Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sparring and Dancing and Managing Troublesome Guests  (Read 936 times)

Liquidpip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Sparring and Dancing and Managing Troublesome Guests
« on: December 10, 2020, 08:37:31 pm »

So recently my tavern has invited quite a lot of troublesome guests. Not the "corrupt your dwarfs" or even "steal your artifact splint" thing but genuine people who stopped by for a drink but happened to have a werebeast curse. Sometimes they stay singing and talking for the duration of their transformation but sometimes they actually went berserk and started killing the human diplomat, so I need to handle that eh? Luckily I already have a squad of axelords and I thought it'd be more convenient if they stay in the tavern almost 24/7 by putting an armor stand there and make it a barrack for their training. It worked, and the latest human-turned-werepig was taken care of without a scratch. The elf bard that was singing didn't even blink.

And now I haven't paid attention to keeping those dwarves happy by giving them vacations etc. and they've basically been training since they got recruited seven years ago. I was surprised to find in their thoughts and preferences that they've recently been watching performances and even talking with others. In the middle of their sparring sessions. Some guests even snug themselves in between the sparring dwarves and started socializing (although that might have been a coincidence.)

Is this an actual thing or is this a bug? Either way, my axelords are reasonably happy now so that's nice.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
Re: Sparring and Dancing and Managing Troublesome Guests
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 09:21:51 pm »

Nothing about that sounds like buggy behavior to me.  Good idea with making the tavern share space with the barracks - seems like the simplest way to keep order amongst the visitors.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 05:24:52 am »

Until it all results in a loyalty cascade when some guest happens to join the were due to loyalty (or whatever), and that guest has chatted up some militia member...
Or, better still, the necro visitor getting agitated and raising the were, with half the people present then joining on the necro side.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 06:57:28 am »

Good points.  Probably best to also have doors on the tavern in case you have to lock it up.  And a magma inlet, also just in case.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 09:27:31 am »

Sounds like all of your social guests are schmoozing with the local peacekeepers. Absolutely adorable

Liquidpip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 01:27:24 am »

Until it all results in a loyalty cascade when some guest happens to join the were due to loyalty (or whatever), and that guest has chatted up some militia member...
Or, better still, the necro visitor getting agitated and raising the were, with half the people present then joining on the necro side.

After a few more "controlled" accidents, I found that soldiers attacking werebeast guests don't cause loyalty cascades. Wereguests seem to stay neutral and friendly toward citizens and other guests until they were spotted by an active military dwarf (or maybe any active soldier belonging to your fort?), at which moment their brains finally realized "oh wait a minute I'm supposed to kill everyone" and does so. Visiting warriors and monster hunters do not trigger it, but bodyguards (diplomats, merchants, etc.) seem to. De-transformed guests that had gone hostile will remain in the other faction as well, as I saw when the (new) human diplomat transformed into a werebeast and killed a dancer while his bodyguards were watching behind fortifications. The diplomat was later killed by his own bodyguards, but the bodyguards remain friendly toward everyone else, including active military units. The human civilization that he's from also does not count this as an act of war, apparently?

Socializing guests that transformed while talking to an active/training soldier does not trigger a loyalty cascade, probably because the soldier's activity never officially turns to "socializing." No proof has been observed on whether they remain socializing while in combat. Further research required.

non-intelligent undead stuffs remain in their own "me zombie blergh" faction and does not trigger cascades. Necromancers are weak and pathetic and were instantly bludgeoned/bitten/gored to death almost all the time. Further research required.

It should also be noted that, in the case of wanting to kill "friendly" wereguests, that their faction switches and will turn hostile the moment a "kill" command was delivered, regardless of line of sight. Something I probably should've expected.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2020, 03:30:07 am »

My problem was that killing the were before it turned caused the necro to raise the ogre corpse being hauled to the corpse stockpile (for disposal), not killing the were before it turned cause the were to slaughter those present with only the necro and its ogre zombie standing. Attacking the necro first led to a loyalty cascade.
After many attempts (the save was very shortly before the were turned, so time was tight), I did manage to get rid of both the necro and the were.

badiro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2020, 05:25:05 am »

haha tricky werebeast

Entranceguard:"what is wrong with you, you have more bodyhair then my nana"

ahhhh nothing, just here for a drink
Camela Labaamu has become a Elf

"Yes Urist we said you can become whatever you want...but"