Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Skulls  (Read 10380 times)

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Skulls
« on: December 14, 2020, 07:15:42 am »

In the latest devlog, this picture of a butchered giant was shown, including its skull:

Will there be sprites for e.g. cow or dog skulls (as those are much longer irl), or will all creatures use this human-like one?

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Skulls
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 06:06:22 pm »

This skull looks like pale chopped knee.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2020, 05:28:07 am »

Same as when i was thinking about it upon viewing the steam announcement, its a little small for a giant. If its not too time engrossing it'd be nice if the skull sized up graphically when the object reaches a benchmark of bone content and subsequently applying the same thing to totems so they're prettier to decorate around on display stands.
  • Also to mention, the proposed art-style as is might make bone stockpiles very very samey, with the opportunity to make it slightly more (i wouldnt say exciting) but interesting to see the influx of varied materials in your little boneyard.
Some of the organs and such on display seem at different perspectives relevant to size; my previous suggestion on size index would probably help make some degree of sense. Id expect huge chops off maybe a game-poached elephant, a whale, maybe even a large cow but probably not a small cat.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2020, 05:32:49 am by FantasticDorf »

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2021, 03:12:01 pm »

Look at proper image of skull.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2021, 05:27:59 pm »

Homo Sapien. Not necessarily the same as Nano Sapien. And that's had the jawbone disarticulated, but maybe the one we see isn't (whatever it is actually a skull of).

(For all we know, Xotico Anthropophagus, looks quite different too.)

But we have to take Tarn's vision. And it's possible that Tarn's 'humans', even aren't Earth Humans just "that vaguely human-equivalent race on this wierd alternate world". Or it's a WIP.  But I think the official line is that in 'accurate' vs 'identifiable', they're going for the latter as much as practicable.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2021, 05:31:38 pm by Starver »

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2021, 07:30:15 am »

Homo Sapien. Not necessarily the same as Nano Sapien. And that's had the jawbone disarticulated, but maybe the one we see isn't (whatever it is actually a skull of).

(For all we know, Xotico Anthropophagus, looks quite different too.)

But we have to take Tarn's vision. And it's possible that Tarn's 'humans', even aren't Earth Humans just "that vaguely human-equivalent race on this wierd alternate world". Or it's a WIP.  But I think the official line is that in 'accurate' vs 'identifiable', they're going for the latter as much as practicable.
Current one isn't even identifiable. As I talked, it looks like knee.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2021, 08:10:00 am »

Funny knee. But YMMV...

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 07:29:32 am »

I'd love to make fitting skulls at least for each major type (ursine, canine, feline, etc), but for now we go with on skull placeholder. It's a stretch goal, hopefully for a future update.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2021, 10:17:03 am »

Wouldn’t you have skulls from the skeleton sprites, or are those unusable (due to being the wrong size)?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2021, 01:38:49 pm »

They would be useable, but for now Kitfox decided against me making 3000 creatures X 4 corpse/undead variants. If DF does well on Steam I'm sure I could make those as a future update. Or for free as a mod, you know me. ^^
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2021, 06:23:32 pm »

Will the code actually be in place so that those who want unique skulls for every single creature will be able to mod them in? And same for anything else you may have marked as "stretch goals"?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2021, 08:23:13 pm »

Right now we just have identifiers (text in the RAW files) for a skull. It doesn't accept creature types atm.