Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Succession Game Planning/Recruitment Thread  (Read 13233 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Succession Game Planning/Recruitment Thread
« Reply #90 on: July 18, 2022, 03:45:45 am »

Erm... legendary gelder and legendary animal handler

Just joking - I'll take a miner capybara!

Considering capybara are on good terms with most animals, I think something from their native habitat would make sense. Maybe a duckman or some type of monkey man.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 18, 2022, 05:57:43 am »

Plump helmet man weaponsmith
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 18, 2022, 10:42:26 am »

Maybe a duckman or some type of monkey man.

Duck men are actually possible since I'm using Atkana's Savage Domestics (animal person variants only).
Edit. Looks like they haven't joined any playable civ, so no duck men unfortunately. :( Gray Langur Men would be possible, though.

Plump helmet man weaponsmith

Looks like plump helmet men are available in this world. Do you want to be dorfed as the weaponsmith?

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 18, 2022, 10:54:16 am »

Yeah, will be nice to show the power of the plump helmets. Plump me in
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 18, 2022, 08:06:15 pm »

may I have a capy nicknamed Quandale (gender does not matter) and proficient in the art of both masonry AND carpentry? Quandale will make his / her name as the producer of exquisitely carved, capybara-sized furniture.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 19, 2022, 05:23:24 am »

may I have a capy nicknamed Quandale (gender does not matter) and proficient in the art of both masonry AND carpentry? Quandale will make his / her name as the producer of exquisitely carved, capybara-sized furniture.

Consider it done!

xkcd1963

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 19, 2022, 08:37:23 am »

Floating an idea for a succession game - the Fortress of Ages.

The goal of the game would be to create the longest-lived succession fort ever. Nicknames would be used to keep track of dwarven lineages, to give the fortress some flavor. We could also aim to make the fort aesthetically pleasing, but that's a secondary concern. The main idea would be to document the history of the fortress over a long period of time.

Some potential rules:
-Players have the fort for 2-3 weeks. In this time, they can play as much as they like.
-Players must keep track of dwarven lineages through renaming all dwarves of a family that they can see. The name of each lineage will be the name of the first male in the lineage with the suffix of sson. For example, Urist Uristsson.
-Players must also keep track of births, deaths and immigration during their turns so that they can be graphed. Keeping track of the total wealth of the fortress will also be graphed, so post the state of the fort's supplies at the end of your turn.
-The game will be modded to increase fps and fix bugs. Other than that, no modding, with the exception of adding training-related tags to captured animals.
-If the fort falls during your turn, your turn is considered non-cannon. This also applies if the save is corrupted.
-How you describe your turn is up to you. However, major events (sieges, selection of nobles, big architectural projects) should be described.
-Try to keep the fort clean and orderly. Remember to build more than you need; other players might appreciate the extra workshops, rooms, or supplies. Use the note-taking system so later players don't get confused and accidentally flood the fort with magma while trying to open the gates.

What'ya think? Too ambitious?

All the succession games these days seem to be using mods like masterwork, etc. Is anyone still playing the vanilla game? I'd join a new succession fort using vanilla. Preferably with some kind of challenging or hopeless embark.

We are currently running a community vanilla fort: Fortress of Friendlytreason its a big fortress map though. We are within 30 years already so I guess the idea is to have a long-lived succession game. There is already a very old succession fort from 2008 (0.28.181.40d I believe) that still goes on but I did not participate so far and can't remember the name right now.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 08:47:49 am by xkcd1963 »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 19, 2022, 11:57:06 am »

careful, those replies were sent to people who posted 8 years ago XD -  this really was quite the necro Brewer.

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 19, 2022, 12:29:52 pm »

careful, those replies were sent to people who posted 8 years ago XD -  this really was quite the necro Brewer.

Hey, it's not my fault if people don't check the timestamps of the messages they're replying to.  ;)

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 20, 2022, 03:32:07 pm »

Those that are One with the Land

Our people have long held a connection to this land. We are part of it just as it is a part of us. All creatures of this land bear a right to life as they are called to live it, and we must never take more than is needed. In this way we maintain Oneness.

Fort idea:
Hunter-gatherer fortress
You can not farm at all
You rely on hunting and gathering
Your food and drink stocks can never exceed 2x the actual population of the fort
Resources can only be mined so far as they planned to be used. This includes stone.
There can never be an excessive amount of trade goods in the fort otherwise we are building wealth and falling out of balance
If food stocks become drastically low we can delve into the caverns
Buildings are allowed, but not walls or traps
Metalworking IS allowed, but reaching metal may be difficult because of the no waste rule

You can then pick a biome that is more or less difficult for the goal.
In, fact you could make it a succession fort series moving to more and more difficult biomes as our dwarves thoroughly conquer the region they are in and have to pursue places where "balance" is more achievable for such great hunters

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 20, 2022, 07:21:20 pm »

This sounds like a very fun community fort to read about, but heavy rules don't go well on succession. The end part was perhaps most interesting - a succession game of independent forts. Each player sharing their experiences of the hunting lifestyle.

If it was all in the same world, the next overseers would end up with some legendary hunters pretty quick.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 20, 2022, 11:24:35 pm »

Your food and drink stocks can never exceed 2x the actual population of the fort

damn. that's a good rule. kind of micro-managery, except.. I can think of an idea to solve that. you can only have ONE food stockpile, and it is somewhat monitored in that. Any excess food must be put in another pile. with a constantly moving minecart to a atom smasher. That would save on work and , while kind of silly if you think about it, be somewhat roleplay-able. somwhat.

Resources can only be mined so far as they planned to be used. This includes stone.
sure... this will never be followed lol. community fortresses, like delphonso said, are best with max 3 or 4 hard rules that aren't too painful to play around.

You can then pick a biome that is more or less difficult for the goal.
In, fact you could make it a succession fort series moving to more and more difficult biomes as our dwarves thoroughly conquer the region they are in and have to pursue places where "balance" is more achievable for such great hunters

I have always dreamt of, imo, the perfect expansion to DF. it is not in the works, really, but the idea is somewhat like adventure mode x DF mode x Oregon trail. Constant travel through the world, from biome to biome, trying to farm during the spring and build wagons to carry what you can during the summer and fall traveling.

So your idea is pretty much that, but without the game facilitating the movement. it would need to be simulated by player setup, which is fine  -  we're all used to those kinds of caveats at this point. You can even simulate the gathering and transporting of goods by letting players assemble these things before abandoning the fortress, and then re-instating them via the embark menu with modded point cap.

What exactly is the 'win condition', to decide when to push to a new embark? Maybe a time limit, or having certain number of skilled workers in each category, or. . hmm.

nice. it would be great for solo journaling, in all honesty, since you can then hold yourself accountable to the rules.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 22, 2022, 06:49:23 am »

Yeah true on the rules. I was just thinking the easiest way to break the challenge is to make a stupid amount of rock crafts and then just buy anything you're short on

And I like the atom smasher idea. Because you want the challenge, but constantly queing up new stuff is annoying. Unless you assigned a manager and set up a job "brew 50 drinks from plants when number reaches 10" or something. I think if the game started the first person to play, presumably me, would wanna set that up by the end of the first turn to save some headaches

I think legendary hunters immigrating could be acceptable though. If your next biome is a scorching desert or haunted tundra the new challenges that come with already kind of mitigate their skill. Or if you embark underground where half of the creatures are giant monsters anyway and you're more worried about forgotten beasts

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 09, 2022, 03:10:00 pm »

Just me putting more random ideas out:

The DND adventure mode succession game(inspired in part by sunken citadel thread, stalkmatches, the museum and Pathfinder: Kingmaker)

The initial goal of the game is for the party to become rulers of a region either through inheriting rulership from another civilization or through conquest, and finalized by the absorbing of all settlements therein.

Each player gets an adventurer that contributes to our party and we take turns weekly with the rest of the party just being under the next player's control

Eventually we pick a player to be leader and ruler

If it stays fun then players can break up and take their own lands or bring peace to regions, etc or we can stick with our one kingdom we had a good time with and expand it, bring further peace, etc
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]