Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Plump helmets  (Read 1546 times)

gurthang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Plump helmets
« on: December 14, 2020, 01:28:35 am »

Hi there,

I am a beginner player. Each game, after the first wave of migrants stes in, my plump helmet plot starts withering and goes empty after a while  >:(

Does it happen because they eat the shrooms faster then my brewer can extract seeds, because I don't have bags to store the seeds, or else? Is there any possibility to prevent the dwarves from eating the helmets? I know it's possible to forbid them to cook the shrooms, but the problem happens even if I don't even set up a kitchen!

Suggestions appreciated  :)

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
Re: Plump helmets
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 01:44:58 am »

First guess would be that you don't have a food stockpile in your fort, it's somehow blocked, or it's full. Either way, this means that your dwarves won't harvest your plump helmets and they'll wither, since they have nowhere to put them and they'll just leave them there. It's under "p" for stockpile, then "f" for food. Then you just designate like normal.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 03:41:40 am »

Yes, as mentioned, it's caused by a lack of food stockpile space. If there isn't any space dorfs will harvest the plants but then drop them on the farm plots.

A food stockpile has the magic property of preventing food from going bad, so food should always be kept in food stockpiles (Booze won't go bad, but eventually it will clutter the brewery, resulting in a slowdown of brewing).

There is no way to stop dorfs from eating raw produce except preventing them from using it for anything at all. If a favored raw item or cooked food with such an ingredient is available a dorf will eat that, otherwise they'll grab whatever edible item that's "closest" (as the dorf digs) from the point at which the dorf decided it was time to eat. You can reduce the raw produce nibbling somewhat by having the stockpile for it surrounded by stockpiles for food that you want them to eat instead, but such stockpile enclosure would have to be done in 3 dimensions. On the other hand, raw produce nibbling is rarely an actual problem.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 04:31:01 am »

From the main menu, you should also check your 'o' 'f' setting. If it says that dwarfs ignore food, then you accidentally toggled the setting at some point.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 03:53:17 pm »

Did you not set plump helmets to grow in each season (using a,b,c,d on the farm plot)? IIRC, crops wither if the season changes into one they're not set to be planted.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 05:38:08 pm »

Withering sounds like not setting the seasons correctly in the planting field, or not having a food stockpile large enough to contain them. It doesn't mean overeating, which would cause there to be no plump helmets there, not too many withered ones.

Check you have some harvesting dorfs as well as farming dorfs, make more stockpiles for food, and make barrels (or large rock pots or green glass pots if you prefer) for the food to be stored in. Check that you have set the farm plots to grow plump helmets in seasons a, b, c AND d.

Last of all, if you're worried you don't have enough seeds (this would not cause the withering, just affect replanting) make sure you have set the plump helmets not to be cooked in the food menu in the {z} menu. Cooking food destroys the seeds. If they're eating the plump helmets raw, or brewing them into drinks, then they will keep the seeds.

I recommend banning all seeds from the actual food stockpile, and making a totally seperate seed-only food stockpile which doesn't allow barrels or pots. This means that they don't hit you with a lot of cancellation spam every time someone puts a seed in a pot.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2020, 06:06:17 pm »

I haven't seen any issues with plants not ripening until the next season, where they're not set to be planted. All my surface plants are planted in spring only, and are harvested a bit into summer. Underground plots are planted in the earliest season supported, and, again, I haven't had any issues.

I've heard that there have been problems with plants planted in winter and ripening in spring where they were not set to be planted, but that was an old bug that may have been fixed.

Bauta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2020, 04:52:43 am »

Hi there,

I am a beginner player. Each game, after the first wave of migrants stes in, my plump helmet plot starts withering and goes empty after a while  >:(

Does it happen because they eat the shrooms faster then my brewer can extract seeds, because I don't have bags to store the seeds, or else? Is there any possibility to prevent the dwarves from eating the helmets? I know it's possible to forbid them to cook the shrooms, but the problem happens even if I don't even set up a kitchen!

Suggestions appreciated  :)

3 Things come to mind :
1. Do you have enough dwarves doing the "Farmer job"
2. Do you have enough stockpiles and autoharvesting
3. Have you disabled the seeds in the kitchen tab ?

A workaround would be to dig down into the first cavern after that point every underground soil becomes a mushroom bearing soil
_________
>Blacki loses his right arm, Blacki loses his left arm
>Blacki: I am badly injured, this phases me not
>Blacki bites the Goblin lasher in the throat and the injured part is cloven asunder

gurthang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2020, 03:32:11 pm »

Hi guys,

I checked your suggestions. I finally realized it was a storage problem. My fortresses suffered from a penury of pots and barrels. Now I am freed from the necessity to sustain a large fishing industry  :D

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2020, 02:28:46 am »

as the dorf digs

Shouldn't that be “as the Ń flies”?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2020, 04:52:50 pm »

A terrible omen, the undead crow. As the mole digs is much comfier

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2020, 04:30:06 pm »

A terrible omen, the undead crow. As the mole digs is much comfier

I assume he mean ghost, since nothing else can move diagonally up through solid rock. (If ghosts can even do that.) Edit: Actually, maybe you can do it with ramps.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?