Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18

Author Topic: Revenant  (Read 31663 times)

WyrdByrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Revenant: Absent Flame
« Reply #106 on: February 09, 2021, 11:38:13 pm »

Help out the leaden skeleton. He’ll need to select for something core compatible.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
Revenant
« Reply #107 on: February 26, 2021, 04:06:07 am »

Shalva
Mrush'shalva practically leaps forwards and hugs Fourteen with all four of her arms. She certainly feels a certain warmness in her chest, though somehow it doesn't seem physical. For now, the cold is staved off.
Is it, physical, either? It certainly feels that was to an extent, but...

Fourteen isn't particularly pleased to be hugged by the equivalent of a recent corpse, but sees no reason not to bear it. If she's made it her task to help this... woman, then a friendly, cold vice grip is only a small price to pay. Though the conspicuous lack of a heart beat to match her own is somewhat disturbing.

Once released, she walks up the slightly rickety wooden steps of the temple and holds open the door. When Shalva tries to rush through she catches the lamia corpse's arm and ties the white thread around her wrist.
It does burn a little, like touching the edge of a metal spoon left in boiling water. The sting feels insignificant compared to the ice in Shalva's heart, however.

The temple itself is small; Shalva heard from human travelers about huge temples to many gods, with long rows of seating and a high pulpit from which the preist would shout and tell grand stories. This place is not like that. Though the structure itself is all wooden, and the architecture jarringly angular, it's a tidy and comfortable space. The front room  doesn't have long rows of seating, but simply a few wooden chairs in a circle, all identical. In fact, that's all there is: a white ring painted in the floor, a half dozen simple chairs, and tiny windows or candles for lighting.

Indeed, where a proper temple to Samsaa would be well-supplied with skull totems for ritual use, there's no equivalent here. Shalva feels comfortable here, but this place is strange. Overwhelmingly bare.

Fourteen doesn't stop here, and takes Shalva through another door, to the back of the temple... which would just be Fourteen's living quarters, essentially.
There's a bed, a stove, a loft, and other furniture for living. But at the center, in a perfectly circular depression digging down into the dirt, is... an altar, of sorts. A blank, negative space in which a pure, motionless white flame does the inactive equivalent of blaze. Just seeing it, Shalva can tell that it's a pure manifestation of something destructive. Rending Light.

Fourteen kneels in front of the Light and stares into it, seekingly.
"Still a few hours until sunrise. When the town wakes up, they'll be confused, probably scared. We'll have to rebury or destroy the dead."
She pauses for a moment still, watching the motionless Light, before shuffling to her bed and almost falling into it.
"...I have to rest until then. In the morning, we'll go out together and clean this up."

Bird
The crow just heckin starts flying. It already knows which way north is, so it starts flying that way. The capital won't be directly in that direction, but it won't be hard to follow big roads to the right place.

Leaving the graveyard, it passes over several large ruins, essentially buried under vegetation in the woods. Despite living near these ruins, the people of the nearby village don't disturb them.

Before too much more flying, the bird, which is thinking that it should be called Moldbin, well, Moldbin spots another little town. Which seems to be on fire. Not one to pass up a potential opportunity, Moldbin flies in closer to investigate!

Fro the sky, the undead crow takes stock of the situation. It seems that flaming zombies, which are on fire, are manually disassembling their former homes, which are also on fire, and dragging the flaming pieces to a huge bonfire in the middle of the village, which Moldbin observes to be very, very on fire. The air is charged and faint demonic screaming can be heard, even from the sky.

There's no sign of life down there, at least of the non-undead, non-demonic kind. But then, Moldbin hasn't looked very hard, maybe it should do a few more circles. Or maybe it should get outta here, this could get dodgy.

Henric and Tom
[Manipulation + Druidcraft: 12]
[Manipulation + Magical Theory + Assistance: 17]

Henric gathers up some flammable material and crafts a fine hobo-pile of tinder. It probably wouldn't serve well as a campfire without any actual firewood, but as a test of metaphysical ability, it's just perfect.
Henric stares at the pile through empty sockets, grinning. It's the only real expression he has. Anyways, he searches deep within himself, though he's not quite sure what he's looking for. Stuff like the stuff that the druid was explaining, surely, but what does that feel like? Well, all that's inside of Henric's chest is stale air, which can't really be used to start a fire, so it must be something else, somewhere else. Still within but not physical.
Henric feels something funny within himself, which he has perhaps felt wiggle and itch before, for it it certainly a part of him. But before, he never really paid it much mind. Now though-

A metaphysical mass at the base of the mound of tinder deepens and stretches out, drawing itself in heat. Deeper, deeper. Now, something visual; a flickering flame erupts, gradually consuming the tinder. But, perhaps predictably, it is not a familiar red-orange flame, but rather a familiar black flame. Well, it only became familiar relatively recently, but Henric thinks he knows a black flame when he sees one, and this is that.

The flame gradually intensifies, eventually becoming a respectable blaze. It... whispers.
"Feed... Feed me... Hungry..."

Spoiler: Henric, the Henric (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bird, Minor Nuisance (click to show/hide)

((Current location has been added to the character spoilers, and will hopefully be updated unlike all the other things I forget to update.))

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Revenant
« Reply #108 on: February 26, 2021, 10:12:38 pm »

Do I see any books?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
Revenant
« Reply #109 on: February 26, 2021, 10:17:10 pm »

No books are visible. And if there are any here, they're now on fire.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 27, 2021, 12:11:36 am »

Fire.  Like the little fire-lady

I ate her in her mind.  Maybe I should try for a bite in the real world.

Fly to the village, looking for things that are reasonably edible.. food stores that are partly on fire, corpses that are freshly "dead" or in the process of being reanimated.

Then, compete with the fire to consume the same thing it is trying to burn.  Even a small handful of grain or flesh would be suitable.. try to swallow it, flames and all, drawing some small fragment of the fire power into myself, overwhelming it with my darkness.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 02, 2021, 12:03:55 am »

Tuck Fourteen in, I think.  Fuss over her a little, making sure she's comfy, then wait for her to fall asleep.  After that, Shalva will anxiously wonder what to do, and will go outside to collect a clean human skull, which she'll bring back inside the temple.  First, she'll offer some praise to Fourteen's god, through the human skull as a medium, thanking them for saving Shalva and freeing the other undead.  Then she'll offer some praise to Samsaa, through the circle on the ground in the main hall.  Apologizing to Samsaa for being away for so long, and not returning to her... but asking to stay in this world for a little longer, so Shalva can continue to search for her goals.

With both of these actions done, return to Fourteen's room, curl up, and try to sleep.  If sleep doesn't come, simply keep a protective watch over the priestess.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
Revenant
« Reply #112 on: March 02, 2021, 01:29:37 am »

Bird
The crow alights on a path in the town. The packed soil is warm to the touch.
There don't seem to be any flaming zombies wandering around here. It's not clear if they would be hostile or not, so it's best to be safe and stay clear of them.
More importantly, though, there's a meal here. One small human zombie, immobilized by shattered knees. Despite being wreathed in flames, it doesn't seem to be damaged by heat. A strange, tormented sound emits from its gaping mouth, though it's unclear if this is an expression of pain or merely an expression of the terrible heat within.

Since the corpse is immobilized, Moldbin has no difficulty hopping in, tearing away a piece of flesh, and hopping back away. The meat continues to burn even seperated from the zombie, scorching the bird's beak. It would be painful for any living creature, but the corvid sees no reason to be concerned. It's body isn't dry enough to ignite on its own, and any burns can just be healed later.
It turns its head upwards and scarfs down the flesh.

[Determination: 16]
[THE FLAME: 13]
The flame struggles and squirms. There's no oxygen inside of a bird, it should go out. But it doesn't, it's stubborn. But so is a Revenant.

[Manipulation: 10]
Moldbin belches, unleashing a momentary torrent of flame from its mouth. Nothing remains of the flame, though nothing in particular was gained from it, either. The bird feels a little more energetic, maybe, though its insides are now somewhat damaged from the fire. It's a draw, then.

Shalva
The priestess named Fourteen falls asleep quickly. Already exhausted, perhaps. The living need their rest. Shalva wonders if she even can sleep, now. She doesn't feel tired, just... cold.
Shalva watches Fourteen sleep for a few moments, feeling uncomfortable. A little embarassment about watching her sleep, a little discomfort at seeing the human's breathing, concious that she isn't breathing herself. And unease with the Light, which watches over the room as well.

She decides to leave.

Out in the graveyard, a suitable human skull isn't difficult to obtain. Indeed, they're laying around everywhere in the open. She picks out one entirely picked clean of flesh and takes some time to rub away the soil. A perfectly functional totem, which she carries back into the temple's front room.

Holding the skull, Shalva attempts to invoke the god Mar, worshipped by humans. This she focuses on, offering her praise to the spirit.
She gets a splitting headache. She... she doesn't understand... It feels as though she should, but...

Holding her head, palms on the floor kneeling both in pain and worship, she prays to Samsaa. Creator of the world, eater of everything. Feeling slightly delerious, the lamia despairs at being away from her god for so long, yet wishes to stay a little longer, to live!
She feels...
Recognition, anxiety. Desperation, hope. Backed by a deep, unquenchable hunger. A moment later it hits her, a deep knot in her guts. Hunger, hunger, hunger. It's so strong that the cold starts to fade away, replaced by a different longing.

Shalva manages to stagger into Fourteen's room before losing conciousness, curling up over herself on the floor.

Spoiler: Bird, Minor Nuisance (click to show/hide)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 02, 2021, 02:44:17 am »

Well, heal myself up, via mind-over-matter, and try again!  That's two wins, I can beat this flame.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 03, 2021, 03:31:53 pm »

Henric didn't expect to be a father today, but you roll with the punches.

Toss some branches on the black flame. Ask the following:

"What are you?"
One wheel short of a wagon

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
Revenant: Fire, Fryingpans, etc.
« Reply #116 on: March 09, 2021, 09:55:47 pm »

Shalva
Quote from: ...
Hemmed in, cosmos on one side, blaze on the other.
The forest screams out its affection. So bright, it hurts.
The sea, it invites silently, beyond this incapsulation.
You will have to choose, eventually. If you stay here, you'll just get burnt up.
But is that what you want?

Henric
The fire greedily gobbles up the branches that Henric tosses onto it. As it grows larger, it becomes both hotter and darker, casting  the radius around it into pitch dark which the moonlight cannot pierce.
When Henric speaks, it curls up closer to him, listening nonchalantly.
"F-flame. I burn. Feed, I burn. I you, you me. I you, but burn."

Bird
[Manipulation + Mind Over Matter: 12]
The bird waits for a moment for its damaged body to repair itself. A strange feeling, like a bubbling within. It can detect that it used a little bit of its energy on doing that, but there's still enough.
It darts in to grab another chunk of flaming meat.

[Determination: 8]
[The Flame: 13]
This time, Moldbin is less fortunate. The flame quickly spreads, wreathing the revenant's entire undead body in stubborn flame. Despite this, no damage occurs.
Its body is boiling hot, yet nothing burns or melts. Its mind, however, writhes in pain and discomfort. The heat is maddening, like a desert with no water. The fire doesn't even offer the reprive of death.

A voice rings out, loud and clear. And familiar.
"Looks like I was smarter than you, after all. You're my minion now, bird."

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Revenant: Fire, Fryingpans, etc.
« Reply #118 on: March 10, 2021, 12:16:37 am »

Take a skill point on "Stupid Bird", basically +1 resistance to domination.  'No, you squacking rat, don't do that!'

Be Free!  Try to use my instincts to let the fire girl get distracted by my dumb crow brain, while readying myself for an attempt, what might be my last one, at liberation.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Revenant: Fire, Fryingpans, etc.
« Reply #119 on: March 10, 2021, 06:48:51 pm »

Henric has had some experience with black flame. A black flaming moon, to be precise. He saw it in the last few minutes, so it's still quite fresh in his memory.

The association is not a pleasant one. Nonetheless, he gives the flame a chance.

Henric eases the flame onto a stout length of wood, turning it into a kind of torch. He walks towards the nearest village, attempting to converse further with the flame, learning its name, desires, and so on.
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18