Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: 2021 Hot Fresh Reading Challenge Thread  (Read 10170 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
2021 Hot Fresh Reading Challenge Thread
« on: December 26, 2020, 03:49:40 pm »

Purpose:
- Challenge ourselves or just keep track of our reads here on B12.
- Build a community of readers.
- Share books we liked, pick up new reads.

How to:
---> CHALLENGE MODE: Set a goal for yourself here in the thread and update regularly on your progress.
---> CHILLAX MODE: Just hang out and chill, occasionally talk about books, it's all good man.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 Hot Fresh Reading Challenge Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2020, 03:58:49 pm »

My goal for 2021:
- 12 books of either enjoyable fiction or educational non-fiction. If I read a book and I don't either learn much or enjoy it, it doesn't count. I want to push myself to open my horizons more instead of just mechanically reading through things.
- The Great Chinese Classics I haven't finished yet: Romance of the Three Kingdoms, Water Margin, the one based on Water Margin, The Scholars.
- 6 books in languages that aren't English. Manga counts as a third of a book.
- 4 math books, cover to cover, that aren't required for class.
- 4 books on education theory.
- 4 books on prison/carcerality.

Personal modification:
Finishing books I started in 2020 or earlier is OK.
I'll keep track of the other things I finish in a separate list.

Currently reading: Dragon Republic, RF Kuang.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 02:18:29 am »

Cool :D It's nice to have a buddy!

Yeah, I'm setting an ambitious goal because I'm worried about the possibility of having the summer off while stuck at home (between quarters of grad school) without having any goals already in place. I don't actually expect to succeed but I want to at least push myself a little bit. Aye.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 05:40:43 am »

I'd join this if I had the concentration to read books any-- ooh look a shiny thing

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 12:42:42 pm »

Well, you're PTW, so you can always just engage in Book Discourse :) Chillax mode! Whoo!

But reading a couple of articles or Read One Book are also great goals!

spblewis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2020, 01:40:49 pm »

I'll play.  My 2021 goal will be 55 books.  It's 5 more than my 2020 goal, which I should just barely meet (I'm on book 49 right now).

Currently reading: The Brothers K, by James David Duncan

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2020, 02:42:56 pm »

Aw yeah, I got a small library of things I need to read. I'll start with the scramble for Africa, which I'll start and finish reading by 3rd of Jan 2021

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2020, 06:50:53 pm »

I didn't do a whole lotta reading in 2020, mostly because work was closed and that's where I do 99% of my reading.

Highlights this year include a book called The Butchering Art, which was largely a biography of Joseph Lister, and the evolution of Victorian era surgery.  Lister was a Quaker surgeon who pioneered the application of germ theory and sanitation to surgery.  Apparently it was a very interesting time medically; before there was no anesthetic either, so surgery was a speedrunning affair, and more importantly was rather rarely done.  Anesthetic was just invented at that time, which gave doctors a lot more confidence in surgery, but nonetheless it was still very dangerous and survival was unlikely.

There was also the 'Four Londons' (my name for it) trilogy, although I have not finished the final book.  A Darker Shade of Magic was the first book.  It involved four parallel dimensions, each conveniently having some sort of major city where London is geographically, and each having a different level of magic and a different relationship with said magic.  Gray London was the normal Victorian London, where magic was dead and forgotten.  Red London is a high fantasy world with commonplace magic and magic technology, the river Thames being a massive magical leyline.  White London is war torn and nearly barren, magic is seen as a resource which was overly exploted for quick and easy power, its leadership ultimately being whomever is the most mighty.  Much of their desolation was caused by fighting off whatever leaked from Black London, a sealed off apocalyptic hellhole where magic ran rampant and consumed all life as we know it.  The main character is a guy who is one of very very few born with the power of blood magic, allowing him to travel between the worlds.  The idea of there even being other worlds is only really known to people like the main character (there's like four) and the royalty of each world.

I also read a book on the history of Samurai, which basically means the overall military history of Japan from early oral history to the sino-russian war.  Hollywood depictions of samurai really only reflect on the very tail end of samurai history, when Japan was largely peaceful and isolationist, so a warrior caste had not much better to do than duel, wax poetic, and govern.  Most of the time they were just notable warriors who owned land or whatever, the idea of them being honorable wasn't particularly true outside of suiciding the whole family instead of facing defeat.  They also really didn't mind guns at all and spent no time buying them from the Dutch.

One thing to do this year: I borrowed the JSA Omnibus from a friend, its an entire run of JSA, and the book's like two three inches thick.  Need to actually finish it at some point soon to give it back, as I don't really enjoy having a 100$ book that isn't mine lying around.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2020, 08:11:01 am »

So I finished reading the overlord translations. A guilty pleasure to be sure, I just enjoy series where someone inherits a position of responsibility they have to live up to, like the Young Pope, Romance of the Three Kingdoms or any crime drama ever invented. Unlike the former three; Overlord has a spooky scary skeleton overlord. The running joke of him doing what seems right in the moment and his underlings assuming it's 5D ultimate strip poker underwater backgammon never gets old for me, but it did get old for one of my friends. If you've ever played an online MMORPG where you invested thousands of hours until everything just kinda... Died, and you logged back in years later seeing only a few last messages and lost digital memories... You'll enjoy this series. The main character is an undead lich overlord (in character), but out of character he is the last player to stay behind in his guild, the one left behind. Fits his undead theme perfectly.

I also finished reading Sweet Home, which the author finally finished. It got some emotional kicks out of me, which is surprising since the only reason I started reading it years ago was the jokes about streaming and e-celeb culture. It also got adapted into a netflix Tv-series which was complete trash but the original source material was genuinely nice, for a horror. Its representation of self-loathing was familiar and realistic to me, not just from the main character but from everyone. It has a running theme of what people regret and what they really want in life, I would recommend it.

I'm up to date now on The Young Lady I served became a young Master which is a testament to how shameless my literary tastes are. It's a lazy faux victorian drama isekai with tons of cutesy bait from a protagonist who is aware of what genre they're in but wrongly believes they're just in the supporting cast owing to the gender of the romantic lead being disguised over some courtly intrigue. It's a fun read, would recommend.

Now that I've finished moving my books from one house to another, I can start reading from my physical collection again. Thomas Packenham's Scramble for Africa presents a narrative style history detailing the curious sequence of events that resulted in an entire continent being charted, chartered and annexed in a timespan that even seemed to take the conquerors by surprise. Besides that it would be a disservices to generalise the contents of the book, because the author has taken great pains to try and detail in as much as is possible in just 750 pages the stories of so monumental a historic shift. So far I've read the first three chapters and it's already covered the first European/American explorers, the Zanzibari slavers, the African oddysey to return Livingstone's body, the resistance of the White tribes of Boers and Cetswhayo's Zulus, the ambitions of a Belgian King operating under a humanitarian guise, the Anglo-French rivalry in Egypt and the nascent dreams of a Pasha is having of an Empire down the nile.  This is really a book of books, would recommend

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2020, 07:04:23 pm »

I like to read.

I even ordered 1984 to read that!

And maybe read some Dickens, since NPR was reading A Christmas Carol and it was quite entertaining.

Also Lord of the Rings, though I fear that might be another Moby Dick escapade in which the author can't stick to the narrative, but we'll see how it goes.

I will be doing Chillax Mode because my cognition is horrible these days.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2020, 07:04:49 pm »

Moby Dick is literally a perfect book

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2020, 07:06:06 pm »

The story was genuinely interesting, I just didn't want to go through all the "Herman Melville is so clever look at what he knows" to get to it :p
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2020, 08:04:50 pm »

Moby Dick is literally a perfect book

Agreed LOL. You might like books by Victor Hugo if you like the ol' Moby.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2020, 08:12:23 pm »

I'm gonna read thirty-six (36) books.   

At first I wanted to throw out some random number such as 100, then I figured 40 would be more reasonable, then I toned that down to 36 which means three books a month, which might actually be doable if I get my act together.   
Do Should books we're already reading count towards the challenge? Not sure if I'll manage to finish High-Rise before midnight.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2020, 08:13:35 pm »

Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Sangokushi by Yokoyama Mitsuteru is one of my favorite manga adaptions. It's not completely accurate to the RTK novel, but the classic 1970s and 1980s illustrations are a treat.

Hox has fully translated all 60 volumes on their blog.

EDIT:
Recently, I've been reading Ad Astra which covers the Second Punic War. It's been pretty good so far.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 08:20:03 pm by ToonyMan »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8