Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Did I Somehow Corrupt My Install?  (Read 606 times)

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Did I Somehow Corrupt My Install?
« on: December 30, 2020, 11:17:50 am »

I deleted a bunch of my old forts because I was tired of paging down through them all. I generated a new world, went to embark, and see weirdness. Seeds, for example, looks something like
Code: [Select]
                                       1 P
                                       1 P
                                       1 P
                                       1 P
chestnuts                              1 P
                                       1 P
                                       1 P
                                       1 P
                                       1 P
Wood shows various "unknown frozen plant substance logs" for several entries, Drinks would let me embark with the selections of "highwood none", several varieties of "n/a", a sampler of the ever popular "unknown plant substance" and so forth.

I've never had problems just deleting the region* files before. I've now generated 8 new worlds, and tried multiple embarks on each of them, each with a variety of weirdnesses, though it is something of a comfort to my dwarves that for Scorching embarks, they can bring along "unknown frozen plant substance vests" to help keep them cool.

I'm pretty sure all I did was delete the regions I did not intend to play again, and some have already been overwritten with other stuff, so I can't restore all of them. Time to delete the whole directory and start over? Or is there some simple fix?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 11:21:47 am by Thorfinn »

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Did I Somehow Corrupt My Install?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 01:29:32 pm »

Did you just do something like:

rm -rf data/save/region*

from the main DF directory?  Or did you do something else?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 01:45:22 pm »

No, I'm on Windows on this machine, so it's just open the save directory, highlight everything I want to get rid of, and press delete.

Only other thing I can think of that I've done differently since the last successful embark is I've used Lazy Newb Pack to launch Therapist a few times (I had been using Manipulator), and I tried out Armok Vision for the first time in my life.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 01:54:32 pm by Thorfinn »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 01:48:25 pm »

Since you're going to generate a new world anyway, I'd recommend downloading and installing from scratch.

As far as I know changing tile sets improperly can lead to corruption, as can installation of mods when they don't support the tileset (or, again, is installed incorrectly). However, unless a fresh installation results in trouble I wouldn't bother spending time on fault finding.

I suspect you somehow managed to get rid of something that should have remained, as clearing out folders in the save directory shouldn't cause trouble.

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2020, 01:57:13 pm »

OK, thanks. Figured that would be the answer.

Yeah, I was thinking about a fresh download anyway, since I had a hankering to try out that new 32x32 tileset, but I was NOT going to make a change like that while there were still games I might consider opening.

[EDIT]
I run multiple parallel installs anyway. One is absolute vanilla, no DFHack, no nothing, the next is straight Lazy Newb Pack, as downloaded, no changes, and the third is whatever trips my trigger. The one that got corrupted was the unmodified LNP install. The others still work fine.
[/EDIT]
« Last Edit: December 30, 2020, 02:06:02 pm by Thorfinn »