Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to make dwarves conquerors in world gen?  (Read 1064 times)

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How to make dwarves conquerors in world gen?
« on: December 30, 2020, 04:35:14 pm »

I noticed that Dwarves mostly only fight defensive wars. This results in them usually being in an uphill battle against their enemies because they never reconquer lost territory once it is lost. How can I make dwarves more bellicose? I want them to fight Humans, Elves, Goblins indiscriminately and that these other groups do the same, basically making a more realistic scenario in which they make war because of the interests at the time.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to make dwarves conquerors in world gen?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 05:06:42 pm »

There are some aspects to your request that aren't moddable, the fact that conquering runs so poorly is for Toady alone to fix but the smoothest alternative solution would be to tweak some of the entity values for smoother and more interesting experiences.

• Create more sources of conflict, like differences that can't be settled fire vs water religion for instance between different races for a valid casus belli, a simple addition and extension to existing dwarven volcano beliefs.
To the above point, you might want to create two distinct groups of dwarves either personalized or using the human randomized values to create 'wildcard' dwarves as obvious or unorthodox as you like.

• More technical fix is to remove bandits by setting their banditry value to 0, to increase the amount of mercenaries in the world and less wars fought with time wasted against bandit groups.
  • More distinct civs usually make the political landscape varied, I currently have a very interesting scenario where deep-risen clowns have hired some honor-obsessed orcs (originally credited to be made by smagglepagus and put into my game session) and humans bound by a unlikely alliance crossing boundaries of baby snatching to fight the coalition army, 30 losses to 800 losses on the defender's side.
Much of the conquering would have to be by yourself unfortunately in the end, as the results vary from w.g to post w.g play on what is possible for armies to achieve.