Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 35

Author Topic: Competitive Evolution (Turn 18) (11/15)  (Read 32623 times)

GOTOTOTOE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Competitive Evolution (Turn 12) (11/15)
« Reply #330 on: January 30, 2021, 06:59:29 am »

F*ck, i misread the vote check. Gototoe vote was for a circulatory system, not for gills. Ok, my mistake, i should have read more carefully.
Circulatory system: the gills start to grow inward, until they reach some of the gaseous chambers. Some  of these fill with an oxygen and nutrient transporting fluid and branch out in thousands of capillaries, that bring the oxygen from the gills and the nutrients from the guts to the rest of the body. The same sphincters that pumped the gas in and out now pump the fluid 
To be clear, this is an addition, not a replacement to our gaseous pseudocoeloma.
Gotototoe i think this time supporting my vote Is a good idea, i don't think we have any other pressing matters to address. Unless you can think of some?
nope, all support to you!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 30, 2021, 12:46:30 pm »

I see that you all are developed enough to add and change things, and still survive and thrive in hospitable environment. Your basic bodily systems are all set, and you are all at least fast, efficent and clever enough to detect things unwanted.

But all of you are still very primitive. Blishes are docile filterfeeders, and Lagus and Eelish are also just herbivores. Pancake decendants are even more so, Greenplates do not even worry about a single thing. Other games such as this I've seen before would already have all its players reaching land by now.

I know the problem. That is why I will take action. All those other games had one thing in common, a team that pushes players around ny becoming predators from the start. I will be that predator. Lemme just grab my swimsuit.

But don't worry, It won't be sudden, You will have plenty of time to prepare, for I will...

I create my own team. Team Akın. I will have two three votes to use, as it will be too slow to vote one per round.

I choose Amaranth Blob as my starter.

I will be revealing my votes in the vote check.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 06:00:58 am by Magmacube_tr »
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Leonardo8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 30, 2021, 01:44:06 pm »

I see that you all are developed enough to add and change things, and still survive and thrive in hospitable environment. Your basic bodily systems are all set, and you are all at least fast, efficent and clever enough to detect things unwanted.

But all of you are still very primitive. Blishes are docile filterfeeders, and Lagus and Eelish are also just herbivores. Pancake decendants are even more so, Greenplates do not even worry about a single thing. Other games such as this I've seen before would already have all its players reaching land by now.

I know the problem. That is why I will take action. All those other games had one thing in common, a team that pushes players around ny becoming predators from the start. I will be that predator. Lemme just grab my swimsuit.

But don't worry, It won't be sudden, You will have plenty of time to prepare, for I will...

I create my own team. Team Akın. I will have two votes to use, as it will be too slow to vote one per round.

I choose Amaranth Blob as my starter.

I will be revealing my votes in the vote check.
There is no real need for any of us to go predator, when we have endless fields to feed upon. The competition between teams is almost non-existent. I was considering the idea, but unless someone else joins me in the deep sea or the hivecakes become much harder to eat it would not be a wise direction to go for my creature.
Anyway, this is my proposal for the Sex Vote. Something small that hopefully will not fuck us over too bad if it fails.:
Pheromones: the Eelish start developing pheromones to quickly find each other in the tangled mazes of the hivecakes.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: January 30, 2021, 02:14:23 pm »

Team Friendly Pancake
Predatory Pancakes
The Waterrakers tentacles have evolved to react to contact by larger organisms, curling around them and sticking to them in a similar way to how tentacles are used to bond with other hivecakes. There is however, one crucial difference. These proteins are greedy, slowly breaking down their targets, rather than facilitating the exchange of nutrients. In this way, unwary creatures are entrapped and slowly digested even as they struggle to escape.

SS Vote: Neuro-chemical Communication
As our hivecakes grow larger, the slowness of chemical communication becomes apparent. A new cell, the neuron, transfers information by electrical charge, rapidly speeding communication within an individual hivecake.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Competitive Evolution (Turn 11) (11/15)
« Reply #334 on: January 30, 2021, 09:23:47 pm »

<snip>

Team Pasta Vēlōcis
A_Curious_Cat: A primitive circulatory system: 5+2=capped at 5
King Zultan: Supports A_Curious_Cat
Sexual Selection vote: Gill slits equipped with veins lining the throat: 1+1=2

Mouthbreather Blish
A critical evolitionary breakthrough has happened among the filterfeeding blish. A circulatory system! The blish now has a periodically contracting tissue that pushes and pulls the liquid inside the veins that courses its entire body, from head to tail. The system is pretty effective, and has allowed this clade to finally break the size barrier they faced for eons.

But there is a bad side to these changes. A replication error have caused the pair of slits that the creature had on its esophagus to appear repeatedly on the pharynx. While these do function as gills, they also have downsides that outwieigth the goods. These slits are lined with close to skin veins, and this causes these veins to lose a bit of the liquid inside them there, the result is a constant losing of valuable nutrients. Their blood has a distinct smell that makes their presence clear to the other blish, making the chances at reproduction higher.

The slits also cause problems with eating, as the organic debris can be lost through the waterflow from the slits before it is filtered. This causes the blish to suck in water at a much faster and frantic rate, for fewer results, and giving it its current name.

It needs to have stitches, and also some gainz on that tail.

Description: An aquatic animal that is 20 centimeters long. It moves along the sea floor and above with its slow-beating, flagella-covered tail and digests any organic debris it can find through its mouth that leads to its complex, three sectioned digestive system, which leads to an anus. It has 10 black dots on its very front, 4 of them larger then the other 6. The smaller six form a hexagon that surrounds a square that is formed from the bigger 4, which surrounds a single jawless mouth. It uses these dots to smell the water around and act according to them, approaching or avoiding alike. These dots and everything this animal has as parts are connected to and commanded by a chord of nerves that runs from front to back of the animal that branches out to the rest of the body. It is close to a rod of cartilage that supports its body, and has an extension on its front that grants the animal a sense of airflow. A mane of thin and short crimson strands surround the head region, and functions as gills, along with a set of pairs of slits, that while function as additional gills, cause more problems than they do good. A system of blood-filled veins course through its body , powered by a single muscle pump. It reproduces by external fertilisation of eggs performed by two distinct genders. The fertilised eggs hatch into tiny juneviles, which reach full size and sexual maturity not too long after.

Habitat: The sea, near the sea floor as its food is there.

<snip>
(Color coding added)

This was basically what I wanted (some species of primitive chordates have up to 200 gill slits on their pharynx).  Note, btw, that the original pair of slits were technically on the pharynx as well (they just happened to be immediately in front of the esophagus).

Hmmm.  It looks like our capillaries are leaking.   We need to do something to stop that.   We want to take on oxygen, but we don’t want to lose blood, fluids, or nutrients.   What to do....  what to do...

Again, we seem to have a problem here (of course, having a whole bunch of pharyngeal slits doesn’t seem to be any problem for the primitive chordates that have them...).  We’re going to have to do something about this before we move on to other things.  The question is “how?”  What to do...  what to do...

Yeah, there’s a few things that need to be fixed before we move on.  That tail, however, can wait until after we get an eucoelom and myomere banks.

What to do...  what to do...
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 31, 2021, 07:00:51 am »

Maybe we could just move the capillaries so they don't interfere with stuff so they stop leaking?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: January 31, 2021, 07:54:07 am »

I mean, pancakes were semi predatory for a time and I was considering aiming for hunting jellyfish, but then the seas got full of heavy metals or something and we decided we should go on land instead. I think the bigger reason for stagnation is our comfortably all sitting at LC/NT rather than due to a lack of predators.

I would suggest just making the temperament and environment/strength dice less forgiving rather than forming a gm species, but a gm species could be fun too, so both!

Greenplates do not even worry about a single thing. Other games such as this I've seen before would already have all its players reaching land by now.
Hehe, guilty.  :P I had expected someone to begin following us by now. But Greenplates rule the land I guess.

Anyway

Pancake!

Vote:
Greenplate will rework its reproduction system. The young will now be formed as dormant dandelion like seeds which will be spread far and wide by the wind, sprouting and growing into new greenplates.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2021, 08:08:13 am by Demonic Spoon »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 31, 2021, 07:51:12 pm »

I mean, pancakes were semi predatory for a time and I was considering aiming for hunting jellyfish, but then the seas got full of heavy metals or something and we decided we should go on land instead. I think the bigger reason for stagnation is our comfortably all sitting at LC/NT rather than due to a lack of predators.

I would suggest just making the temperament and environment/strength dice less forgiving rather than forming a gm species, but a gm species could be fun too, so both!

Greenplates do not even worry about a single thing. Other games such as this I've seen before would already have all its players reaching land by now.
Hehe, guilty.  :P I had expected someone to begin following us by now. But Greenplates rule the land I guess.

Anyway

Pancake!

Vote:
Greenplate will rework its reproduction system. The young will now be formed as dormant dandelion like seeds which will be spread far and wide by the wind, sprouting and growing into new greenplates.
Support

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: January 31, 2021, 09:37:16 pm »

Team Lagus

Vote: Bloodflow Circulation
Develop a muscular clump 2 valve organ called a 'heart' in middle of it's body that pumps blood through lagus body through primary artery that runs a tube layer from the heart to tail then back through auxiliary vein to its heart, then to it auxiliary artery  connecting to the gills and to it's head before returning to heart using it primary vein. Small capillaries and other should branch when necessary, with the 2 valve creating a cycle of blood pumping.

SS Vote: Neuron Power
The net of nerves are to arranged to bunch up in more controlled manner by forming more axions between each nerve and triggering more synaptic pulses. Each nerve is to then arranged specialized into three distinct categories become early types of neurons, sensory neurons to allow better processing of dumby lagus sense, motor neurons, to allow it better move it's muscles, tail and fins and Interneurons that allow communication between first two and the central ganglion.

Support and +1 ss

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: February 01, 2021, 09:19:02 am »

Team Pancake
Naturegirl: Supports Demonic
Kilojoule: ...
Demonic: Oil capsules to wind dispersed seeds.

Team Pasta Vēlōcis
Curious Cat: Fix the gills.
King Zultan: Supports Curious Cat
SS vote: Improve filterfeeding.

Team Lagus Blob
Flazeo: A circulatory system.
McDreich: Supports Flazeo
Canadian Kitten: Supports Flazeo
SS vote: Better nervous system.

Team Friendly Pancake:
Kashyyk: Waterrakers turn predatory.
SS vote: A nervous system

Team Eraclito
Leonardo: A circulatory system.
GOTOTOTOE: Supports Leonardo.
SS vote: Pheromonal signalling.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2021, 10:12:05 am by Magmacube_tr »
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: February 01, 2021, 09:23:22 am »

Team Akın

1) Six pairs of limp flaps form on the sides of the animal, increasing the surface area which it can harvest nutrients.

2) The soft tissue that forms the blob gain the ability to flex. They do this autonomously, and never stop, casing the animal to always move foward in a worm-like fashion.

3) The will-be-vestigial hairs adapt into primitive external gills, concentrated on the back of the creature, vaugely resembling the fans of a Stegosaurus.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: February 01, 2021, 10:51:56 am »

Team Pasta Vēlōcis

Vote:  Fix the problem with the gills.  Do whatever needs to be done (for example, making it so that the blood vessels in the gills aren’t so close to the surface and/or making them so that they are better at retaining their contents ) in order to eliminate loss of fluids/blood/nutrients while also ensuring proper oxygenation.

SS Vote:  Fix the problem with our filter-feeding.  Do whatever needs to be done (for example, making the epistyle larger and/or stickier) in order to trap more food.  If necessary, reduce the number of pharyngeal slits (note, however, that any reduction in the number of pharyngeal slits should be accompanied by a reduction in the length of the pharynx) while still maintaining good oxygenation.

Note that, in the case of both the above votes, we want oxygenation (and nutrient uptake/retention) sufficient to power the banks of myomeres that we plan on adding on the next turn (and which we would have added this turn if the last turn had worked properly  >:().

Leonardo8

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: February 01, 2021, 11:11:20 am »

It's fine. I hope we can survive our first predator.

Maxinum McDreich

• Bay Watcher
  • Gree-diddly-tings.
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 01, 2021, 12:10:38 pm »

Team Lagus

Team Lagus

Vote: Bloodflow Circulation
Develop a muscular clump 2 valve organ called a 'heart' in middle of it's body that pumps blood through lagus body through primary artery that runs a tube layer from the heart to tail then back through auxiliary vein to its heart, then to it auxiliary artery  connecting to the gills and to it's head before returning to heart using it primary vein. Small capillaries and other should branch when necessary, with the 2 valve creating a cycle of blood pumping.

SS Vote: Neuron Power
The net of nerves are to arranged to bunch up in more controlled manner by forming more axions between each nerve and triggering more synaptic pulses. Each nerve is to then arranged specialized into three distinct categories become early types of neurons, sensory neurons to allow better processing of dumby lagus sense, motor neurons, to allow it better move it's muscles, tail and fins and Interneurons that allow communication between first two and the central ganglion.

+1 to both. My own brain malfunctioning, can't come up with anything, so just adding +2's.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: February 01, 2021, 05:20:30 pm »

<snip>

Team Pasta Vēlōcis
Curious Cat: Fix the gills.
King Zultan: ...
SS vote: Improve filterfeeding.

<snip>

Looks fine to me.

It's fine. I hope we can survive our first predator.

I’d like to point out that filter-feeding is technically predation.  The predator just happens to be considerably larger than the prey.  But don’t worry, our beloved Blish won’t be satisfied with such pitiful morsels forever... ;D
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 35