Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Expanding Suicide Methods  (Read 2237 times)

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
Expanding Suicide Methods
« on: January 05, 2021, 03:45:42 am »

I believe Dwarfs unable to drown themselves shouldn't just starve to death. You know, there is something like poisoning or cutting own throat.

I actually wander how would it look like if the player had an option to cut himself. That would be more realistic than just starving in the jungle. Experienced survivalists rather won't starve like that. Does it mean there should be a button for retiring in wilderness? Does it mean players should be allowed to starve in sites? It would be cool if a retired player character that didn't make a cabin (meadhall) for themselves by themselves just died to bogeymen. It would be even cooler if top skilled and equipped adventurers that weren't surprised in they're sleep actually killed them in legends mode.

Hilarious bugs to avoid: Dying in the dark in mountains. Bogeymen dislike mountains. Dying in the dark at all in a world with them set to 0.
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Expanding Suicide Methods
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 04:14:29 am »

I have kinda mixed feelings about the first part, not sure how Toady would feel if DF was known for having way too many ways dwarves can commit suicide.

The second part, about adventurers being able to target themselves with attacks has come up before and i do think that would really make it easier for the player to for instance spread vampirism by offering mugs of their own blood without having to get into a risky fight. Or amputate infected limbs. It would also be nice on that note to be able to ask companions to let you amputate infected limbs for them without starting a fight and scaring them off/having to kill them. If they trust you enough. Probably a medicine rewrite thing tho.

The last part, retiring/starving to death could use some work, like maybe the option to retire even in the wilderness, and they'll go to the nearest inhabited site or a ruined site if there are no inhabited sites left in the world or making their own empty style bandit camp if its one of those bizarre worlds that never had civs. If you really want them to die, there are dozens of ways to quickly off yourself, like picking a lethal fight with the wildlife while naked and just lying down and letting them eat you. Or setting the grass on fire and standing in it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 04:16:14 am »

I have kinda mixed feelings about the first part, not sure how Toady would feel if DF was known for having way too many ways dwarves can commit suicide.

The second part, about adventurers being able to target themselves with attacks has come up before and i do think that would really make it easier for the player to for instance spread vampirism by offering mugs of their own blood without having to get into a risky fight. Or amputate infected limbs. It would also be nice on that note to be able to ask companions to let you amputate infected limbs for them without starting a fight and scaring them off/having to kill them. If they trust you enough. Probably a medicine rewrite thing tho.

The last part, retiring/starving to death could use some work, like maybe the option to retire even in the wilderness, and they'll go to the nearest inhabited site or a ruined site if there are no inhabited sites left in the world or making their own empty style bandit camp if its one of those bizarre worlds that never had civs. If you really want them to die, there are dozens of ways to quickly off yourself, like picking a lethal fight with the wildlife while naked and just lying down and letting them eat you. Or setting the grass on fire and standing in it.

I know, that's why I'm laughting.
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 04:17:35 am »

wait about which part
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 09:44:29 am »

wait about which part

I'm laughting about what I wrote.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 04:11:40 pm »

And what about being more reckless than usual? For exemple, he might be more eager to go fight a bronze colossus, hoping to die in the process. It might be specifically used by soldiers and guards.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 03:00:35 am »

And what about being more reckless than usual? For exemple, he might be more eager to go fight a bronze colossus, hoping to die in the process. It might be specifically used by soldiers and guards.

Cool!

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 10:40:01 pm »

Why not? Currently DF known for merpeople farming, generated terrors and other fun, more suicide diversity shall fit this atmosphere.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2021, 09:08:39 am »

Why not? Currently DF known for merpeople farming, generated terrors and other fun, more suicide diversity shall fit this atmosphere.

You know merpeople farming was discouraged, right? It's not something Toady decided to implement as a feature.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2021, 09:16:45 am »

You know merpeople farming was discouraged, right? It's not something Toady decided to implement as a feature.

He discouraged it because it was giving too much wealth.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2021, 10:15:41 am »

Maybe instead of just "being driven to suicide", self-preservation could be retained as a value.  As a unit became more depressed, they would gradually grow more reckless and more oblivious to dangers in their surroundings.  The world of Dwarf Fortress being what it is, the chances of getting killed by random threats would go up.  (This would also offset the benefits of hardening your entire fortress by exposing them to horror and tragedy.)

This would also increase the likelihood of joining an adventurer.  I always found it weird that professional soldiers will join any random outsider who promises to lead them "to glory and death", even if it is moderated by their adventurousness.  Only people who are basically tired of life should join someone who invites them to wander the wilds without any particular purpose and without proving themselves first.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2021, 04:39:37 am »

He discouraged it because it was giving too much wealth.

He discouraged it because it was a horrible thing to incentivize.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2021, 05:32:28 am »

Maybe instead of just "being driven to suicide", self-preservation could be retained as a value.  As a unit became more depressed, they would gradually grow more reckless and more oblivious to dangers in their surroundings.  The world of Dwarf Fortress being what it is, the chances of getting killed by random threats would go up.  (This would also offset the benefits of hardening your entire fortress by exposing them to horror and tragedy.)

This would also increase the likelihood of joining an adventurer.  I always found it weird that professional soldiers will join any random outsider who promises to lead them "to glory and death", even if it is moderated by their adventurousness.  Only people who are basically tired of life should join someone who invites them to wander the wilds without any particular purpose and without proving themselves first.

This sound like a good idea!
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2021, 06:41:27 am »

That's dumb.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2021, 05:11:33 pm »

That's dumb.
That's the decision of the one person who makes this entire game who happens to be the owner of the forum on which you're insulting him...
Pages: [1] 2