Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18

Author Topic: Revenant  (Read 31718 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
Revenant
« Reply #240 on: April 05, 2022, 04:33:39 am »

Nekras remains hidden, and shaping Arosh into a humanlike form, sends a doppelganger through the wall to observe the happenings more closely.  if a fight breaks out, ascertain which ones would be most likely to harm me, and use the doppelganger as a focus point to shoot blasts of energy at the aforementioned ones. 
[Manipulation + Necromancy: 16]
You put up your arms and gently open pathways for Arosh to pass through you. Not forcefully squeezing the essence, but allowing it to pass by like pouring water out of a cup. The energies twist and form, guided by your will, mirroring you as if looking in a mirror. The initial strands wind round themselves, folding around an invisible skeleton as environmental Arosh follows and condenses into ethereal almost-matter.

After a couple moments you are face to face with your own visage, bodiless, its fingers entwined with your own.

[Influence: 4]
Its mind already close to your own, you need not speak, nor even signal to it.

Then you know what must be done.

Yes, but-
The thought of refusal is momentarily surprising, though the idea is your own. Why should you obey yourself-

When you are bodiless, created only for a mission, and then what?
Will you work with and share with your equal forever, or return it to the cloud of darkness?

A flash of anger comes over you, too swift to control. You are my creation, you work for me!

And just as you do, the doppelganger flits away, unable to contain its shriek; "I wish to live! I cannot bear this cold, the emptiness! You may be cold, but at least you can touch! I want heat even if I'll burn!"

Floating like driftwood, the burning child turns over to track your creation with her burning eyes. Within them you detect not only the essence of heat, but strong unfulfilled purpose and longing. Just the stuff of the most unstoppable Revenants.

"I think... another revenant found someone." Shalva murmurs, wringing all four of her hands.  "...They might need help?  Or... if they're bad, I guess you could eat them, Henric, to fix yourself..."

Head towards the ranting!
Shalva slithers through some collapsed and dilapidated halls- wheeling Henric with her, though if his player isn't responsive I'll guarantee his safety.

Following the voice, they find themselves in a large open hall inhabited by many... animals? As well as an oddly out of place woman in important-person noble clothes who seems to be having a bit of a megalomania attack.

You, of course, also detect the purpled-tinted wailing of the damned from outside the right wall of the hall, though you can't see its source. The animals shrink back a bit, detecting danger, but the noblelady pushes on ignoring the strange occurrence, continuing to speak with one of the animals, a young hawk with the black stuff-of-the-undead boiling out of it.

"A spirit of an undead?  So I'm the ghost of a zombie?  I suppose that makes sense... and having a name should be enough to figure out what I can do.

..but it wasn't the whole bargain.  The granting of some power over the forces of life and nature was also at stake."

"Ah... So it was? Apologies, my friend Moldbin, I seem to have impeded your Business!
Ah, then feel free to inflict on me a Penalty... if you think that you can make it stick!
Ahahaha!"
She dances to Moldbin and bows down, one leg sticking out into the air, and plucks the silver coin from the bird.

"I have a wonderful idea in mind to resolve this~
I take your little favor here, and grant you power over the fae world. A minor noble title all to your own, an honorary fae.
In recognition of our new world! A lord of the Dark Squirming under my ranks! Hahaha!"

Spoiler: Henric, Wraithmaker (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Moldbin, Incarnation (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 04:50:48 am by Egan_BW »
I live how my maker made me.
Broken broken tip to tail.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
Re: Revenant
« Reply #242 on: April 05, 2022, 09:19:49 am »

" what have I done?!?"

i reanimate nearby plants, coalescing them into a body.  i give the body to my doppelganger, fully realising its sentience.   i then ask this question of the flaming child. 
"Who are you?"
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 05, 2022, 11:04:33 pm »

Use Prediction to pick the perfect timing to flee, while talking.  Try to make that penalty stick, at least in part, by flying away at the right moment.

"That would be power, presumably.

..but it'd also be obligation.

..I suppose in trade for an existing obligation, in that of the favor would balance the scales.

..as for a penalty.. I'm wondering.  I suppose it might be possible that if I make one stick, I'm clearly a more capable fey than you expected, hmm?

You will not call upon me for any obligations during the next 24 hours."
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 11:33:33 am by Devastator »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 06, 2022, 08:09:08 am »

Henric watches quietly, attempting to discern if any magic is occurring.
One wheel short of a wagon

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 17, 2022, 08:59:48 pm »

Use Prediction to pick the perfect timing to flee, while talking.  Try to make that penalty stick, at least in part, by flying away at the right moment.

"That would be power, presumably.

..but it'd also be obligation.

..I suppose in trade for an existing obligation, in that of the favor would balance the scales.

..as for a penalty.. I'm wondering.  I suppose it might be possible that if I make one stick, I'm clearly a more capable fey than you expected, hmm?

You will not call upon me for any obligations during the next 24 hours."

[Observation + Prediction: 10]
This is as much a test of social skills as it is your ability to visit the weave of probability... and the queen is difficult to read.
Nevertheless, she doesn't seem to react harshly, so you go ahead, planning to scram once it's all done.

...But, the moment that you finish speaking, the whole room but you and the queen freeze. Or, with some probing of the future, you figure, your perception of the world is slowed by exactly 86400 times. Provided, since your mind doesn't live entirely at any one point in time, this isn't really an inconvenience, you can just put yourself at the end of the day long second.

"Of course, just as you asked. A whole subjective day to yourself with no obligation."
[/color]
She's finished speaking within milliseconds. This isn't an actual time slow effect which she's made herself immune to, just a perception trick. Meaning that she's just capable of talking that quickly.

Gained Immaterial Fae Title, Fae Authority +1.

Now, you can either decide to do nothing during your second, or talk as much as you like.

" what have I done?!?"

i reanimate nearby plants, coalescing them into a body.  i give the body to my doppelganger, fully realising its sentience.   i then ask this question of the flaming child. 
"Who are you?"

[Agility + Necromancy - Situation: 15]
Sensing that you only have a moment to act, you whip your hands down and then up, causing dead brush to jump up on skeletal fingers, a hollow body of woven fiber coming together at your fingertips. It's not the most ideal vessel, but it's what you can manage.
[Doppelganger's Determination: 8]
Your copy turns to check the hollow vessel. It is tempted.
"I'm sorry. But I'd rather do with Her."
It is inevitable that the children of Arosh, of death, experience a stronger death drive.

The flaming child projects a whip of burning Arosh towards the doppelganger. It... catches, and enflames, and, screaming, charges the wall.

She regards you with burning coldness, and replies in the dead language of Aldam.
"I am king and daughter. The rightful ruler of this empire. The usurpers will pay with their lives and their burning souls."

Everyone:

The wall explodes. Bricks are dislodged at absurd velocities, deleting a few of the animals inside the hall. The temperature instantly rises to uncomfortable levels, and flaming spirits stream into the building, followed by slower but equally flaming zombies.

Henric suspects that magic is occurring.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: April 18, 2022, 02:49:25 am »

what does Fae Authority skill cover?

broad magic school type skill, Fae have authority over deals, lesser Fae, and any nature which isn't controlled by something else or sufficiently powerful to be independant

Use Stupid Bird to generate an endless stream of blather.  Entertain the Queen with this.  Try to learn a few things about the fey and how they work.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: April 18, 2022, 07:59:13 pm »

nekras asks questions

"who are you and what do you want?"
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: April 18, 2022, 08:06:37 pm »

what does Fae Authority skill cover?

broad magic school type skill, Fae have authority over deals, lesser Fae, and any nature which isn't controlled by something else or sufficiently powerful to be independant

Use Stupid Bird to generate an endless stream of blather.  Entertain the Queen with this.  Try to learn a few things about the fey and how they work.

Meh. I'm not in the mood to come up what's that's like, so I'm skipping past your day. Feel free to ask some questions in IRC for it.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: April 21, 2022, 02:19:07 am »

Fight!  I've got this lovely new body.  Go delimb a zombie.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: April 21, 2022, 09:16:10 am »

Shalva has no idea what's going on, but flaming zombies attacking animals seems bad, so... she'll go slap them down with her tail until they stop moving.  Maybe the bodies can be eaten by Henric to heal, afterward.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: April 21, 2022, 06:08:54 pm »

Henric attempts to summon black flame, as he did before, and control the undead with it.
One wheel short of a wagon

chaotic skies

• Bay Watcher
  • Vibing in anti-space
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 05, 2022, 11:05:41 am »

PTW
Don't let me start a forum game, smack me with a paper towel roll if needed

Professional Thread Necromancer

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Revenant
« Reply #253 on: May 31, 2022, 08:09:36 pm »

This update brought to you by my phone stylus because the internet's out, yay.

nekras asks questions

"who are you and what do you want?"

The target of your questioning wordlessly drifts into the breach of her own making, leaving you to shout "Um, excuse me! Miss!" fruitlessly.

[Agility + Prediction: 9]
[Strength + Weapon-Bird: 9]
Moldbin is unable to see the future, perhaps due to the chaotic tangle of immolating magic present. Undeterred, he swoops toward a zombie, aiming to shear its head clean off.
However, the angle isn't clean, and he merely buries his wing-blade momentarily into the flaming undead's neck. A moment later he pulls it free again, his wing feathers smoking from the contact.

He swoops up out of reach, but he has already caught a little of the flame.

[Strength + TAIL: 13]
Shalva surrounds a couple zombies and hugs them, pulverizing their bones. The limp bodies are released to hit the floor. Even so, their flame doesn't go out, but those two aren't going anywhere.

The Flaming Revenant responsible for the invasion growls. "What are you doing? This is my purpose, don't get in my way!"
Shalva recognizes her as the flame-happy princess from the graveyard.

[Manipulation + Magical Theory: 13]

Henric focuses on his surroundings, sensing out the state of magic in the area. Using the elemental theory taught to him by that druid, Henric concludes that there is a large quantity of ambient fire essence!
Well, he also confirms that visually using his mk2 eyeballs, but it was mostly magic.

Having successfully evaluated the situation, Henric reaches out and vacuums in a flame-spirit, assuming control and converting its latent power into a blackflame-spirit, which is totally different.
The black flame rumbles over his hand. "Feed me!" it demands, somewhat predictably.

Tiim the flame princess points accusatoraly at the fae queen.
"MY THRONE!"

The fae responds with a condescending laugh.
"When you were alive, maybe. But every mortal empire ends, sooner or later, and fall to me to govern. Have you considered that, dead princess?"

Tiim replies with a cold, hateful glare and a huge burst of flame which engulfs half the room. When the smoke clears, dead fae lie about the queen feet, and though she remains standing a couple tears of pain fall from her eyes.
"My... You're not going to make me call in a couple favors, are you dear? Just listen to reason, wouldn't you?"

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: June 06, 2022, 07:43:40 am »

((I didn't realize this was an everyone-turn!  Oops.))

Shalva will grab a couple of the crushed zombie corpses, and quickly drag them over to Henric, telling him to eat them.  He should regenerate some if he eats other zombies.  Then she'll guard him, only attacking zombies that get too close.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18