Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: PSA: dont rob graves  (Read 1473 times)

slave of amok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
PSA: dont rob graves
« on: January 01, 2021, 12:34:29 pm »

You wouldnt steal wagons? you wouldnt smoke rat weed? you wouldnt rob the dead? DONT rob the dead! so, after my adventures in defini alino, the maximum funlands, i decided to make a polar oppisite world. where goblins and undead wherent maxed out but compleetly removed. no megabeasts or titans, nor werebeasts or vampires. just one small boring island with small boring people. however, things took a turn. i decided to strike the earth on a nice little forrest aquifer that i wanted to dig through. i did not succeed, so i made the spot a well and build a nice, big wooden fort around it, the entire site was cleared of trees, yet no huffy elves arived. so, i decided to take a look at the chiv tab. as it turned out, most of the map was conquered by a human nation called *the union of shielding*. appearently it was a democracy since it had a bunch of counselors yet no king or other such royalty. who knew a people so boring could be so strange? in any case, the other chivs seemed to be having a hard time under this rule. the two dwarven outposts abandoned their ties and moved south-west, far away from the others. the elves where conquered and only had a couple of squater hold outs in former human settlements. there where crypts and abandoned monastery`s everywhere, some populated by an unknown people. and then there where... kobolds. lots of them! they had appearently conquered one of the said monastery`s and had two caves connecting them to the mainland from a small island. and with their thieves consistently getting ate by my cattle, i decided to take action. i trained up a militia to go searching the ruins and crypts for iron weapons or armor. all they found where dusty tomes and pocket lint, so i armed them with wooden shields, leather armor and axes made of molten scrap, only to send them on their merry way to conquer the kobolds cavernous keep. and they succeeded! i celibrated by taking the inhabited crypts just to see what beastman or vermin ruled them. all quads returned with oaths of fielty... all but one. time passes within the keeps creaking walls. songs where sung and wine flowed as a pale dwarf storms the door and screams the words: the dead walk, hide while you still can! i sounded the bells, closed the gates and manned the walls. yet size nor valor could stand against what marched upon us. 184 corpses, 162 still remain today. they gathered at the eastern wall and where pierced by what few guards where there to man them. it did not matter much. the walls had overgrown by a spitefull forrest and the carrion host climbed its trunks up and up untill they could grasp at the thieving dwarves. pulling them into the mud. the creaking hallls where filled with screams as the trees were watered with blood. the mayor, the last to live, trapped himself in the highest tower, into a lead cage used for criminals. a fitting end... so yea appearently undead can spawn even without evil dust or necromancers. just steal some amatur poetry from a dusty corpse and the bone-zone will arive soon enough. imgur is being weird about the screen shots, though there wherent that many anyway  :-\

HakuryuVision

• Bay Watcher
  • Cold.
    • View Profile
Re: PSA: dont rob graves
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 12:26:49 am »

...that's actually pretty interesting to know!
If you could provide screenshots, someone might even update the dwarf fortress wikia.

This is some good accidental [science!].

slave of amok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2021, 06:09:17 am »

alright! it was a pain to get imgur to work but heres some screenshots! https://imgur.com/a/XEb4vrD i had to reclaim my old fort as it was wiped, seems the undead have moved on though, the bodies and clothing are still here and i can request workers from the places i previously conquered. im playing without mods. also i was lucky enough that the human chiv didnt change into a monarchy again, im thinking this is a pretty rare screenshot :D anyway, i realy hope that this helps the wiki, and if you guys need any more screenshots feel free to ask!

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 05:36:28 pm »

Leaders buried in crypts occasionally become mummies, which when disturbed by grave-robbers don't go back to sleep. Essentially, your dwarves woke up a necromancer who then resurrected all of his servants that were buried with him into an army just to exact revenge.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.