of the parents, but two of their five grandchildren did: Kogan and Reg.

Kogan and Reg are the only two children of Alath LensBreed, youngest child of Morul & Lorbam, and of Rith BustPlans, second Queen of dwarves. Kogan ChannelGorges has become the third queen of The Fountain of Quickness, after her mother’s death; she ruled for all of three years, before being struck down by one of her grandfather’s many students in the fall of ClanWork. Reg ArmorWhip unwillingly became a necromancer in 77, when his grandfather personally infected him with “a contagious ghoulish condition”; at the time, he was fighting on behalf of a human civilization that grandpa was attacking. He continued to travel the world until 95, when he settled in ClanWork (right after its conquest); he lived there until his death in 124, when The Amazing Pages lost ClanWork to a forgotten beast.

As to his extended family:

Queen Lorbam DiamondOpen has ruled from year 1 to 55, when she was shot and killed by a goblin during a siege of ClanWorks. She never married Morul, despite having had all her four children by him. In 99, Morul raised her from the dead in ClanWork; interestingly, he waited four years before touching her corpse. Presumably, she stayed in ClanWork afterwards, until 125 when she travelled to OpenBook, and joined in the slaughter of my original raiding party.

Queen Rith BustPlans ruled from 56 to 91; she’s unrelated to the previous queen, but was tied by marriage. She was born in year 5, married Alath in 25, had children in 47 and 51, divorced him in 53, became queen and settled in ClanWork in 56. She remarried in 82, but this second marriage resulted in no children. Just like her predecessor, she was raised from the dead by Morul in 99, and left for OpenBook in 125.

Queen Kogan ChannelGorges was born in 51. In 79, she escaped SwallowedShoot (this fortress was conquered by the tower two years prior), and travelled until 87, when she settled in ClanWork. The rest of her life was already shown: she became queen in 92, and was killed in 95, when ClanWork fell; she was not resurrected.

The Fountain of Quickness then had no king or queen until 125, when Anthil Grandlock assumed the title. Briefly. Very, very briefly. Once again, oops.

Speaking of Queen Kogan, she was also involved in this bit of insanity:

Those three demons are the rulers of the three goblin civilizations. So apparently they all dropped by a dwarven mountainhome, and had a friendly spar with some random dwarfette (you can tell it was friendly because nobody died).

Necromantic experiments:

The letter after the name is how they show up on screen. Some are trap-avoid, some aren’t, even in the same caste. Building destroyer is a bit harder to test; one depot got torn down, but a marble door wasn’t.

By Mörul HeatedDikes

HeatedDikes’s Fists (H) - normal size, three-eyed humanoid, created in 79 from humans. Black skin, rough and cracked. Large mandibles.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Night’s Hound (S) - a normal size creature, despite being described as a small feathered scorpion. Created in 79 from dogs. Has a pair of squat antennae, fluffy charcoal feathers.

Experiment of Vushimush (b) - a feathered armless biped, created accidentally in 79 from goblins; the experiments have gone wrong. It has a pair of knobby antennae, and black, patchy feathers.

Creature of Bunemlogem (S) - very large scaly scorpion, made in 79 from mules. Charcoal scales, blocky and set far apart.

Lastly, Plague ghouls have no unifying physical characteristics; they are whatever creature they were before getting ghoulified. I think they were the first type of creature made by Morul; there’s a report from 77 in which a human woman is infected with “a contagious ghoulish condition”; I guess it’s this, because all other experiments date from 79.

By Eman CeilingBends.

Soldiers of Eman (H) - large one-eyed humanoid, created in 72 from dwarves. 3 long straight tails, skin is charcoal & waxy.

Nightmare of Night (B) - very large scaly blob, created accidentally in 72 from trolls; the experiments have gone wrong. It has a stubby tail, and black scales, round and close-set.

Anripuja’s Wolf (S) - a scaly spider, created in 72 from dogs. Has 2 stubby horns, and black scales, small and overlapping

Folly of CeilingBends (b) - a hairy, limbless blob, created accidentally in 72 from goblins; the experiments have gone wrong. It has two long straight tails, and charcoal hair. (The only body parts are the body and the left & right tail; this creature doesn’t have a head, or arms, or legs).
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 03:36:44 pm by StrikaAmaru »
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2021, 02:28:43 am »

Year 8 (132)

‘Next year’ begins with another siege of mounted goblins; this one’s even bigger than last autumn’s one -  1 page of trolls, 3 pages of beak dogs, and 3 pages of goblins. Half the goblins are skilled, the others are raw recruits.

Inside the fort, jobs are being assigned. By the 4th of Granite, even dwarves have gotten tired with the break; I have 60 idlers, as none of them are either praying or partying, or spending time in the guilds, or whatever. I’m not counting reading among the activities, since although I made a library as far back as year 3, I never assigned either scholars or scribes, and the fort still only has a single book - a treatise about the goblin dark pit BadDabbled, taken from the corpse of a goblin invader. Neither humans nor dwarves sell books in the caravan, only scrolls and parchment.

Advancing the state of knowledge in Sil Kodor was not one of my original goals… but perhaps some legendaries can find time to put their experience on paper? The farmers, for example; there are four legendary farmers (including King Tholtig), and food production has been ramped down for years. They’re assigned as scholars, along with some other legendaries, and the fort’s only two dwarves who know how to write are added as scribes.

This season is being plagued by crashes. A LOT of crashes. Eventually, I just close everything besides Dwarf Fortress and Therapist, and the problem seems to go away. Despite this, I choose to blame the goblins on the surface.

While the new invasion is making its way into the ‘fort’, the old goblin invasion needs to be culled; if nothing else, the cages will soon be needed. Some 30 trolls, and a few beak dogs and goblins, have been marked for pasturing. They’re all killed without any incident, unless one counts the spectacular cratering of military morale.

The civilians are all fine, despite having to haul and dump the remnants of the slaughter, but among the 50 troops, we now have 14 unhappy dwarves, and 2 very unhappy ones, who both underwent temporary breakdowns.

All these goblins who are attacking us come from a civilization named The Taut Omen-Seduction. Since that makes no sense, I’ll shorten it to TOS, and refer to its members as ‘tossers’.

Six years ago when the Legends export was made, the tossers had 3,426 Goblins, 24 Humans and 23 Dwarves as members. This makes them the second largest goblin civ, after the Disgusting Dungeons who have nearly 6,000 goblins, and enough brains to focus on the tower -- we’re at peace with them, and so are the humans. For the sake of completeness: the Disgusting Dungeons, undisputed world power; half of all sentients of Sil Kodor are a member of this civilization.

And the comparatively much smaller Ivory Monsters, who have barely 1,200 members in 3 active sites, and are also at peace with us & fighting only the tower.

Incidentally, all these 3 civs are led by demons, and each demon has its own vault in the world; two of them are within the reach of the tower, but the tower had more sense than to go poke at them.

Summer. After all the large clothing is sold to the humans, the military receives its first mission. They start easy, exploring two abandoned dark pits.

They return soon after, nothing new has happened in the dead sites. Also, no change has been done in the stats of the exploring dwarves; part of why I sent them on a raid was to up their sneaking abilities, but clearly going in an uninhabited place isn’t a reason to be sneaking.

(I’m also getting frustrated by the dwarves dumping their armor and gear at the edge of the map, when arriving back; but that’s tolerable).

Almost by accident, the civilization map exploration also stops on dreaded ClanWorks; it’s listed as uninhabited, and chock full of the treasure of dwarvenkind:

Since none of these books appear to hold the secrets of life and death, a scouting party is sent with orders to retrieve whatever treasure they can manage. Then I get greedy, and send two more, with the same orders.

All 30 dwarves return in almost the same day, without any issues; no mention of demons whatsoever. They’ve brought a book each, as I expected; old ClanWork is a great deal poorer now:

Raiding will continue, after the season change; either my scouts will find the missing demons, or they’ll turn Clanwork into an empty shell of its former self, and HopeWork will truly become the capital of dwarvenkind.

Speaking of: while looking around, I find out HopeWork is not in fact the mountainhome, despite the king living here. If the dwarven caravan comes over, they’ll be gifted enough to push us over the edge.

Autumn. A goblin siege has reached us; this is not acceptable, as I had plans for the dwarven caravan. Luckily for us, the attackers are extremely green in more than the obvious way:

The army is assembled, and sent to slaughter them; through the trap corridor, ‘cause I won’t just open the fort to invaders. The three squads that have been a-raiding are still buck-naked, but this won’t matter in the end -- by the 10th, within five short days of fighting, the siege is broken:

Despite this, the caravan still doesn’t arrive. Bleh.

For the rest of autumn and winter, troops were left to re-equip themselves, while all other dwarves were busy constructing the outer walls, maintaining the fort, and laying the groundwork for some proper guilds and temples. But by the end of the year, there are still 26 naked people in the fortress. And it’s not like they lack equipment, either; they just aren’t wearing it.

But now it’s late at night, year 8 is ending, and I’m going to file this under problems for future Strika. Tomorrow is Sunday, and I expect I’ll solve both the clothing problem, and the location problem then.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2021, 11:32:45 pm »

iirc, dfhack has a command to strip ownership of clothing from the dwarves, so they'll start searching for new clothes. It might fix the issue you're having here as well. Things are looking pretty exciting for HopeWork! I'll be glad to see the revival of the dwarves under your rule in that benighted world.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2021, 04:00:05 am »

This fort seems to be having a better time with the raids than any other fort I've looked at, did they manage to fix the thing that caused raids to crash the game?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2021, 05:12:25 am »

This fort seems to be having a better time with the raids than any other fort I've looked at, did they manage to fix the thing that caused raids to crash the game?

yes but no, there's been a couple of patches that address some causes, for example the military equipment corruption bug was one of the causes, even if toady didnt find the root cause. Me personally I've raided loads of times in nearly every fort i done and even in my 30 year old fort of mirrormountain none of them have been corrupted.

At least you can order your military to raid naked if needed :3

Major bug fixes
   (*) Fixed w.g. crash related to dark fortress civs having fixed positions not held by demons
   (*) Fixed zero-size creature crash
   (*) Fixed off-site werebirth crash
   (*) Stopped visitors from siding against fort in any conflict where the fort's tame megabeasts are involved
   (*) Made cave adaption negative effects less frequent
   (*) Made people get used to seeing dead bodies
   (*) Stopped corpse raising, shapeshifting and non-living non-vampire visitors
   (*) Made basic friendships easier to form for slow-to-love people

Other bug fixes/tweaks
   (*) Made people that work outside a lot get used to bad weather
   (*) Made valuable food satisfy good meal thought in addition to preferences
   (*) Added some additional dwarf chat types to meet some other needs and reduce stress
   (*) Stopped many minor thoughts from forming memories
   (*) Removed stress from migrants (e.g. ones from old forts)
   (*) Vengefulness is no longer stressful (as it was mainly related to defending others from attacking animals)
   (*) Changed balance of migrant professions
   (*) Patched one form of military item corruption on load (root cause not identified)
   (*) Expulsion exception 'child not present' now only applies to minor children
   (*) Fixed MUNDANE and HAS_ANY_CAN_SWIM for interactions/transformations
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2021, 01:20:03 am »

So far no raids that I conducted crashed the game; I did have a few apparently random crashes (especially when DF had competition for RAM or CPU), but none associated with raids.

As for the armor situation, spoiler for the next 2-3 years: it was ultimately resolved by disbanding the offending squads, and by crafting more masterwork armor. From what I could tell, the sequence of events was:
- the first in the list squads used to have masterwork steel armor; the further down you go, the more excellent armor there is.
- squads go on raids, when arriving they drop and relinquish all armor and weapons.
- the later squads claim the now unused masterworks.
- the first squads utterly refuse to claim any of the now available excellents.
- after members of the squad were removed and new ones recruited, the new guys also refused to pick up armor.
- when the old squad members were placed in a freshly-created squad, they had no problem picking excellent armor.

There are some snags in this hypothesis, mainly that all of the new masterworks crafted after 132 were not picked up either. But, spoilers for 134: the eventual solution was to make more masterwork steel armor, and to redo the army.

EDIT:
iirc, dfhack has a command to strip ownership of clothing from the dwarves, so they'll start searching for new clothes. It might fix the issue you're having here as well.
Would that be the venerable cleanowned? That command has been used consistently after each military change -- not to manage clothing, but to strip ownership of food items that the former military dwarves still claim.

Things are looking pretty exciting for HopeWork! I'll be glad to see the revival of the dwarves under your rule in that benighted world.

You should love the update for 135, then. :D
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 02:38:00 am by StrikaAmaru »

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2021, 04:52:08 am »

Year 9 (133)

Astute readers may remember that I ordered all sorts of colored stones from the caravan - kimberlite, kaolinite, olivine, bismuthinite, and so on (plus gold, of which we have none on the map). The goal of that was to have “all 16 colors of the 4-bit rainbow”, as I put it once; and the reason I wanted that, was that at some point in a fort’s life all the guilds and temples pile up, and blend into one another. Some topical floor art goes a long way towards keeping track of the entire mess.

HopeWork has, at this point, 6 guilds (farmer, crafts, ranger, stoneworker, bonecarver, mason); we’ll also create 6 temples (for fortresses, minerals, jewels, metals, wealth and mountains). We won’t be creating a temple to the goddess Vesh, despite her having 26 worshippers in this fort; she’s responsible for an awful lot of trouble that has befallen civilization in general, and us in particular.

As a first action for the year, the naked dwarves get booted out of the military. Of the five squads, only the marksdwarves are left unmolested (they weren't sent on any raids). For the melee troops, two squads are only emptied; I like the names and want to keep them. The last one is destroyed, it had a silly nonsensical name anyway. While the now civilian 30 dwarves go around picking clothes, the rest of the fortress is hauling the building materials into what will eventually become the communal temple:

The floor art is kinda hit and miss, in my opinion. Of some of them I’m proud -- the plump helmet in the farmer’s guildhall, the amulet in the crafts dwarves' guildhall, and the fort tower in the temple for Kogsak, god of fortresses. Others are kinda meh -- that glorified dot at center left is supposed to be a chunk of dug out ore, and denote Id, the god of minerals; the skull for the bonecarver’s guild looks a bit derpy, and the cut gem decorating the temple to Kadol is a bit too tall (but if I make it shorter, the detail will drop significantly).

Some are just ugly -- the crossbow for the ranger’s guild did not come out well, and the ring for the stone workers' guild is rather bland, and not necessarily intuitive. The masons’ guild hasn’t been decorated yet, as I don’t know what to use for them; going by what they do in this fort, I should put down an image of cut stone blocks.

Autumn. The dwarven caravan arrived, and was given some 30,000 dorfbucks. That should be enough to meet the capital requirements.

Winter. We have a new invasion, and a new kind of undead:

A Beast of Night (Q) is a non-sentient undead created by Eman from mules. At least one of them is not trap-avoid.

A bunch of experiments originating from animals rush ahead of the army; they’re pelted by arrows from the tower, where crossbow dwarves had been training before. Since these enemies have neither armor nor any particular resistance, many get killed in this way. Those that make it in demonstrate that they are, in fact, building destroyers; it just takes them a while.

Another interesting thing happened while the invasion began: we nearly got robbed.

A former human, and current empty butcher, has visited our fort last year, and has been leaning on our dwarves to secure an artifact cat bone pickaxe. Unfortunately for her, the patsy she has picked was seen stealing said artifact from its rightful place in the temple of minerals.

An investigation was conducted, and the patsy was condemned to jail for theft; the instigator, despite having been caught red-handed, cannot be punished through normal means.

But the twenty military dwarves that remember to wear armor can still inflict their own brand of justice.

Meanwhile, the rest of the siege is just loitering on the north-eastern corner, where they spawned. They don’t move for nearly two months, and by that time, I’m deeply frustrated with my army.

The skilled troops have been reassembled into their old squads as soon as the invasion started; but they’re still not wearing any armor. There are plenty of excellent armor pieces, which lay unused -- I’m beginning to suspect these raging primadonnas will only accept masterworks. That’s a problem, because all masterworks are currently in use, and I’ve long ran out of steel bars.

My first solution, if it can be called that, is to remove some 20 of the ~30 raider dwarves out of the military. Instead, the squads are filled with less skilled, or unskilled, dwarves; these guys also don’t pick up any excellent armor, so they get booted right back out.

Since military operations cannot await for dwarven sensibilities, the squads will still be sent out - despite being either unarmored but armed, or fully kitted out but understrength. Eventually, the first of these options wins out, on the grounds that they’ll be facing the relatively weak vanguard of non-sentient experiments.

These tend to go down reasonably easy, and this stage is completed without any dwarven deaths. Then the corridor is cleared, and the traps are reset. Now the military can rest, until the invaders finally move.

By now, Obsidian has begun, and the sentient portions of the siege finally are moving towards the corridor’s entry; the marksdwarves are in the tower, dutifully launching bolts one level below. This has the unexpected effect of causing the Soldiers of Eman to start using their own spitball attack -- but they don’t aim at the archery tower, for some reason; they’re throwing globs of extract in all possible directions, including into the shields of their fellow undead. They’re also delaying, and I’m starting to think that’s the most important thing that happened at this stage of the invasion.

The end of winter sees very few invaders going into the corridor; instead, they’ve chosen to spread out towards the west. There is a pack of wild boars over there, but still. Priorities, guys. Twenty skilled marksdwarves have been shooting at you constantly, and there’s a fort of juicy dwarves at your feet; is this really the time to go running after bacon?

Year 10 (134)

My rhetorical question was answered with a resounding yes; they did, in fact, go running after bacon. And they also ran in the corridor. With enemy forces conveniently split, my sub-par military can charge them, and hopefully not die.

For the next two months, the army of HopeWork engages isolated clumps of experiments and zombies. After sitting in a compact mass for almost all winter, now the invaders have rapidly spread out over two edges of the map; mostly to the north and west. The military manages to slaughter all of them, with only two casualties from the melee squads.

The invaders did manage to show a flaw in my defenses: fortifications can be climbed well enough, if there is a floor on top of them. That’s a flaw I need to fix after the end of the invasion.

The invasion lasts until late spring, much like the previous tower invasion; at 5 months and change, it’s the shortest one so far. And much like the previous tower invasion, it resulted in a spectacular amount of large clothes for the human caravan.

At the bottom of the world, the unusable excellent armor gets marked for melting; I estimate some 350-400 pieces. There are also some excellent weapons that are lying unused because there are always more masterworks to be picked up; they go the same way. We did manage to create some masterworks, but they are still not being picked up; I don’t see any other choice, but to start disbanding squads and hope that whatever bugs they have will vanish with them.

Autumn. We are, at long last, the mountainhome. I missed screenshotting the message (and it wasn’t logged in announcements either), but it was the usual “the king and his entourage have arrived”. The king, I have to point out, is one of our founding seven, so no he did not, in fact, arrive; he’s been here for a whole bloody decade. What did arrive, however, was the outpost liaison along with two bodyguards; he proceeded to demand nobiliary rooms only one hair below the king’s. Well, I needed to dig some marble anyway.

Winter. The goblins are back, this time from the south. There are some 250 of them, and they don’t seem to want to move. The trolls are heading towards the entrance, but not the beak dogs and goblins.

Once again, about half the goblins are skilled and the second half are recruits; this seems to be the norm for tossers. More interestingly, I get the first proof that invaders have some permanence -- one of the beak dogs that I turned into a plague ghoul has returned:

This makes it possible for me to maybe wipe out the offending goblin civilization; looking at their holdings, only the central Dark Pit of BadDabbled has any significant numbers; the other four can conceivably be ruined by motivated dwarves:

Which is all well and good, except for one tiny detail: half our army is still mostly naked.

So I make some harsh decisions: the last two melee squads get disbanded. This marks the demise of all squads that have been raiding; our active military right now consists of two marksdwarves squads. I wait until mid-winter, and the goblins have not moved from their spawn point; if anything, they’ve gone slightly towards the East, in the opposite direction to the entrance.

Alright then. A full military reorganization is underway. All existing squads are disbanded, and all commanders are dismissed. For good measure, DFHack is involved, to run cleanowned X a few times; the main purpose is to force the now-former squaddies to relinquish their meals. It also forces a few civilians to ditch their tattered clothing so all is well.

Anybody who’s unhappy is marked as such, and won’t be re-enlisted; at this point there are 5 such dwarves; they can go carve totems until they calm down. Six new commanders are picked - four melee, two marksdwarves; half of them get squads too, from the most skilled dwarves. And lo and behold, all of them pick armor without problems; most of it masterworks, but there are some excellent quality items here and there.

Obviously, this all takes time; the goblin forces have been ignored, and they ignored us in turn. Winter is ending, they will soon leave, and I still intend to come to them at some point in the future. This fortress was initially made to wait for any demonic activity from its poor neighbor; I have to fill the time with something, don’t I?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 10:24:34 am by StrikaAmaru »

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2021, 12:56:04 pm »

Did their "opposed to life" beak dog attack the others as soon as the siege started? It'd certainly be an interesting form of biological warfare to send the plague running rampant through the dark fortress. Also, do you know what syndromes that spit causes?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2021, 02:34:29 pm by tonnot98 »
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2021, 05:01:32 am »

I feel like releasing a bunch of naked dwarves upon our enemies should scare a few of the attackers off.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2021, 03:40:27 am »

Did their "opposed to life" beak dog attack the others as soon as the siege started? It'd certainly be an interesting form of biological warfare to send the plague running rampant through the dark fortress. Also, do you know what syndromes that spit causes?

The plague ghouls don't change allegiance at all -- I got several beak dogs infected, and none of them turned on its companions; neither when they were first infected, nor this one who returned.

The spitballs, or ichor, or blood, don't have any serious syndromes. One of them *might* cause a bit of nausea; after fights there have been several soldiers who were resting in the hospital, and they've all left within the week. Plus, the ichor from HeatedDikes' Fists causes some minor bleeding and nothing more; this one's usually blocked by clothes and armor, so it usually affects animals.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2021, 11:29:00 pm »

Night’s Hound (S) - a normal size creature, despite being described as a small feathered scorpion. Created in 79 from dogs. Has a pair of squat antennae, fluffy charcoal feathers.

Experiment of Vushimush (b) - a feathered armless biped, created accidentally in 79 from goblins; the experiments have gone wrong. It has a pair of knobby antennae, and black, patchy feathers.

Creature of Bunemlogem (S) - very large scaly scorpion, made in 79 from mules. Charcoal scales, blocky and set far apart.

Lastly, Plague ghouls have no unifying physical characteristics; they are whatever creature they were before getting ghoulified. I think they were the first type of creature made by Morul; there’s a report from 77 in which a human woman is infected with “a contagious ghoulish condition”; I guess it’s this, because all other experiments date from 79.

By Eman CeilingBends.

Soldiers of Eman (H) - large one-eyed humanoid, created in 72 from dwarves. 3 long straight tails, skin is charcoal & waxy.

Nightmare of Night (B) - very large scaly blob, created accidentally in 72 from trolls; the experiments have gone wrong. It has a stubby tail, and black scales, round and close-set.

Anripuja’s Wolf (S) - a scaly spider, created in 72 from dogs. Has 2 stubby horns, and black scales, small and overlapping

Folly of CeilingBends (b) - a hairy, limbless blob, created accidentally in 72 from goblins; the experiments have gone wrong. It has two long straight tails, and charcoal hair. (The only body parts are the body and the left & right tail; this creature doesn’t have a head, or arms, or legs).
[/spoiler]

I really enjoyed these descriptions, thank you. its super fun to imagine hordes and hordes of these malformed nightmares flowing towards you.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2021, 02:09:59 am »

Year 11 (135)

Spring begins with the re-creation of the fourth and fifth squads, which gather up the last skilled military dwarves in the fortress, and the last of the armor. We now have 46 dwarves under arms; as soon as our legendary armor-smith makes more masterworks, we’ll have 50. 

The rest of the fortress is mostly occupied with constructing defenses on the surface.

Autumn. A new goblin siege has arrived, from the North-East and without any beak dogs. Seems the two dark pits in that direction, MenaceMold and AllyCurse, don’t have any war beasts, and have some really untrained troops too. Further compounding their misfortune, HopeWork now has 50 dwarves under arms, well trained and fully kitted out. We're not even bothering with the trap corridor: the poor siege is attacked on the surface, through the nearest bridge, and completely slaughtered within the first 6 days.

We have had a six day war, though it went significantly better than Colonel Bagshot predicted.

The dwarven caravan arrived this year, too.

On my side, I’m faced with a dilemma: I just unfucked the military; do I or do I not want to risk re-fucking it?

It’s not really a question: I do. Over the course of the remaining two months in the season, four expeditions are sent out, all against the tossers.

The first target is MenaceMold, which survives the first raid with casualties; nothing was retrieved from it:

The second target is AllyCurse; despite having 40 inhabitants, it’s destroyed on the first raid:

The third target is again MenaceMold; this time it doesn’t survive:

The fourth and last target is the goblin pit of SinBlock; this one’s an almost exact match for AllyCurse, and also breaks on the first invasion; we got a book out of it too:

SinBlock had 60 inhabitants two years ago, but now has dropped to 40. They get raided by 40 of our dwarves; the only squad left home are the marksdwarves of the amazingly named Constructive Violences, who have one member in the clink. Not for violence, but for breaking one of the king’s many orders for traction benches.

The army still has some clothing issues, but they're minimal now; only the last squad is dropping anything, and even then it’s only a few pieces here and there, not everything they wore or carried, like in previous cases.

By the end of the same season, MenaceMold is resettled by the neighboring Disgusting Dungeons. That took them less than a month; I’m honestly a bit impressed.

We should settle down now; I’m almost certain an invasion will come in winter, and TaxDoomed, with its 100 inhabitants, seems like a tougher nugget. From the tower, the only viable targets are the tower itself, the dark pit of WanderMaligned, and the former fortress of… ugh. SwallowedShoot. Which supposedly has only 10 inhabitants and is very near to us.

‘Course, being owned by the tower, that should read as “10 sentient inhabitants, and who knows how many zombies and experiments".

The tower itself will be attacked later, and it seems to have fallen on hard times: it started out with 200 inhabitants, and now is listed at 100… seems all my killing of invaders is indeed improving SilKodor:

Also for later: OpenBook, which might be uninhabited (maybe), but looks ripe for looting:

Winter.

Spoiler: "The entire siege" (click to show/hide)

Oh, that's new! The tower's AI changed strategy: the animal-derived experiments are staying back this time, while the Soldiers and Fists are charging ahead, along with some 20 living goblins and humans; none of this aids them, because they file through the corridor, get separated, and get picked up one by one by the stationed melee dwarves. By mid-winter, the siege is broken; all sapient invaders have been killed (or caged, in the case of six of them), and the animals have simply left.

The tower was further diminished by this misadventure:

The truly interesting part was that the mercenaries are immune to cage traps -- normally, goblins and humans don’t enjoy such privileges. I’m thinking it’s a variant of the behavior found in human sieges, when any trap that was seen by a diplomat is bypassed by the invaders. Still, I don’t know who might have served as ‘diplomat’, given that any tower critter that has ever seen those traps was either killed during the siege, or is idling the years in a cage. Maybe some invader left during the siege with the information, and was missed in the chaos.

To test this hypothesis, I'll deconstruct and rebuild some of the cages.

The other interesting part is that we had 4 fatalities, all of them from the crossbow dwarves, and all of them ultimately caused by bizarre pathing.

Both squads of crossbow dwarves were stationed in the fortified tower, for the purpose of putting bolts into any fool who might try to enter the fort. The inside of the tower can’t be accessed from the surface at all; its only entry is a 1-wide stairway going up from its basement. Despite this, all these fools somehow went ‘to stations’ through the trap corridor. Not for collecting equipment, not for provision, not on break; to stations.

And I cannot emphasize enough: the stationing point is one level above ground, and inaccessible from the outside. They were not the only ones either; it got bad enough that I removed archers from duty and left the melee squads unsupported.

How the archery tower looks:

Trivia: the winged Catastrophes of Vushim are capable of flight:
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 02:16:35 am by StrikaAmaru »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2021, 05:19:45 am »

Those necromancers sure do like to spew out the experiments when they attack the fort, do they ever send regular zombies?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7