Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress on Lubuntu  (Read 965 times)

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress on Lubuntu
« on: December 20, 2020, 04:58:13 pm »

I installed DF through Lubuntu's loader application, which is called Discover. The game runs fine, but I'm wondering where the game files are stored. I have searched around for an answer to this question, and they all point to folders that either don't exist or don't contain the game. I have tried using the search feature in the file system viewer, using search terms like "*dwarf*", but that's totally obtuse.

Does anyone know where DF files are stored in Lubuntu?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress on Lubuntu
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2020, 05:20:27 pm »

I know filenames containing "df" (or the whole name, but often "df_linux" and maybe other variations) are significant in some of the distro-targetted versions that might not have "dwarf" (or "Dwarf"... you could be hitting a case-sensitive situation).

I don't have much (barely any) Lubuntu experience, so anything else (e.g. you're doing an intrinsically user-account restriced path-search for things that are not normally show you without sudoing/whatever) would be even more guesswork, but if you're not already giving your search that little extra scope then maybe you can try it.

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2020, 05:32:39 pm »

I used the search feature to find all the files, and then I was able to filter the ones containing dwarf or df. One location is /home/lubuntu/.config/dwarf-fortress

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2020, 05:34:21 pm »

Some of the files are duplicates. This must have to do with the fact that I used Rufus to install Lubuntu on a live USB. Rufus uses bizarre workarounds to extend the natural maximum disk size. So now to figure out which files depend on which other files. Which df_init.txt to modify.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2020, 06:00:13 pm »

The Muon package manager has an Installed Files tab for installed packages. You could use that to see what got installed where. My guess is that DF is run from a script that makes sure /home/lubuntu/.config/dwarf-fortress exists, changes the current directory to that, and runs DF from there. (This is what is done on Arch Linux.) Such a script would be installed to somewhere like /usr/bin/. Edit: looks like /usr/games/dwarf-fortress is the script - read that to see what it does. Ugh, a python script.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 06:18:26 pm by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2020, 06:27:13 pm »

It says the locations of PKG_LIB_DIR, PKG_DATA_DIR, and LOCAL_DATA_DIR. Not sure which of those I should alter.

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2020, 06:33:00 pm »

Okay, pretty sure it's /home/lubuntu/.config/dwarf-fortress
« Last Edit: December 20, 2020, 06:35:32 pm by PopTart »

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2020, 06:37:28 pm »

Depends on what file you want to change. Some are in /home/user/.config/dwarf-fortress for each user and some in /usr/share/...
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

PopTart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2020, 12:27:14 am »

Decided to throw the whole thing away and install the PyLNP, which is up to date (47.04).