Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18

Author Topic: Revenant  (Read 31708 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
Revenant
« Reply #180 on: September 26, 2021, 02:04:55 am »

Moldbin can see itself moving. It can see itself moving in every direction. Every possibility.
This overview of every possibility is disorienting, but does serve to illuminate how Moldbin's new locomotion works; it can't go as fast as a flying bird any more, but can move a steady speed in any direction and hover still anywhere. No matter how it moves, however, it cannot rotate. All of the black cylinders remain aligned opposite to the world's gravitational pull.

Groggily, it follows the possibility which takes it upward, directly. Most birds cannot fly directly upwards, but why not, if you can? It's the straightest path out of reach, after all.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Revenant: this is an ex-parrot
« Reply #181 on: September 26, 2021, 02:21:28 am »

Continue on, moving more overland now.

..although I'm not sure what I can posess, something familiar would be good.  I want to be a bird, so try to find one.  Any kind.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 27, 2021, 08:13:23 am »

Henric attempts to struggle to his feet, eventually realising that he no longer has any.

"Ah. I don't know if that worked. I did have to try."

He considers his reduced circumstances, and turns to the lamia.

"Would you mind carrying me for a while? I think we can sell some of these bones. They have a lot of lead, but they don't seem to be part of me any more."

If Shalva is willing to carry him, Henric attempts to sell the sizeable quantity of lead that his lost bones contain to the village blacksmith or someone with spare capital, then buy a low cart or trolley he can pull himself about on.

If Shalva wishes to attempt magic to help him, he lets her.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 04:19:58 pm by NJW2000 »
One wheel short of a wagon

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: September 27, 2021, 03:03:37 pm »

i m still interested. 
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 28, 2021, 01:38:25 am »

"Err... alright?  Are you sure you wish to sell your bones, though?  I might be able to repair them.  My goddess granted me magic... though I am uncertain how to use it."

Help Henric up, and try to find such a trolley for him.  Ask about what it would cost. 

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: September 28, 2021, 04:19:37 pm »

"If you can, please do."
One wheel short of a wagon

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 28, 2021, 04:29:43 pm »

Shalva recalls that her god whispered that Henric could heal if he ate some undead... most likely in order to reconstitute the Arosh forming the structure of his soul. In that case keeping his bones would probably be a good idea. It's unknown if Henric could "grow into" a totally different replacement body.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 28, 2021, 04:45:45 pm »

i m still interested.

Alright, your character would have been born 850 years before the current date, in the year 155. Half dragon, half elf. I'm sure that there's an interesting story behind his parents, hehe. I'm thinking that the year 0 is around the start of the Aldam Empire and they're the ones who made the current calendar. Which would mean that Necras lived in a time when that empire was relatively young, but already quite powerful.
I'm not sure if it opens up too much of a plot hole if elves are actually immortal like Tolkien or something, since I've said that events 800 years in the past are largely forgotten. Perhaps they're mainly only forgotten by humans, though.
Necras could indeed have been a necromancer before 800 years ago, when Aieux became an all-powerful lich. That event stole all of the world's Arosh and put it under the Fell Lord's control, which would make it rather difficult for a normal necromancer to get anything done. This is why that particular profession has died out. In that sense it would make sense why Necras would seek out Aieux and be his minion... that's the only way he could keep doing necromancy.

I don't think that Aieux would have liked to have living people under his command, but perhaps it could have happened in the first 50 years when he was still gaining power. And part of that consolidation of power

Keep in mind that Necras was dead and his soul stagnant for the last 750 years before the Bright Junct came around. You seem to skip all that time between sentences. I think it's unlikely that Necras could have held onto consciousness for all that time and then done anything significant, especially with the Fell Lord in control of all the world's Arosh and undead, including Necras.

What do you think of all this?

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 29, 2021, 08:27:34 pm »

This Better?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(I’m going off the assumption that elves live 700 years like in d&d instead of like in Tolkien.)
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: September 29, 2021, 09:15:19 pm »

900 years dead is too long, if Necras died before 205 he'd have immediately come back as a revenant immediately rather than having to wait for Aieux to die.

Also I dunno what the world was like in 194 BCE please don't make a character born back then hehe

Hardline anti-magic groups would probably have a hard time in a world like this... since magic is just part of the world and also really useful. But perhaps that kind of thing existed 1200 years ago you know was probably pretty different back then.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
Revenant
« Reply #190 on: September 30, 2021, 02:59:10 am »

Moldbin got away safely!

[Observation + P̨r̀e̴d̸ic͝t ̴= 2̶̀͘̕͢0̨҉͜]

The wraith sees, for a moment, a procession of moments extending far into the future. Seemingly endless in variety, while mundane still precision exacting piercing the illusion of simplifications imposed by a soft and imperfect mind. To think in this way would be beyond the ability of a mind, or a soul, but could only be seen as, for but a shard of the universe, becoming time itself. If the winding pathways of possibility cannot fit within the mind, then perhaps the mind can simply fit within time, itself.

Yet perhaps, for all the glory of seeing behind the curtain for a moment that's eternity, the moment would have been too mundane, and the wraith's efforts wasted on picking the best outcome of the dust and disappointment.
But instead, fortune as well was on its side. Moldbin sees one outcome in particular, shiny and gleaming, a thread of silver among the yarn. One possibility which stands apart.
With the line in sight, all that remains is to follow it to its conclusion.

It follows an exacting path into the trees. Slow, yet the ability to hover precisely is useful. Having seen visions of itself in the future, it already knows the terrain. It follow a specific path and comes up behind a large bird perched on a thick branch, hitting it right from its blind spot.

[That's enough describing weird magic shit for today my brain is tired to be continued.]

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Revenant
« Reply #191 on: September 30, 2021, 03:06:51 am »

Possess the bird!

Wings!  Eyes!  Everything I need to protect myself while I figure out what happened!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2021, 03:10:34 am by Devastator »

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 30, 2021, 07:46:08 am »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 01, 2021, 05:58:52 am »

Shalva slowly shakes her head. "I... don't think I should.  I might hurt you more!  I'll try, after I understand this new magic better?  For now, uhm... I think if you eat other undead, that should help?  I'm not sure, I learned so much so fast, it's overwhelming."

Shalva looks at Fourteen, mulling something over in her mind.  Eventually, she speaks up.  "...Fourteen, will we be safe here, for now?  Can we work and trade here, while we figure out what to do?"

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 03, 2021, 07:08:42 am »

I could have written a turn! Instead I drew Moldbin.

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18