Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Expanding Suicide Methods  (Read 2245 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Expanding Suicide Methods
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2021, 06:22:15 pm »

He discouraged it because it was a horrible thing to incentivize.
That's dumb.

When your continued health and livelihood is somewhat reliant on donations for a hilariously niche game--and it was way less popular then than now--you might get spooked at being known as "that game with genocide for profit by selling bones".

Consider also that if the value involved were OP, then prepared meals would've been nerfed long ago.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2021, 08:00:11 pm »

When your continued health and livelihood is somewhat reliant on donations for a hilariously niche game--and it was way less popular then than now--you might get spooked at being known as "that game with genocide for profit by selling bones".
I personally wouldn't, but I suppose I can see the argument that, at the time, it was much less obvious than it is now that lots of people explicitly want their games to be full of genocide.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2021, 10:04:54 pm »

Consider also that if the value involved were OP, then prepared meals would've been nerfed long ago.

I doubt it was an economic decision.  Toady made cats have all kinds of special rules because he's a cat lover, and he kind of hates how people make jokes about killing cats.  It's nothing to do with business, it's just his personal values.  Toady took away mermaid bone value when he saw Sphalerite just talk about going out of their way to kill them, but when Sphalerite then went and actually made a sea serpent harpooning chamber (whose bones are 40% as valuable as mermaids), he didn't do a thing, because he didn't care about sea serpent genocide the way he would for a part-humanoid creature he could sympathize with being farmed for industrialized baby murder.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 [2]