Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 35

Author Topic: Competitive Evolution (Turn 18) (11/15)  (Read 33465 times)

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
Re: Competitive Evolution (Turn 11) (11/15)
« Reply #300 on: January 24, 2021, 04:04:53 pm »

Magma Will the Lagus need to develop heart and circulation system before next growth size, or more complex skeletal system?

A circulatory system is required for larger sizes, while your primitive calcite framework can get you far enough.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: January 24, 2021, 04:11:20 pm »

The only other extant clades are the ones that are specified in the main post. When one player leaves their former niche for another, they diverge from their ancestor and form a distinct line.

For example, Amaranth Blob is still extant because its decendants adapted to eat algea instead of just debris, leaving it behind to fill the same niche. Also, the orginal blob isn't extant because its niche is filled by the superior Amaranth blob.

Only lineages there on the open sea are Hivecakes and your variety of blish.
Yes, i know, i was talking about our ancestors, like the amaranth blob and the giant blo. I did not know our lineage disappeared from the lake, i thought it just expanded its range in the sea. Did i get outcompeted in my previous enviroment  or something?

You never disappeared from the sea, you are still in it, just not in the shores like your lineages close relative is.

Your last common ancestor with the filterfeeding blish is the pooping blish. Your blishes are the decendants of those who have left the shallows for the growths of hivecakes. Pooping blish was also a filterfeeder, so it was replaced by the new and better ones afterwards.
I'm sorry, for some reason i thought that the lake and the sea were different things. Still, my question stands, why is my lineage only present in the open sa feeding on hivecakes but not near the shores? Did i get oucompeted by some other herbivore? Could not properly feed on seafloor algae? Also, why there are no hivecakes near the shores? Is it because of the currents? I need to understand these things to properly guide my evolution.

Your blish are the decendants of pooping blish that settled in the hivecake colonies for their soft and nutritious tissues. Hivecakes only live on the deeper parts of the sea, so you also do as you feed upon and live among them.

Coastal pancakes are too sparse to sustain something that eats them alone (most of them are on coasts anyways, out of reach), and the algal growths are seething with lagus, which are specifically evolved to exploit them and it will be hard for something to displace them.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Leonardo8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 24, 2021, 04:31:20 pm »

The only other extant clades are the ones that are specified in the main post. When one player leaves their former niche for another, they diverge from their ancestor and form a distinct line.

For example, Amaranth Blob is still extant because its decendants adapted to eat algea instead of just debris, leaving it behind to fill the same niche. Also, the orginal blob isn't extant because its niche is filled by the superior Amaranth blob.

Only lineages there on the open sea are Hivecakes and your variety of blish.
Yes, i know, i was talking about our ancestors, like the amaranth blob and the giant blo. I did not know our lineage disappeared from the lake, i thought it just expanded its range in the sea. Did i get outcompeted in my previous enviroment  or something?

You never disappeared from the sea, you are still in it, just not in the shores like your lineages close relative is.

Your last common ancestor with the filterfeeding blish is the pooping blish. Your blishes are the decendants of those who have left the shallows for the growths of hivecakes. Pooping blish was also a filterfeeder, so it was replaced by the new and better ones afterwards.
I'm sorry, for some reason i thought that the lake and the sea were different things. Still, my question stands, why is my lineage only present in the open sa feeding on hivecakes but not near the shores? Did i get oucompeted by some other herbivore? Could not properly feed on seafloor algae? Also, why there are no hivecakes near the shores? Is it because of the currents? I need to understand these things to properly guide my evolution.

Your blish are the decendants of pooping blish that settled in the hivecake colonies for their soft and nutritious tissues. Hivecakes only live on the deeper parts of the sea, so you also do as you feed upon and live among them.

Coastal pancakes are too sparse to sustain something that eats them alone (most of them are on coasts anyways, out of reach), and the algal growths are seething with lagus, which are specifically evolved to exploit them and it will be hard for something to displace them.
Understood. Thank you.
Gotototoe, in light of the new information the gm has given us i believe that a circulatory sistem will probably be more useful than a better respiratory system. We will have to get rid of the mane eventually but it will probably be up to the task to provide oxygen to our muscles for now. What do you think?

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: January 24, 2021, 05:46:22 pm »

Hmmm...

Edit:  Changed votes.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 06:05:54 pm by A_Curious_Cat »
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: January 24, 2021, 08:24:12 pm »

Team Lagus

Vote: Using our newly formed muscles, evolve two pair sets of fins on the Lagus... First pair of fins are curved outwards allowing greater motion of movement in coordination with the tail, these one would be located at rear of Lagus on it's sides in downward angle... While second pair of fins are located just good bit from the gills to side of body curved more in inwards the body giving slight grasping effect but mostly for movement.

SS Vote: Luminosity Communication - Form rods and cones in heat eyes, while adapting parts of them in tendrils for emitting different colors of heat/light, to cause Lagus to favor those who best put on forms of display as part of social cohesion.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 08:25:45 pm by flazeo25 »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 25, 2021, 06:34:15 am »

Team Pasta Vēlōcis

Vote:  Primitive Circulatory System.  Evolve a primitive circulatory system consisting of a single main artery with a primitive heart and a single primary vein.  These should be positioned above the digestive tract with the heart above the esophagus.  Smaller arteries and capillaries should branch out as necessary.

SS Vote:  More oxygen.  More pharyngeal slits (as many as we can manage) are added to the pharynx in front of the already present slits but behind the “head”.  The inside surfaces of these slits should be filled with dense networks of capillaries which act to provide optimum exchange of gasses thus allowing them to act as internal gills.  This should provide the extra oxygen we need to power the myomeres we’ll be adding later.

Edit:  Changed the main vote to one involving a circulatory system.  Extra gills aren’t going to do us a bit of good without one.  Also, moved what was the main vote down to the SS vote and made it clear that what we wanted was internal gills.

+1 SUPPORTING, because we need blood in our veins!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: January 25, 2021, 08:28:20 am »

Pancake!

Vote:
Deepen our root systems so we can access deeper groundwater, allowing us to spread further from the coasts to drier land.

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: January 25, 2021, 08:21:04 pm »

Team Lagus

Vote: Form a tail fin above the anus of the Lagus. The tail is Homocercal and forked in shape. The tail is made of the same outer tissue layer with a small extension of the calcite and muscles to flap the tail. It is used for faster propulsion of the lagus. The former tail shall be converted into this new tail.

Good enough? +1 to ss as well
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 07:31:24 pm by The Canadian kitten »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: January 26, 2021, 12:18:48 pm »

Pancake!

Vote:
Deepen our root systems so we can access deeper groundwater, allowing us to spread further from the coasts to drier land.
Support

GOTOTOTOE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: January 26, 2021, 05:56:06 pm »

Well, this is not ideal, but it not a disaster either. We already got the biggest, baddest jaws we could possibly develop, now we just have to grow into them.

Muscle Growth: in time only the biggest, strongest, most muscular specimen were able to both attract their partners and survive the cost of their huge jaws. Bigger, stronger muscles allowed them to use their jaws efficiently, while also allowing them to power through the dense underwater undergrowth with much less effort.

As for the sex vote, i am going for something relatively safe that should provide us with great benefits.
Gaseous Pseudocaeloma: The gas bladder continued its expansion, slowly becoming much more than a simple bouyancy organ. It is now a complex system of chambers and sphincteres, that provides a rigid support for the body. This adaptation has changed the overall shape of the organism, who is now much more vertically compressed, as the chambers are not tubular, but they develop in height more than in width.
Of course these adaptation are intended to synergize with each other, allowing the creature to swim like an eel and finally letting go of flagella (that wil not remain useful for much longer considering how large we will become)

Gotototoe, i believe a good adaptations righ now would be gills to bring more oxygen to our muscles, but if youn don't want to risk it and support my vote it should be fine too. Or maybe you have other ideas?

Also, if our first adaptaton succeeds, i want our name to be the Swole Blish.

@Magmacube_tr, i understand that my species has little reason to go outside the hivecake, as it always surrounded by food, but technically shouldn't it also be able to hunt some primitive animals and chew other plants now? My species'  chewing ability is very low right now, but most our ancestors are even slower, with almost nothing in the way of senses and with no defense whatsoever, so my species should be able to hunt them should the need arise right?
i'll support gills!
EDIT: after reading a bit more i think i support the circulation vote
« Last Edit: January 26, 2021, 05:59:30 pm by GOTOTOTOE »

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: January 26, 2021, 06:50:14 pm »

Team Lagus

Team Lagus

Vote: Using our newly formed muscles, evolve two pair sets of fins on the Lagus... First pair of fins are curved outwards allowing greater motion of movement in coordination with the tail, these one would be located at rear of Lagus on it's sides in downward angle... While second pair of fins are located just good bit from the gills to side of body curved more in inwards the body giving slight grasping effect but mostly for movement.

SS Vote: Luminosity Communication - Form rods and cones in heat eyes, while adapting parts of them in tendrils for emitting different colors of heat/light, to cause Lagus to favor those who best put on forms of display as part of social cohesion.

+1 to Fins.
+1 to SS.

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: January 27, 2021, 02:55:41 pm »

Team Pancake
Naturegirl: Supports Demonic.
Kilojoule: ...
Demonic: Deeper roots.

Team Pasta Vēlōcis
Curious Cat: A primitive one way circulatory system.
King Zultan: Supports Curious Cat
SS vote: Gill slits, independantly evolved from the external ones.

Team Lagus Blob
flazeo25: Two sets of fins, one near the gills, other near the tail.
Mcdreich: Supports flazeo25
Canadian kitten: A fish tail derived from the ancient flagella.
SS vote: Luminosity communication.

Team Friendly Pancake:
Kashyyk: Thicker cells walls for further durability.
SS vote: Longer and more effective water filtering tentacles.

Team Eraclito (This team name sounds kinda familiar. Do I know you from somewhere else, Leonardo?)
Leonardo: Muscles.
GOTOTOTOE: Gills.
SS vote: A set of gas bladders that give the animal a new, eel-like shape, derived from the primitive. swim bladder.

Is it clear here?

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: January 27, 2021, 03:39:14 pm »

Clear as crystal (even though lots of crystals are opaque the saying means clear)

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: January 27, 2021, 04:41:09 pm »

Yep

Leonardo8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: January 27, 2021, 05:07:51 pm »

Edit: i realized what you meant just now. Probably from the species forum, i used to play this kind of games there too.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2021, 06:23:10 pm by Leonardo8 »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 35