Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18

Author Topic: Revenant  (Read 31676 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Revenant
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2020, 07:37:37 pm »

"Fos kerión"
Send the motes at the bird.

"Say that after you show yourself capable of magic."

(No offense, but she is 6.)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2020, 08:31:36 pm »

"Caw!" The bird says, taking flight.

Try to dodge the motes of light.  Maybe by going behind the little girl so that they hit her instead.

(I was thinking he'd try to prove his smarts by leading them somewhere, using the geography skill.)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Revenant
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2020, 08:53:57 pm »

Tom

[Manipulation + Druidcraft: 14]
Tom begins to gather the vines' strength into himself, but something feels... wrong. Profane, somehow? The vines, rather than simply offering their strength, weave through him, sticking close like muscle to his bone.
He expects it to hurt, but Tom feels nothing.

[Strength + Situational Bonus (+3): 7]
His now-enhanced fist slams into the lid, resulting in nothing but a knocking sound and ripping some of his vines. How useless.
...Well, now Tom hears someone digging above him, so maybe it wouldn't entirely useless.

The first thing that Tom sees when he emerges from his coffin is a large, worn skeleton. In parts where the bone has worn away he sees something metallic underneath.

Henric

Henric does indeed hear something! Why, it would seem that somebody's trapped under the earth! He grabs a convienient shovel which a zombie happened to be holding and gets digging.
After a few moments of flinging dirt, he uncovers a coffin and the inhabitant pushes open the lid on its own. It looks like a person made entirely out of vines. Or maybe like a skinless man, just instead of muscles it's all plants? This is odd, Henric thinks, because he was expecting some kind of undead creature, not a plant.

Tiim
[Manipulation + Ancient Fire Magic: 14]
Tiim gestures along with her words, bending the power of the world to her whim.
However... what forms are not motes of light, but black wells of darkness.

Oh well, they don't seem to be dangerous, so she casts them towards the bird regardless.
[Influence: 9]
The bird doesn't bother to avoid the spell, letting them pass harmlessly through it. It looks at Tiim smugly.

Bird
[Observation: 16]
The girl summons a few motes of darkness. But the bird just tilts its head, amused at the clear bluff. When she casts them, the motes simply pass harmlessly by.

Everyone
Close by the graveyard, there is a temple, of sorts. It's all built out of wood, and is rather poorly engineered, but it still tries its best to be regal and imposing.
Everybody hears a shout come from that direction, originating from a preistess in pinkish white robes.

"MONSTERS! LEAVE THIS PLACE! LEAVE OR IN THE NAME OF MY LORD OF DESTRUCTION, I SHALL CAST THOU INTO RENDING LIGHT!"
She speaks Aldamian, though to everybody except the bird her accent sounds extremely odd.

Spoiler: Henric, the Henric (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bird, Minor Nuisance (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 04:47:24 am by Egan_BW »
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2020, 10:57:25 pm »

Fly way up high, but not so high I can't swoop back down to help my new friends.

(We could just try to mulch this priest.)
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 03:58:44 am by Devastator »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2020, 05:12:31 am »

When Henric's first opportunity to observe the magical arts for almost five hundred years arises, he is facing in the other direction, shovelling earth, and misses it completely. The irony of this is probably lost on the undead present. It would certainly be lost on Henric. Happily, there is something else to look at: a green man, rising from the coffin.

This is a rather confusing situation for Henric. It is certainly true that ordinary humanoids are far less interesting than snake-people. On the other hand, the snake person is made out of bones, just like half the other people in the cemetery, while the green man is made out of plants - something Henric has never seen before. Which is more interesting, to a student of the arcane?

He stands at a loss as to what to do, until the priest makes up his mind for him.

Henric briskly leaves the graveyard, if possible taking the same route out as the plant man, or failing that the lamia.

((As I understand it, if she casts rending light, we're potentially all dead, so I don't think my character will be doing that.))
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 11:01:12 am by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2020, 05:17:42 am »

((It's not quite that catastrophic, at least not from this random country priestess. Though, it's likely that only Tom knows much about that form of magic. It wasn't widely used until some time after Henric's death.
I'm not quite sure what she thinks she's doing, shouting threats at a bunch of brainless zombies. She doesn't know, either!))

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2020, 06:42:13 am »

[Liablim]{"It may be that whatever necromancy that brought us back is not controlled by anyone. This can easily be tested by binding one of the dead. Hmm. Perhaps that bird over there? It doesn't seem phased by us, so I guess it's also dead. Even if not, it would be afterward."}

{Umm.. alright?  I'm sorry, I don't know any magic, I just mix potions and things...}

Mrush'shalva nervously looks at the ground, coiling her skeletal tail beneath her.  She rubs her shoulders with her hands, instinctively trying to create a little bit of warmth... until the priestess yells at them.  Looking up at the interruption, the lamia raises all four hands in a placating fashion, while trying to shout calming words in a language she doesn't know.

"Wait!  No!  We not--ah, bad ones!  We okay!  No harm, we not hurt anyone!"

Try to calm down the angry priestess lady!

WyrdByrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2020, 10:28:03 am »

The creature before him was fascinating. Though the dusty bones by themselves seemed to be of no particular consequence, the metals bound within was a different matter altogether. Most practitioners of the Metal arts rarely concerned themselves with the matters of Life and Death, instead retreating into the certainty of Fire or the utility of Earth.  Wherever he was, there was magic to be found. Tom drew himself up to cold arms and numb legs, into a chamber of artifacts. A perfectly docile crow, seemingly unphased by the scene before it. A skeleton of a Lamia, fully intact, and animated, at that. Idly, he wondered what had led to his current state. Poison maybe, or  some kind of paralytic spell. Tom wasn't trying to consider the alternatives.

For a moment, he thought he heard a ringing in his ear.
"MON-STARS! LEAF THIS PLACE! LEAF, OR'NTHNAYMEOFMAILORD'ODESTRUCTION, AI SHELL CASTE THOUGHE INTO RENDING LIGHT!"

There was a Martian here. A rather incoherent Martian, at that.  Of course they'd send someone like her. Anything more complex than simple Elementalism got the Pure's wimples in a bundle.  He had to act fast.  An opportunity like this may only come once in a lifetime.
Tom strides closer towards the Priestess, hands raised within clear view. As he walks, he attempts to weave the vines into the symbol of Life, stopping at the crypt's entryway.
"  Matters of Life and Death are under the  purview of the House! Where's your consultant?
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 12:14:56 pm by WyrdByrd »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2020, 11:02:13 am »

An opportunity like this may only come once in a lifetime.

Or maybe even less commonly than that!

WyrdByrd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2020, 11:32:51 am »

An opportunity like this may only come once in a lifetime.

Or maybe even less commonly than that!
Tom wouldn't be caught dead kowtowing to the Martians.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2020, 12:08:14 pm »

[Liablim]{"Might as well listen and go for now."} [Man'kin]No need to get caught up in this when [Ο κανόνας σκλαβώνει τη ζωή του θανάτου] I don't have to. Hmm, why is it black. [Δεν έχει σημασία, θα το μάθω.]

"Sýndesi desmoú"
Reach out with my magic to bind the mindless undead around to me, then leave as suggested.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 12:14:41 pm by TricMagic »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2020, 04:47:47 pm »

((Sorry for the brief gap in updates, guys. Suffice it to say that I simply haven't found a good time to write the next update yet.))

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Revenant
« Reply #42 on: December 16, 2020, 12:03:11 pm »

Shalva and Tom
[Influence: 8] vs [Influence: 8]
Both the Lamia skeleton and the plant-think try to speak up at the same time, standing their ground. Neither of them really manage to get their message accross.

The Priestess freezes in place, as much in surprise as in fear. A valuable set of moments pass while the gears turn in her head.
"You're not-? Well! If you're freindly, then help me! Deal with these zombies!"

They both notice that some of the zombies are shambling towards the preistess, attracted by the sound of her voice. They seem to ignore the two revenants.

Tiim
Tiim has heard of ancient spells used to assume command of the more mindless undead before, but never actually practiced such techniques. Nobody has been able to beat the Fell Lord in a contest of wills, and that's exactly what trying to steal his minions would be.
Though, these undead seem different. They're certainly not as well-organized as they should be, and and Tiim has changed too. She's already noted how her current state of being alters the form of her magic, so, it's worth a shot.

[Manipulation: 13]
This art is less like casting a spell than an instinctual reaching out to the energies surrounding you. Tiim doesn't know the forms which would assist with this action, so she's essentially just winging it. Not efficient, but effective enough for something simple.
And it's... s-so cold...

Several undead minds suddenly light up in her mind. Not like people, more like simple animals. Tiim tries to corral them to her will, but they seem to band together and resist her efforts.
"NOT FOR FREE. SO HUNGRY, AND THIRSTY, AND ACHING AND COLD. HELP AND WE'LL SERVE."

Tiim is too focused on manipulation to pay close attention to her other senses. She's vaguely aware of her surroundings, but finds the act of moving difficult, at least while in the act of negociating with so many minds.
The dozen or so zombies and skeletons which are closest have stopped and are looking at her, but the rest are either milling about or approaching that preistess with a hungry look.

Henric
Henric stares at the plant-man, expecting him to walk out of the graveyard. Instead he starts saying some strange things to the scary lady who owns the place. So does the snakeladyskeleton. Well, it's their funeral! Henric isn't going to stick around to see what being rent by holy light is like, so he silently turns around and starts walking.

He passes quite a few standing corpses on his way, most of whom seem pretty spaced-out and aimless. Poor guys.

He makes it to the edge of the nearby forest. It occurs to him that he doesn't really have any idea where he is, or which direction home is in. Though, it's not like he'll have a lot of trouble surviving out in the wilds. After all, he's already failed at that part, so he can't fail a second time.
He hears the preistess lady say something, but can't quite make it out.

Bird
Hmm. Well, the plant and the snake both try to talk to the pink-robed woman, speaking over each other in accents which are equally strange and antiquated but in different ways. The bird isn't really used to being able to understand speech at all, let alone recognise accents, but that's how it is.
For her part, the lady asks them to help deal with the undead. The zombies do look a bit peckish, and the bird knows there's a bunch of humans around here. Hell, it wouldn't mind stuffing its beak with some squirming, living flesh itself, so it wouldn't be a stretch to think that the other undead could get violent with the living.

Meanwhile, the girl stands rooted in place. The zombies in a neat circle around her also stand stock-still while those outside the radius continue to move freely, so there's something odd going on there.

And the big fella skeleton just wandered off. The bird supposes that it could still follow him now, but if he wander off into the trees he'd be hard to track.

Spoiler: Henric, the Henric (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Bird, Minor Nuisance (click to show/hide)

((Jeez, it's been like six days already. Being cold and sad and not wanting to write sure does suck.))

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2020, 12:12:38 pm »

"Oh!  Yes, right away!  This debacle!"

How many zombies are heading for the priestess?  If it's just two or three, then tackle and restrain the closest one to the priestess by coiling around it, and grabbing any other that's within range.  If there's more, start slapping them down to the ground with the tail--trying not to hurt them too bad!  Just knock them over!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2020, 12:41:42 pm »

Yaay, fighting.  Dead bodies.

..normally I just wait and see who hits the floor, but that might take a while.

..wait a minute, zombies are already dead!  That means I don't have to wait!

I love being smart!

Dive in and support the snake-bone lady by landing on some zombie and ripping at it with my beak.  Go for the brain.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2020, 08:51:03 pm by Devastator »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 18