Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Dragon Realm Chronicles - Roc Slayer Chapter 4 - The Intrepid  (Read 39280 times)

HakuryuVision

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold.
    • View Profile
Dragon Realm Chronicles - Roc Slayer Chapter 4 - The Intrepid
« on: January 01, 2021, 02:26:23 am »

The 'Dragon Realm Chronicles' (formerly called 'The Realm of Dragons'), consists (or rather will be consisting) of several fortress and adventure mode playthroughs i plan on adapting into a webmanga, all taking place in the same world.
I'tll be very loosely based on them though, don't expect a 1:1 retelling of what happened ingame.

It is a very large world with 399 years of history, and so far my most played and favorite world.
A high megabeast count, many tweaked and new monsters and animals, and some other light modding make this story a little more different i hope. Most of these will appear over time in my various stories.

If you like what i do consider supporting me on patreon!
https://www.patreon.com/hakuryuvision?fan_landing=true

Please keep 3 things in mind;
-English is not my native language. I apologize in case i misspell words, or phrase sentences in a weird way. (do correct me though if you see any errors)
-Please read the panels and speech bubbles from right to left. (i'm calling this a webmanga for a reason.)
-I'm not a professional mangaka, and i admit i've got an extremely messy and inconsistent way of drawing. -but i still put a lot of love and hard work into it!

Without further ado:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first story ( 'Roc Slayer' ) is about my first adventurer; a human who hails from the south-western civilization of Mong Niwir, the Nation Of Winters.
I have restarted this little project of mine from the beginning, and the first two chapters i made will be treated as a sort of pilot chapters.
If you'd like to read the old version, they'll stay on my deviantart. ('Roc Slayer Chapter 1 + 2 -pilot-)

-Roc Slayer Pilot 1&2-

-Roc Slayer Prologue-

-Roc Slayer Chapter 1-

-Roc Slayer Chapter 2-

-Roc Slayer April Fools Day Chapter-

-Roc Slayer Chapter 3-

-Roc Slayer Chapter 4-
« Last Edit: August 05, 2022, 02:59:33 pm by HakuryuVision »

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Manga: The Realm Of Dragons
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2021, 03:30:32 am »

Whatever is the quality of your post I do appreciate the effort. This needs more views.
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2021, 05:07:36 am »

This is some top notch work! Great post!
I often have trouble finding the humans in-game relatable as characters and this does a really good job of fleshing out personality and bringing life to them!

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2021, 06:38:16 am »

This is positively amazing, if I may say so. A great way to start off the new year.
It is easier reading on deviantart, I think, but the pages could use links in their descriptions to the next/previous pages. And/or a new album, as putting them being in "scraps" made them somewhat hard to find.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2021, 08:51:37 am »

This is some impressive work!  Well done, hope to see more!

Ant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2021, 10:26:36 am »

Whole lot of likes, ptw!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2021, 12:03:23 pm »

This was amazing! Thank you for sharing. Something about the upbeat tone of the main character reminds me of that old comic series, Bone. You also did an amazing job expanding upon the thoughts of your characters, like when our adventurer is learning from the eagle sparring partner and you describe their process of learning to fight a winged opponent through timing and maneuver. I dunno, this comic was anything but shallow, and I really appreciated those details you added.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2021, 12:11:33 pm »

Dang, that is hella nice.

Chapter 2 when :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2021, 12:25:42 pm »

This is pretty good.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2021, 01:26:23 pm »

I feel compelled to mention how amazing that manga is. I read it in one go, and man are you inspired. I kind of hope Geno gets better equipment and more training before battling a megabeast though. Can't wait to see who he will encounter on his travels. The reindeers and the remote starting location gives a big "princess mononoke" vibe to your story.

(do you happen to have some colored references of your characters somehwere at hand, by any chance ?)

Also : to resize images, the command is

Code: [Select]
[img width=200]http:///linktopicture.png[/img]
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 01:29:11 pm by Cathar »

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2021, 06:09:45 pm »

I'm lovin it man! This is such an amazing read and I can't wait for the next chapter. I hope you keep this up! :P

Question: Why is Geño different from the rest? Is he from another human civilization or is his design just creative liberty? Also is Dacimor a female or a male?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 06:13:31 pm by Luckyowl »

HakuryuVision

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2021, 10:10:23 pm »

Thanks to all of you for your kind words!

It is easier reading on deviantart, I think, but the pages could use links in their descriptions to the next/previous pages. And/or a new album, as putting them being in "scraps" made them somewhat hard to find.

Aaah, that didn't even cross my mind!
I'll work on it in a minute, thanks a lot for letting me know!

You also did an amazing job expanding upon the thoughts of your characters, like when our adventurer is learning from the eagle sparring partner and you describe their process of learning to fight a winged opponent through timing and maneuver.

That was actually the hardest part to put into words.
I have zero experience in fighting birds IRL (big shocker, i know), but really wanted that aspect of the story to have at least some sort of logic.
-So i watched videos of actual eagles hunting their prey.

Chapter 2 when :P

I'll be ironing out a few things (image size, links, how the gallery should work on here and my DA), then draw some bonus pages about my characters designs and other stuff, and then i'll go and make a draft for chapter 2.
I'm going to reduce the amount of pages (-something i hate to do, because i love loosing myself in unimportant details when telling a story) because the first one took way too much time, and there are many other stories of adventurers and fortresses i played and want to share.
I have a newfound respect for all mangaka who can manage to put out even just 20 pages in a week -which is considered a small amount!
That is absolutely insane.

The reindeers and the remote starting location gives a big "princess mononoke" vibe to your story.

(do you happen to have some colored references of your characters somehwere at hand, by any chance ?)

Also : to resize images, the command is

Code: [Select]
[img width=200]http:///linktopicture.png[/img]

Ooh, in hindsight i should have tamed a reindeer, and made Geño an archer.
That would have made for quite the imagery! (damnit!)

I want to make something like that, yeah.
I'm working on some omake (kind of 'afterword/bonus-pages') where i show how my characters went through a few designs, and add some simple color to them as references.

And thanks for telling me! I changed the size to 600.
The images look cleaner, but the words might be a little harder to read now.
What do you think?

edit: nevermind, changed it to 700. Should be easier to read now.

Question: Why is Geño different from the rest? Is he from another human civilization or is his design just creative liberty? Also is Dacimor a female or a male?

I hit 'fully randomize' a few times on the appereance screen during character creation, and liked how it turned out.
I didn't put any thought into it (back then i didn't plan on adapting this into a webmanga).
In the next chapter i'm going to adress why Geño looks different than the others in this story.

If you're talking about Dasmir, he's a guy. The game described him as having 'long eyelashes, round eyes, a short nose, big lips, and a narrow chin', which sounded extremely feminine to me.

...so i rolled with it.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 10:31:21 pm by HakuryuVision »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2021, 04:12:01 am »

If you're talking about Dasmir, he's a guy. The game described him as having 'long eyelashes, round eyes, a short nose, big lips, and a narrow chin', which sounded extremely feminine to me.

...so i rolled with it.

TIL dwarf fortress creates comedy characters with ease :P
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2021, 07:19:48 am »

-I'm not a professional mangaka, and i admit i've got an extremely messy way of drawing.
I have a hard time believing this, because it looks like professional stuff.

Also every time I see something like this it reminds me that I should stop procrastinating about my own art stuff, but then I immediately go back to not working on it and wondering why there has been not progress.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2021, 08:22:35 am »

Also every time I see something like this it reminds me that I should stop procrastinating about my own art stuff, but then I immediately go back to not working on it and wondering why there has been not progress.

Mood.  :-[
« Last Edit: January 02, 2021, 08:51:22 am by Luckyowl »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11