Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Warhammer Fantasy mod, take two  (Read 2566 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Warhammer Fantasy mod, take two
« on: September 25, 2017, 05:38:55 pm »

Against my better judgement, I'm reviving this. Will likely reuse many raws because it's better than throwing everything out.

Aside from that, I'm probably going to be remaking and reworking nearly everything. Whenever I release this, and I have no illusions that it will be soon, it'll probably be considered done and I'll just keep it updated afterwards, at least until the magic release.

Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

toasteroftoast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer Fantasy mod, take two
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 06:01:34 am »

Hooray! Best of luck with it, and looking forward to it immensely  :D

Stronghammer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 12:25:45 pm »

Hooray! Good to see someone taking another stab at it. Best of luck! I eagerly await your progress.

Metall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2017, 06:24:01 am »

You have no idea how much I want this. The latest version is last years DF... and with the new year rolling in, I'm getting antsy.

Of course, I'm also getting quite antsy due to the death of Masterwork.

Immensely looking forward to your work.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 03:16:27 pm »

You have no idea how much I want this. The latest version is last years DF... and with the new year rolling in, I'm getting antsy.

Of course, I'm also getting quite antsy due to the death of Masterwork.

Immensely looking forward to your work.
Just don't expect it too soon.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2017, 05:28:11 pm »

Beastiaries will be easier to do post artifact update because of greater modding for mounted/civ held creatures.

From cold ones, to wood elf giant eagles its probably easier to hold on for a second longer.

Metall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 12:08:49 am »

Of course I don't expect anything right now. I'm mostly just happy that somebodies doing Fortresshammer still. (just a cute name I came up with for Warhammer DF mods...)

And ya, better to wait for the Artifact release.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 08:04:39 am »

Hi (again i should say, i dont even remember a time before 2020 nowadays or posting on this thread.), i noticed your modification and really a few bits of pieces of it is what actually started getting me involved into trying to engage with DFhack lua's more, by repurposing the grownwood.lua for my own elf-modifications because its very helpful to my needs (and subsequently i've been looking at other old mods piled into this warhammer mod which has been useful for cross referencing more data about them on the forum.)

I have a few constructive things about the modification, perhaps this would constitute a new module alongside a patch to help keep things more contempoary alongside the status of the game if it ever progresses onto a stable 44.12 release like mephs masterwork managed to do or the latest version of DF (of which my own personal efforts into trying to make this or a desaturated dfhackless compatible version are trundling along slowly)
  • 'Empire' human's name is ordered incorrectly, with the group association actually, so in testing arena every citizen is labelled 'The Empire' - Imperial - Imperial,
  • though without modifying anything, the game crashes when loaded into 47.04 as is probably expected
  • Varghulf and Vargheist is flipped, lorewise vargheists are the variant created by dark-magic over use, usually by a force of punishment or pushing too many boundaries, while varghulfs are blood deprivation bringing out their inner beastial side. Vargulf hair and fur is present on the vargheist and vice versa.

I do have a few suggestions too if there was any new content to be added to a module.

- Complete clear out and warhammerization of underground fauna, with playable skaven & night goblins could possibly inhabit a niche with [LAYER_LINKED] with assorted benefits/drawbacks that they wont be active in the overworld map without a player fortress & a retire, can appear underground and also have access to creatures upon all three layers. This also causes them to appear in city sewers in adventure mode by happy coincidence in DF token definitions, so it fits thematically being underneath the empire's feet.

- Skaven could have [UTTERANCES] to set them apart from normal diplomacy (not exactly nessecary just flavor to talk with other [UTTERANCE] races in a given faction), and a preference for caves as a site (the larger cave sites with the new versions would be a suitable base, as they have rooms and places to store stolen objects) as also a alternative for night-goblins.

- Highly valuable warpstone ore, which can be ground into a dangerous powder contaminant causing all manner of terrible effects, and added with [SPATTER_ADD] (a common plugin to most recent dfhacks) to skaven weapons, little chaos engraved enhancements like the rune system, or minted into token-coins for commercializing purchasing supplies, war gear, magic and moulder-mutant creatures.

- Other races have ways to process warpstone ore & dust, with it being inheirently valuable; high elves for instance could convert dust into many kinds of power-crystal to suppliment Hoerth Loremaster progression and learn their spells, most mages on both sides can suck processed warpstone up for exp boosts and empire alchemists can either sell it onto the black market or try a foolish conversion of lead into gold or die trying (of which im not even sure if failure can trigger a event to attempt to kill the worker, maybe just being low chance with a forced negative emotional thought, ask meph maybe)

- More contempoary code practices, such as [ANIMAL] definitions for creatures unique to civilizations and warhammer creatures over evil areas corrupted by spheres, vamp-counts being non-living for instance, influencing [SPHERE:DEATH] regions and [RULER_SPREADS_EVIL_SPHERES] affecting flora and fauna.

- Updating most of the spells with necromancer lieutenant interactions, working the freezing glance into the fear system for jabberslythes and the like could be very effective.

- Possibly some perfect-world presets of notable warhammer locations, or least a latest version friendly worldgen file.

It kinda seems like a lot but other than the kind of work that's required to get the mod running again from a DFhack perspective as the data-structures have probably changed, the RAW changes aren't too worrying i dont think as long as they're applied carefullly it can all fall quite naturally into place.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2021, 07:44:20 am by FantasticDorf »