Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves self defense class.  (Read 851 times)

Pyrite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves self defense class.
« on: December 13, 2020, 04:48:26 am »

Something I've taken to doing recently is using my captain of the guard squadron as a way to give most of my dwsrves at least a tiny bit of military training, to increase their odds when attacked, give them some discipline skill to make them more resilient, and to meet their need for military training. As a side effect, I'm hoping it will also help more dwarves develop friendships in the fortress.

Basically what I've done is created a small, 2x2 training room, assigned it to the guard squad, and filled that squad with random dwarves who have gotten to 'distracted' by the lack of martial training, focusing on the unhappiest of those. Then I assign them wooden shields, basic armor, and training weapons, set the training schedule for minimum 4, and periodically check in on whose in the barracks and whether their martial training need has been satisfied, in which case I boot them out of the squad to slot in the next dwarf.

So far it's been pretty effective at boosting overall morale and keeping stress under control. And if I ever got desperate for more military dwarves, I've gotten a head start on training a lot of potential recruits.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Dwarves self defense class.
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2020, 07:26:40 am »

I did something similar, but my life was changed when I found out you could issue multiple training orders for one squad. I imagine it's like subdividing the squad into platoons, with the grizzled captain introducing all the rookies to the ways of Dwarven martial arts