Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Antman Colony?  (Read 1258 times)

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Antman Colony?
« on: January 02, 2021, 09:24:28 pm »

Hey there guys, I am thinking of trying my hand for the first time in modding and have an idea for a mod about Antmen. But since I have never done this before, I just wanted to know from the more experienced modders if what I am thinking of doing is even doable (if so, I'll look up how to do it. If not, at least I know not to waste my time trying this one. And if maybe, I can experiment on it and bring back my findings to you).

What I plan on attempting, regarding the Creatures themselves:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Regarding their Civilization:

This is what I want to do for starters. But again, I've never modded before so I am not sure most of this is even possible. I will research it, but if any good hearted veteran Modder would be so kind as to tell me if any of this is impossible in the game, I'd be thankful!

Either way, will keep you updated as I go along. I'll do so very slowly because I am pretty busy with IRL obligations, but I want to do this to relax on my down time :)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 12:21:39 pm by VABritto »

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Antman Colony?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 12:01:24 pm »

Hey folks, it's me again. I was wondering, how does one check for the reason why your files are not being loaded? I made a Creature (that I called myrmidon so not to edit the ant_man creature) and made an entity for it. But when I try it out, it doesn't appear in the world_history nor as a population in the world_sites_and_pops files. But I also can't really say why it isn't working. I read that the game will not read a file if it is invalid, but how can I tell if it is or not?

This is the creature I made (I copied a lot from dwarves, just to get it started) :

And here is the entity I created:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 12:16:36 pm by VABritto »

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 01:18:59 pm »

Hold ctrl+f while surfing web pages for searching words or they're fragments.

As far as I know you can't mod the speed at which they get hungry or thirsty.

[DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:DARK_PITS] Put it into entity token.

You should study raw files in wiki articles of creatures more.

Tokens of creatures: https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Creature_token
Tokens of civs (entities): https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Entity_token

[MAXAGE:30:50] Upon reaching age of 30 she should have a chance per tick for instakill. Reaching 50 guarantees death.

You really should check raw file of dwarfs. Toady writes in there how to make differences between genders. You an give different maxages determined by genders.

Don't give them [MUNDANE] They don't exist. Future Dwarf Fortress will have "real life" mode. All creatures with [MUNDANE] will not be deleted from existence.

About modding ethics:

https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Ethic
« Last Edit: January 06, 2021, 01:49:42 pm by rico6822 »
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 01:56:27 pm »

Hold ctrl+f while surfing web pages for searching words or they're fragments.

As far as I know you can't mod the speed at which they get hungry or thirsty.

[DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:DARK_PITS] Put it into entity token.

You should study raw files in wiki articles of creatures more.

Tokens of creatures: https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Creature_token
Tokens of civs (entities): https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Entity_token

[MAXAGE:30:50] Upon reaching age of 30 she should have a chance per tick for instakill. Reaching 50 guarantees death.

You really should check raw file of dwarfs. Toady writes in there how to make differences between genders. You an give different maxages determined by genders.

Don't give them [MUNDANE] They don't exist. Future Dwarf Fortress will have "real life" mode. All creatures with [MUNDANE] will not be deleted from existence.

About modding ethics:

https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Ethic

Thanks mate! I've been looking those things up, pretty detailed stuff! If I can manage to make it work, it'll be grand. As of now it isn't running for some reason.

Regarding MAXAGE, I've tried to put a Max Age to each caste, so that each of them would die at a certain age interval. I hope that works.

One thing that has been rather elusive to me is regarding reproduction rate. I can't seem to find how to make it so a queen has a large yield of babies per year. But I'm searching for it.

Thanks for the suggestion of using [DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:DARK_PITS], I was using DETAILED_CAVES, but DARK_PITS does seem like it makes more sense, thanks!

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 02:43:55 pm »

It seems that the problem was reproduction! I managed to make them lay eggs so now they reproduce properly and are in the game! I tested it in a pocket world and it yielded a surprisingly large amount of Empresses (I made it so the Queens live from 800 to 1000 years, so I didn't imagine there would be so many). So now I am making a regular sized world to see if this behaviour continues, and if so, if they are being murdered or dying of old age too soon. Not sure yet if the maxage properly varies between Castes yet.

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 03:25:08 pm »

I noticed whenever I try to put the default site as DARK_FORTRESS, the game crashes when trying to put the civs. Is this a known bug? It only works if I remove the DARK_FORTRESS tag and put something else.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 04:50:28 pm »

I noticed whenever I try to put the default site as DARK_FORTRESS, the game crashes when trying to put the civs. Is this a known bug? It only works if I remove the DARK_FORTRESS tag and put something else.

Problem with this version, generated demon leaders (which will technically usurp the empress) conduct experiments and the civ can't live apart from these so wont generate if the experiments are turned off, along with lots of other finnicky things.

VABritto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2021, 07:43:17 pm »

That makes a lot of sense! I changed it and it is working.

My main problem now is that my Ant Queens don't seem to ever mate with drones.  No matter what I do they always die single... I tried to put [PERSONALITY:START_A_FAMILY:100:100:100] and [PERSONALITY:LUST_PROPENSITY:100:100:100] to both Queen and Drone just to see if that influences anything, but it doesn't seem to change the problem.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2021, 08:42:11 pm by VABritto »