Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Has anyone ever hatched animal person eggs?  (Read 2447 times)

PaintDragon

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Dwarf fortress noob still learning how to play
    • View Profile
Has anyone ever hatched animal person eggs?
« on: December 08, 2020, 08:01:35 pm »

Heck, has anyone ever had animal people successfully start a family in their fort in the first place?
I'm just really curious. I'd attempt to set things up myself, but I'm still learning how to do a lot of things.

I guess that the main reason I'm even wondering about this is because of some plans I've had in mind for a while.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 08:03:14 pm by PaintDragon »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Has anyone ever hatched animal person eggs?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 08:30:00 pm »

I'd done it before with animal men modded to have the pet tag

PaintDragon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2020, 02:03:56 pm »

I'd done it before with animal men modded to have the pet tag

Could you elaborate?

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2020, 09:31:00 pm »

I believe the information you're looking for can be found on 2 of the dwarf fortress wiki pages.  Search for "raw file" and also "creature token".  I suspect it's as simple as adding "[PET]" to a text file.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 09:23:28 am »

I believe the information you're looking for can be found on 2 of the dwarf fortress wiki pages.  Search for "raw file" and also "creature token".  I suspect it's as simple as adding "[PET]" to a text file.
Indeed so. I doubt even with pet tag however, that foreign animal men would be able to hatch any eggs for your Fortress

PaintDragon

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2020, 02:43:59 pm »

I had a feeling I'd phrase that wrong.

What I meant to ask was how did the pet tag help them breed?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2020, 05:12:41 pm »

I had a feeling I'd phrase that wrong.

What I meant to ask was how did the pet tag help them breed?
It allowed me to treat animal men as domesticated animals for purposes of checking whether fort nest boxes could be used / hatched. I've no idea how this'll work with humanoid citizens or visitors, so some science could be done here

Jundavr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2020, 04:15:45 pm »

I have hatched kea men and king snake men, and I have also read of experiments of other people who have hatched many animal people to start a fort.

I'll try to make the explanation as simple as possible:

1) When a non gelded male creature is next to a female creature, the female will get pregnant.
2) In the case of [INTELLIGENT] beings, they also need to be married for the impregnation to happen. They are not mindless animals that breed with anyone.
3) Normally, pregnant creatures will go about their lives as normal until *POP* a baby comes out. If it's an [INTELLIGENT] being, it'll pick up the baby, carry it around and automatically feed it.
4) Pregnant egg layers will find a nestbox and lay eggs. The eggs, if fertile, have a timer that steadily decreases while the mother sits on them, and when it reaches 0 the babies will hatch. As is known from the elk bird, animal mothers don't leave the nestbox to eat and may starve to death (other egg laying animals don't even need to eat). However, this is no concern for an [INTELLIGENT] creature: the mother will leave to eat, drink and sleep, with no issues to the development of the eggs.

That's the basics. Now off to the real topic: acquiring animal people citizens

1) the mod way: capture some savages wild animal folk and save the game. Find their raws (in that specific world, not the game's files) and add the tag [PET_EXOTIC]. Now you can train them and keep them around until they petition for citizenship. After they've all petitioned, just remove the [PET_EXOTIC] tag and you can control them like any other regular dwarf. Protip: train them once with a specific trainer and let them go wild, nothing bad will happen and they'll stick around; after they go wild remove the training assignment. You can't do this while they're trained because their names will disappear from the animal list, due to them being [INTELLIGENT]. DON'T LET GREMLINS GO WILD, THOUGH. They'll try to sneak around and pull levers, but most likely will just be immediately spotted and run away, never to be seen again.

2) the 'Armok wants it' way: start a fort, retire, generate a bunch of adventurers of the desired species from the SAME CIV AND SAME SITE, and retire them there. Then you'll have to get them married:
       method a) Use DFhack to actually give them a sexual preference other than indeterminate (not just the unit, the histfig also), and set up their marriage (read the wiki on marriage, it's a bit of work but quite fun and rewarding when it works).
       method b) Use the gui/family-affairs script to outright marry them and skip the work.

3) the manifest destiny way: no cages or anything needed, just use this script and they're yours.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
You'll still have to make whatever you caught marry though, and for some reason the script works oddly with Dwarf Therapist.
I was out in the rain. So exasperating!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2020, 06:19:25 pm »

Fascinating stuff.