Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pedestals vs Display Cases  (Read 3041 times)

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
Pedestals vs Display Cases
« on: December 28, 2020, 09:29:22 pm »

Before I go and build tons of display cases and replace lots of pedestals with them (for happy thoughts) because of this in the wiki:

... Pedestals can be used to display just about any item, but dwarves will only get happy thoughts from seeing furniture be displayed on a pedestal, whereas they will receive happy thoughts from viewing an item in a display case. ...

What are your thoughts on if this wiki statement is accurate?
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pedestals vs Display Cases
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2020, 11:18:13 pm »

Hope it's on the bug tracker too and not just randomly slotted into the wiki...

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2020, 01:28:08 am »

Hope it's on the bug tracker too and not just randomly slotted into the wiki...

Not sure if this is it or not.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2020, 03:39:59 am »

I'm not sure about the happy thoughts. I am sure about room worth.

I don't tend to make display cabinets all that often, as I don't tend to make clear glass to put on them. I make pedestals aplenty, though. If the pedestal has something installed in it, the room is improved only when that installed thing (crown, floodgate, wooden earring....) actually gets installed by a dorf. But it definitely improves the room no end. I have not checked if it changes their happy thoughts any. I'm guessing those are two different mechanisms though?
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2020, 03:58:40 am »

I've never had any problem, i just think its the central focal point furniture bug since i've never had problems adding.

I don't tend to make display cabinets all that often, as I don't tend to make clear glass to put on them. I make pedestals aplenty, though. If the pedestal has something installed in it, the room is improved only when that installed thing (crown, floodgate, wooden earring....) actually gets installed by a dorf. But it definitely improves the room no end. I have not checked if it changes their happy thoughts any. I'm guessing those are two different mechanisms though?

Considering items per-floor space, display-cabinets are the easiest way to hammer in clear glass if its a preferred material to a minimalist bedroom without reserving a entire impassable tile to a random window or boring the rock into a destructable barrier if they need to be confined on the sly (yes citizens, pay no attention to the floodgates in the ceiling of detention block A). Normally i have a podium for each personal quarters in which i try and eccentric'ize their living spaces with preferred objects as and when i encounter them.

This is mainly for couples and nobles as a high priority with neither usually having much floorspace, like my silver & large gem loving mayor who instantly thought they were royalty when i gave him a present of a silver large gem fresh from the forges to fit their cramped office. As the better baseline furniture you produce, the smaller and smaller rooms become with the assurance you can totally fill them out with fittings.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2020, 03:38:34 pm »

As a side note for a couple of you, the wiki says (italics added):

... The window used to create the display case does not affect it in any way; a ☼display case☼ made with a ☼crystal glass window☼ is worth as much as a ☼display case☼ made with a -green glass window-, and the window used is not mentioned in any context...

I plan to make mine out of green glass, and the first one was successfully constructed.  What the heck, I'll just put both a pedestal and display case in their bedrooms... glass is free and the volcano's slopes hav lots of dead trees still to be harvested.
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2020, 05:26:24 pm »

... Pedestals can be used to display just about any item, but dwarves will only get happy thoughts from seeing furniture being displayed on a pedestal, whereas they will receive happy thoughts from viewing an item in a display case. ...

If anybody is editing that (and not totally rewriting), my only knowledgable suggestion for a change is strictly grammatical. Probably a holdover from a prior version of the sentence (and if I had even bothered to check the edit history, when checking it wasn't a transcription error, I'd know this for sure either way).

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2020, 05:44:00 pm »

... Pedestals can be used to display just about any item, but dwarves will only get happy thoughts from seeing furniture being displayed on a pedestal, whereas they will receive happy thoughts from viewing an item in a display case. ...

If anybody is editing that (and not totally rewriting), my only knowledgable suggestion for a change is strictly grammatical. Probably a holdover from a prior version of the sentence (and if I had even bothered to check the edit history, when checking it wasn't a transcription error, I'd know this for sure either way).

I just checked to edit history and it does not appear to be a transcription error.  The same wording appears in the original version of the sentence.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2020, 06:08:52 pm »

Don't mind me, it just stood out. (More than any useful info on displaying items[1] that I could helpfully critique.) An alternate version is to remove the "be".

I can easily imagine the original author had it working before pre-submit editing ruined it. I've done the like myself. And you always notice your own errors far less than other procrastinatingly pedantic passers-by... ;)

[1] I actually came to the thread intruigued to see if there was anything to learn. I don't think I've ever used a pedestal/case, I still tend to use my 'snailshell' secure storage method for putting things into a securely unthievable location and do without the newfangled display boosts. Maybe I'll tear down the walls, extract something and give things a go just for you lot... ;)

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2020, 06:13:39 pm »

Huh. I was informed that green glass couldn't make display cases, and that this was because you can't see well through (medieval) green glass. Possibly this was back in the time when you had to add display cases to the game yourself. I'll probably make more display cases now that I can make them out of green glass.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2020, 06:24:21 pm »

Yeah, it's a bit odd to make them with green glass (I had just assumed clear glass was required until I read the wiki). But I skeptically ordered some and they were constructed, built in a room, and items are being loaded into them.  I'm still wondering what the resulting happy thoughts will be per the o.p. so I'm going to keep an eye out for the thoughts of some key malcontent dwarfs.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2020, 05:22:10 am »

Oh i feel silly, i didn't read the OP too deeply and went more off the title, that's a easily discernable bug by just putting some furniture a dwarf likes in a pedestal then putting it in their room while turning off all the meeting areas, with nothing to do in a cramped space they'll usually take stock of all their room furniture and in turn should get a seperate easily viewable feeling about the pedestal's subject if it reads right.

• Maybe my previous post was full of nonsense then but i could have sworn that the windows in display cases count, i dont tend to build too many because windows aren't always viable on every embark, especially to stuff them in another object.
But i've had them feel happy thoughts for sure in the quiet moments that dwarf need fufilling AI is halted (by force or just being sated). If it snaps to their attention much faster that display cases are more efficient then that's defintiely a bug. But i've used pedestals for display items and room value boosts since forever often in their personal bedrooms for their morning routines where they acknowledge the object i've selected out especially for them and they feel positive about it.