Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Beating the circus gone fun  (Read 1242 times)

slave of amok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Beating the circus gone fun
« on: December 11, 2020, 02:05:50 pm »

so, a while ago i made a post about my dwarf fortress hard mode world, in short; if it was fun, id put it on max (temperature and titans exc). i carved out a nice little place in a vulcano again since then, it had 5 nightbeast lairs and lions. now you would think a vulcanic island would be save from necromancer sieges right? well appearently necromancers thought of that: gaint osprey corpses, killcount is on 300. and yes im aware i still havent shared saves and screenshots, but that requires me to make accounts and i decided to take a dwarven noble approach to it. SO, with all of that said let me get to the point: the circus. ive not seen a lot of threats telling you of ways people beat it so i decided to tell mine here: when i found the candy i made a long stone hall leading out from the side i wanted to dig in, in the end i added a fortification with a ballista a decent distance away from it aswell as an airlock. for those who arent very dwarfy the premise is: you fire the ballista, the arrow of which is as big as the tunnel, and youll be able to compress all the clown matter comming through between the arrow and the walls. keep the ballista at a distance though and blockade the airlock once you start mining, clowns can just s.w.a.t through it. but yea i did that and it worked! and then the fun began. appearently magma pits are highways through clowntown, so they dont have to travel through candy canes in order to start a perfomance. it took about 50 dorfs, a weaponized zoo and half a mountain side of iron to push back the clown town colonization efford and though there are still lurkers here and there, the honk presser 5000 is back online.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Beating the circus gone fun
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 09:29:49 am »

Imgur is a good site for uploading screencaps without needing to make an account. Otherwise I've got to say the honk presser 5000 is a bloody inspired name for an equally bloody mechanism

slave of amok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2020, 03:05:13 pm »

Imgur is a good site for uploading screencaps without needing to make an account. Otherwise I've got to say the honk presser 5000 is a bloody inspired name for an equally bloody mechanism
thx dude :D though it seems ill need a new model becouse its  taking ages. i could probebly continue thinning them out but im not sure if its worth it. if i dont get a good shot soon im going to release my weaponised animal pen of gaint toads, gaint cats, dogs and cave crocodiles and see who would win: the circus or the zoo.  :D

Edit: i figured out how imgur works so here ya go https://i.imgur.com/NWnVQmQ.png its a pretty smoll lil hall but it works. though it realy punishes you for going afk, ive reloaded a couple of times becouse i didnt wanna miss out on all the fun. heres some other pics that gave my dorfs the happiness twitch  ;) https://imgur.com/a/rRR6sbs
« Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 03:23:38 pm by slave of amok »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2020, 03:16:15 pm »

I don't think the zoo stands much of a chance - circus clowns are big, mean honking machines. But then again, you can always breed more toads

slave of amok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2020, 03:26:23 pm »

I don't think the zoo stands much of a chance - circus clowns are big, mean honking machines. But then again, you can always breed more toads
wow that was a quick reply  :o but i gues i can tenderise them a bit more with my ballistas, it would be a shame to have this fortress go to ruin in one fast HONK

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2020, 04:55:43 pm »

remind yourself that overconfidence is a slow and insidious HONKING