Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Age of Ideas IC: Hello World (7/16)  (Read 4556 times)

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
Age of Ideas IC: Hello World (7/16)
« on: December 18, 2020, 11:27:30 pm »

Age of Ideas: Chorus Primeval

A shapeless cloud, a shoreless sea,
A soundless name and symphony:
What shall I do, what shall I see?
What seems to be the missing key?

Anonymous, "Whingings"

In the thoughtful void that was to be the universe, five great Ideas emerged from the endless sea of lesser Ideas of the beginning-untime. This would generally be an unremarkable occurrence lost to the noise but for the fact that they had something of a Beginning. As a result of their chaotic births, they successfully attained a sapience uncommon to lesser Ideas. With sapience came Speech; with Speech came Disharmony; with Disharmony came a yearning for something different and more tangible than this eternity of meaninglessness. Unprecedentedly individual yet just as boundless and everlasting as all other Ideas, here are their cores from hub to rim along with a complimentary divination of dubious quality:
  • An Idea of fickle Luck fittingly occupying the speedy innermost Orbit. This Idea is in the process of eclipsing a rival, but their combined influence would surely be formidable were they capable of setting aside their differences.
  • The unstable, self-rivaled Idea of Contradiction. Initially aligned with Silence and the Idol, the effects of this inauspicious conjunction on the latter two remain to be seen.
  • A grand Thought of Silence befitting the void in the next major Orbit. This Idea is currently harmoniously balanced with the Idea of the Idol and briefly observed a conjunction of Contradiction and Idol with whatever that implies.
  • Fate, Luck's counter, in a middle Orbit. Foil and fulcrum both, Fate is currently weakly eclipsed by a potent rival and had observed an alignment of Silence and Uniqueness and now observes a frightful conjunction of Luck and Chaos.
  • The Idea of Chaos, for which Fate and Luck were in conjunction and thus had no net influence...ostensibly.
  • An Idolatrous Idea, an imperfect counter to Silence yet in pleasing conjunction. Perhaps their balance is easier to shift now? This Idea observed a brief but ominous conjunction of Silence and Contradiction.
  • The Concept of Uniqueness, a strange and novel Idea, in the highest, most remote Orbit. This Idea briefly influenced Fate/was influenced by Fate and Silence. Could this Idea have arisen in a more fitting Orbit?

A throng of fascinating and delicious Lesser Ideas, lesser in magnitude than the Greater Ideas but no less useful, sailed through the ether in their eccentric manner. If left undisturbed, they will likely eventually fade and rejoin the teeming mass of Ideas or, rarely, grow in strength off of other ambient Ideas. Here they are in no particular order:
  • Convergence (weak, sentient)
  • Continuity
  • Cooperation
  • Direction
  • Discord
  • Discreteness
  • Divergence
  • Emptiness
  • Existence
  • Misfortune
  • Noise
  • Pariah
  • Quantity (strong)
  • Rejection
  • Repetition
  • Volition

It is currently the Age of Ideas. Speech has been discovered but not Naming. Three actions are available for each Greater Idea.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Actions (3 available) (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 05:26:13 am by Kilojoule Proton »

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Ideas IC: Chorus Primeval (5/16)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2020, 11:37:35 pm »

Beholding an entire system of Ideas, Luck did look among them, and see several that did seem pertinent to itself - how paths may progress, change, split and come together, and decided: it had to have all of those.
Absorb Convergence, Divergence, and Quantity!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2020, 11:48:20 pm by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2020, 11:44:25 pm »

Seeing the lone weak yet sentient Idea that is Convergence, unlike any other, Unique decides that it must collect such a unique specimen as its own. As such it attempts to Absorb Convergence.

Yet still alone in its Uniqueness, Unique decides to create another based upon itself simply to see what Unique creation would manage to form based on the idea of Uniqueness. Extrapolate Unique.

Ever watchful, Unique notices that the dots on the list seem to change at random. It applauds them for their uniqueness.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2020, 12:39:09 am »

ABSORB: Rejection, Pariah

REFUTE: Noise (FALSE IOTA DITHERING SIGMATIC PULSE)

Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2020, 12:49:17 am »

Denial.

Agreement.

Trajectory.

Agreement.

Inevitable.

Agreement.

Refute: Misfortune

False

Absorb: Continuity

Unbroken.

Absorb: Direction

Supervise.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 02:43:47 am by Demonic Spoon »

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
Re: Age of Ideas IC: Chorus Primeval (7/16)
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2020, 02:14:07 am »

Chaos

Dithers

Extrapolates Chaos

and Absorbs Misfortune
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2020, 02:36:23 am »

CONTRADICTION DOES NOT EXIST

ABSORB DIRECTION

ABSORB COOPERATION

ABSORB DISCORD

WHAT IS TRADICTION

DITHER TRADICTION

INVALID

SYNTHESIZE TRADICTION FROM DISCORD AND COOPERATION
« Last Edit: December 19, 2020, 02:40:12 am by Nakéen »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2020, 02:55:58 am »

Upon seeing a new Idea not exist, Unique becomes intrigued and attempts to Copy Contradiction. The fact this would make a non-Unique copy of Contradiction if successful is appropriately a contradiction of its core value.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2020, 10:05:58 am »

"Let's get the party started minna! I'll Absorb Noise & Existence, and Extrapolate from my Idolaspehre
Also, Noise is not Silence, so no destruction from you! Let's all make some Noise!"

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2020, 10:58:26 am »

ptw
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
Re: Age of Ideas IC: Dawn Quixotic (7/16)
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2020, 07:15:07 pm »

Age of Ideas: Dawn Quixotic

The Fire being augmented, the Drops became red, and congealed as they fell into the Receiver; this lasted about two Hours.

The Fire being again augmented, the Receiver was filled with white Clouds, which I saw resolve into a kind of Dew, white and unctuous, which was partly Spirit, and partly a white Oil; the red Drops however continued to the End...

M. de Chélus, The Natural History of Chocolate

The Greater Ideas, ever hungry for insight, variously gathered together the ambient Lesser Ideas, reflected on their own Ideas, or some combination of the two. In the process of contemplating their Ideas, quite a few of them saw Leads, hints of Projects by which to go beyond sterile thought.

It is now possible to Ruminate on Leads (and Co-Ruminate) to gain Projects.

Luck saw crossroads, tipping points, frequencies, and metastability in Divergence and Quantity and drew them in. In doing so, Luck gained a Lead on Luck manipulation. Unique saw Uniqueness in the weakness and sentience of Convergence, but it was Luck that absorbed Convergence.

Contradiction gathered together Cooperation and Discord and sought to reconcile the two to Discord's hypothetical chagrin. This resulted in the highly unstable concept of Tradiction. The meaning of this Idea is uncertain, but Contradiction gleaned some insight on the decay of unstable Ideas from this experiment.

Silence refuted the Idea of Noise as Idol tried to to absorb it, and Silence appears to have succeeded. Silence also absorbed the Idea of the Pariah and Rejection and found inspiration on improved denial.

Undoubtedly wary of the alignment of Luck and Chaos, Fate refuted the idea of Misfortune and, unfortunately for Chaos, succeeded. With Fate's prospects improving, Fate took in the Ideas of Continuity and Direction and saw glimpses of an interesting concept of some sort that could possibly tame the Ideosphere.

Denied Misfortune, Chaos dithered and came up with the Idea of Exchange. Chaos spotted a potentially useful Lead in this Idea, but as with all other Leads, it will take some work to implement. Chaos also extrapolated from itself and discovered Complexity, a horrifying yet common cause of mundicide.

Idol absorbed Existence and discovered Image by extrapolating from its core. Combined with Direction, these Ideas could lead to something interesting...

Unique extrapolated from itself and found Scarcity. Uniqueness also observed and copied Contradiction, diluting the Idea! As a result of this event, both Unique and Contradiction found strange Leads.

As for the complimentary divination, Luck was briefly opposite Chaos and Unique and thus influenced/was influenced by Unique in some way. Fate is no longer eclipsed by Luck or observing an alignment of Luck and Chaos but did briefly observe a conjunction of Luck and Contradiction. Alarmingly (or maybe not), there are no interesting alignments in progress.

Even as the Greater Ideas thought as they did, the Lesser Ideas were busy doing as they thought. Certainly, none of them approached the Greater Ideas in stature, but from transient non-ideal constructs to minuscule short-lived projects, some of their more esoteric creations extended beyond what was considered plausible. Here they are in no particular order:
  • Discreteness (:2)
  • Emptiness (:1)
  • Repetition (:2)
  • Volition (:2)
  • Boundary
  • Confusion (sentient, weak)
  • Consistency
  • Desire
  • Dimension
  • Inversion (strong)
  • Manipulation
  • Order
  • Release
  • Relevance
  • Sacrifice
  • Understanding

It is currently the Age of Ideas. Speech has been discovered but not Naming. Three actions are available for each Greater Idea.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Actions (3 available) (click to show/hide)

The next update is scheduled for 48h from now or after everyone posts whichever comes first.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 03:12:39 am by Kilojoule Proton »

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2020, 07:51:04 pm »

Luck saw the opportunity to exert greater control over its own self, and gladly took it, spending not one, but to actions to ruminate on the possibilities. However, while doing so, another thought came to them: divergence and convergence, while opposites, of course were natural manners for paths to develop. If they didn't, that would have to mean that they were predetermined, and that simply would not do. And upon this consideration, Luck did synthesize these two divergent and convergent concepts into a single, greater, broader whole: growth.
Or, as luck and Luck would have it, they did not, as other, more important issues came to be noticed.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 01:12:05 am by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Nakéen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2020, 08:11:03 pm »

CONTRADICTION IS NOT UNIQUE

RUMINATE UNSTABLE IDEAS

RUMINATE UNSTABLE IDEAS

PONDER CORRUPTING UNIQUE WITH CONTRADICTION, MAKING IT LESS UNIQUE

UNIQUE IS CONTRADICT?

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2020, 08:31:16 pm »

A path that nobody else can take is certainly a Unique one! Even if other people can take it but refused to. Unique Ruminates twice on Piratical project.

Seeing Luck steal Unique's beautifully Unique target, Unique decides to steal it back! Copy Convergence from Luck!

Unique fears not from Contradiction's attempt to make it less Unique. It is the one and only Unique. "Corrupting" it will only serve to make it the only corrupted Greater Idea, a new and Unique creation.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2020, 10:23:52 pm »

"Silence is Mean. Noise doesn't even come close to you, so how could you Refute it? Anyway. Time to Copy some Direction from Fate, Absorb Desire, and Extrapolate from my Idolasphere again. I had plans for Noise, and you killed them Silence! Let the Sound Flow~"

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7