Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Any way to force a King?  (Read 1932 times)

DonDiablo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Any way to force a King?
« on: December 25, 2020, 11:25:57 am »

Hello good people,

I have always played dwarf fortress with a pop cap of 80 to get all the goodies but avoid fps death.

However i have hit a very nice legends with the very first king that roamed the earth still alive as a necromancer and another civ with a goblin king. As you can understand im itchy to get this goblin king as a new sacrifice ruler in my haunted glacier fort.
From what i understand getting a monarch is hardcoded and can only be achieved by having a minimum of 120 dwarfes (mountainhome)

I wanted to know if anyone knows another method even if it is trough dfhack or a mod. To get this king earlier and so avoid fps death.

This question was asked before but it has been 6 years ago http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=145454.0

Thanks in advance

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Any way to force a King?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2020, 11:46:00 am »

The answer is a slightly different one from the one valid 6 years ago anyway...

The criteria for becoming the mountainhome are now said to involve getting holdings for your fortress, and supposedly the pop cap criterion has been removed. I don't know to which extent other criteria have been modified, however, nor how many holdings you need to progress (more than the current mountain home? [pure guess]).

You can get holdings by waiting for them to attach themselves to your fortress or form spontaneously, or you can conquer enemy ones.

DonDiablo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2020, 12:24:44 pm »

The answer is a slightly different one from the one valid 6 years ago anyway...

The criteria for becoming the mountainhome are now said to involve getting holdings for your fortress, and supposedly the pop cap criterion has been removed. I don't know to which extent other criteria have been modified, however, nor how many holdings you need to progress (more than the current mountain home? [pure guess]).

You can get holdings by waiting for them to attach themselves to your fortress or form spontaneously, or you can conquer enemy ones.

Alright thanks, thats interesting, i wasnt aware of that change. So I understand correct that now i can get a mountainhome/king just by collecting holdings(which in turn happens simply by creating wealth?)
Any idea from which version that changed? This safe is from version 44.12.

Thanks

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2020, 05:26:46 pm »

I don't think holdings is enough in itself: I suspect some of the other criteria may still be in play. Creating wealth does not create holdings in itself either, as there has to be somewhere for the new hillocks to be placed (i.e. places suitable for dwarven habitations), unless you expand by conquest (which is badly bugged, with crash bugs resulting from data corruption. Toady has tried to fix that a number of times, but hasn't succeeded yet, but the community has made some headway when it comes to identify it and sometimes clear it before the game is lost).

I'm not sure when the criteria changed. Obviously after raiding was introduced.

DonDiablo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2020, 07:00:41 pm »

Thanks for the answer PatrickLundell. I will find out exactly how the holdings work, havent played around with it yet.
But it would still be great if someone knows the exact conditions required to receive a king/queen.

But as i understand i should be able to receive one even on low cap 50-80 dwarves ? (Is it possible to say that with certainty ?)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2020, 09:08:43 pm »

Been reading the holdings page on the wiki.  Apparently, it says that for a site to become economically linked to you it has to be 6 world tiles or less away from you.  Furthermore, in order for new hillocks to be founded, there needs to be suitable terrain (I.e. hills or grassland).  How far is your glacier fort from those things?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2020, 03:59:50 am »

The economic site, irregardless of whether they'll let you actually demand anything if they're goblins or elves counts the population into your requirements for land-holders. The soonest i've ever gotten a Baron this way was by the second year because i was blitzed by a mass influx of elves & goblins, before i even had a mayor and only shortly after my first defacto migrant wave, year after that a count was appointed as the snowballing didn't stop, not that i ever saw anything productive come from the economic link other than goblin raiding.

In effect, you need to have the baron or otherwise operational land holder in your fortress and simply 200 persons on or offsite (go to c screen and read all the pop totals in the symbol legend) to summon a Monarch; the economic sites are much of a bugbear that they're really meant to be dwarves (who apparently submit to you and let you request them as they're supposed to operate) and come on a whim taking the occupying place of hillocks without bending the knee or acknowleging anything but its really the fastest way to blaze through the game content.

• The other factors to having a king appear are to have a minimum level of exports & glass, metal and gem working jobs (something like 15 each) working which is a old arbitary holdover from 2d days.

DonDiablo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2020, 08:25:53 am »

Been reading the holdings page on the wiki.  Apparently, it says that for a site to become economically linked to you it has to be 6 world tiles or less away from you.  Furthermore, in order for new hillocks to be founded, there needs to be suitable terrain (I.e. hills or grassland).  How far is your glacier fort from those things?

My fort is on a sinister glacier touching a good serene biome with temperate shrubland. Not sure if for a holding it needs to be a neutral ground ? If so it might be more then 6 tiles away.
Here is a picture of my world, I circled my fort in the bottom with red. On the right i pasted the 2 most dominant biomes around me.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But my goal with this topic was to find out if there was a way to get a king without fps death. I haven't played with the newest updates so was not aware that holdings play a role now. But what I understand from you guys is that i can have a low population (lets say 80 max) and still aquire a king. Which is what i was looking for.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2020, 11:57:09 am »

I believe dorfs are reasonably tolerant when it comes to mild levels of Good and Evil, but I wouldn't try to promise anything.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2020, 06:13:49 am »

You could also try just FPS sickness but not FPs death:  Increase your pop cap to 120, then cull the herd and drop it back down once you get a king.  Unless of course 120 is immediately unplayably slow.