Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: High population, no petitions for temples/priests  (Read 2002 times)

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
High population, no petitions for temples/priests
« on: December 12, 2020, 11:21:20 am »

I am running a young world (stopped worldgen at year 5) and a generation fort.  All the dwarves in my fortress except the starting 7 were born into the fortress.  The current population is 180+ and I have only 4 gods in my civ, yet I've never gotten a petition for a temple and cannot assign priests.  I definitely have more than 10 worshipers of each religion, yet no petitions.  Guildhalls worked; I got petitions reliably when I got 10 workers in each category.

Is this a known bug?  Does the game not count new worshipers when they are born into the fortress for petition purposes?  I tried searching the bug tracker but didn't see anything related to this.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: High population, no petitions for temples/priests
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2020, 02:41:59 pm »

Haven't heard of any such bug. Note, though, that each god may have several religions dedicated to it, and the "real" temples are tied to religions, not the gods themselves.
Also, I'm not sure how the worshiper accounting works, but I wouldn't be surprised if the religion membership only counted those above a certain level of fervor.

You can check the number of members of religions by making a meeting zone that's then specified to be a temple zone and then you'd get a list of all available deities and religions with their number of members shown as you step through it. You can back out and remove the zone after having used if for checking, so you're not committing to anything by going as far as looking at what to tie a temple zone to: commitment comes when selecting something.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2020, 03:19:53 pm »

I think the dorfs need to be serious about their worship to demand a priest, I've often not had any temple petitions, and once, in a 60 dorf fort, they petitioned me for a death deity priesthood and worried the heck out of me. It's a coincidence, no doubt, but I've mostly been asked for temples on my second or third fort in a world, after raising several ten year forts in a row (I always feel guilty making a new map, I try to reuse them as much as I can).

Do you have a universal temple zone for them to worship in, and possibly get a bit more... um, faithful... to their chosen deity?

You can back out and remove the zone after having used if for checking, so you're not committing to anything by going as far as looking at what to tie a temple zone to: commitment comes when selecting something.

I've heard there's a few bugs associated with zone removal, and have avoided making and removing zones for fear of meeting said bugs, but yes, if you don't actually commit, and they don't name the zone, nothing has been manufactured, and should be fine.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 04:38:28 pm »

You can check the number of members of religions by making a meeting zone that's then specified to be a temple zone and then you'd get a list of all available deities and religions with their number of members shown as you step through it.

Zekrim has 50 worshipers in the fortress.  No petition, no temple.

Razot has 56 worshipers.  No petition, no temple.

The Violet Color has 78 worshipers.  I gave them a temple because my baroness worships this deity, and I also ended up with a sweet artifact statue of the deity to stick in the temple.  No ability to assign priests in the temple.  There's no occupation option except performer.

Shulmik has two worshipers, so I guess that one's fine.

I have no way to check how many are zealous (or do I?) but most of my dwarves are a "dubious worshiper of the Violet Color and a faithful worshiper of the Violet Color" or whoever, with the "two" deities always identical.

Do you have a universal temple zone for them to worship in, and possibly get a bit more... um, faithful... to their chosen deity?

I do have a general, all-deities temple.  It sees a ton of use.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 05:28:24 pm »

You can check the number of members of religions by making a meeting zone that's then specified to be a temple zone and then you'd get a list of all available deities and religions with their number of members shown as you step through it.

Zekrim has 50 worshipers in the fortress.  No petition, no temple.

Razot has 56 worshipers.  No petition, no temple.

The Violet Color has 78 worshipers.  I gave them a temple because my baroness worships this deity, and I also ended up with a sweet artifact statue of the deity to stick in the temple.  No ability to assign priests in the temple.  There's no occupation option except performer.

Shulmik has two worshipers, so I guess that one's fine.

I have no way to check how many are zealous (or do I?) but most of my dwarves are a "dubious worshiper of the Violet Color and a faithful worshiper of the Violet Color" or whoever, with the "two" deities always identical.

I do have a general, all-deities temple.  It sees a ton of use.
They all seem like Gods, not religions. How many members of actual religions do you have? A God is not a religion.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2020, 05:31:48 pm »

They all seem like Gods, not religions. How many members of actual religions do you have? A God is not a religion.

Is there a way to check?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2020, 04:57:30 am »

Is there a way to check?
Yes. See my previous post concerning how to check how many members each religion has...

The only way I know of how to check how serious worshipers are is to check them one at a time (with "dubious" obviously not being very serious).

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2020, 10:40:01 am »

In that list, the religions will be listed with yellow text and the deities with cyan text. The religions will also have a cyan "Worship ..." line, under the number of worshipers, that states which deity that religion worships. So, if there are no yellow lines, there are no religions.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Daris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2020, 08:47:39 pm »

I see.  I have no yellow-text anything in the list, just cyan text.  So I guess I have no religions in my fortress, despite having so many worshipers.

This seems like an oversight, but not a bug per se.  Thank you everyone.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2020, 09:06:52 pm »

It's probably because the world is so young. Religions are started by historical figures over time rather than being generated at the very begining of the world.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2020, 07:52:01 am »

Oh, year 5 world? Yeah, not much chance of any religions spreading around at that age.