Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: Think Twice: Newbie Mafia Game End- Town Victory  (Read 11405 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Think Twice: Newbie Mafia Game End- Town Victory
« on: January 05, 2021, 06:27:01 pm »

Will you Think Twice, or will the thieves get away? Newbie Mafia!

In Play
Webadict[Head of Computer Assistance][Mamobo Programmer][IC][Goon turned Flagbearer]
Vector[Janitorial Head][IC]
Luckyowl[Semi-new Player]
Rose[New Player][Dropped][Godfather]
Secretdorf[New Player]

Spoiler: Original (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 12:47:23 pm by TricMagic »

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
Re: Press F11: Newbie Mafia- 0/9 Signed up.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 06:51:40 pm »

IN

Why not?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 07:14:46 pm »

Is the plan to have ICs?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 07:17:28 pm »

ICs being? If it's chats, I will have them for mafia and the mod/advisors.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 07:19:19 pm »

ICs being?
Inexperience Challenged.  In Beginner Mafia games there were traditionally two playing ICs (veteran players who had duel role of playing the game and providing instruction and general, unbiased advice) who could be of any alignment and one non-playing scum IC who had access to the scumchat and whose job it was to specifically advise the scumteam.

From a practical standpoint, I doubt we'll be able to get a game with nine new-ish players.  It's kinda why the BM series ended three years ago, we just couldn't get enough actually new players to fill them out.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 07:24:00 pm »

ICs being?
Inexperience Challenged.  In Beginner Mafia games there were traditionally two playing ICs (veteran players who had duel role of playing the game and providing instruction and general, unbiased advice) who could be of any alignment and one non-playing scum IC who had access to the scumchat and whose job it was to specifically advise the scumteam.

From a practical standpoint, I doubt we'll be able to get a game with nine new-ish players.  It's kinda why the BM series ended three years ago, we just couldn't get enough actually new players to fill them out.
That is a good point. I saw that people were considering something with more power roles, in the hopes that players were more excited by it, and we could get more people. I was intrigued by Fallacy's Almost Vanilla setup, and I'm currently seeing if there's a way to make a balanced generator for it.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 07:32:14 pm »

So basically, we don't have enough players to run multiple games at the same time at this point. If you want to run a mafia game, see if people are interested in the Games Threshold Discussion thread first, before putting a thread up?

If you manage to pull in nine entirely new players, I'd be utterly astounded and pleased, but as that's unlikely, it's better to have a game that's open to both new and old players and designed to accommodate both of them - using an interesting but still comprehensible setup.

Both roseheart and I made reservations in the Threshold channel before you put this thread up, as well. I appreciate your enthusiasm in deciding to mod a mafia game, but keep in mind the context we're in.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2021, 08:01:20 pm »

So basically, we don't have enough players to run multiple games at the same time at this point. If you want to run a mafia game, see if people are interested in the Games Threshold Discussion thread first, before putting a thread up?

If you manage to pull in nine entirely new players, I'd be utterly astounded and pleased, but as that's unlikely, it's better to have a game that's open to both new and old players and designed to accommodate both of them - using an interesting but still comprehensible setup.

Both roseheart and I made reservations in the Threshold channel before you put this thread up, as well. I appreciate your enthusiasm in deciding to mod a mafia game, but keep in mind the context we're in.
I agree with this in spirit, but I actually think we might have enough to run an additional smaller game consisting of 5 or 7 players in addition to a bigger game. Heck, even something like a 3-player game setup might be a good idea, especially if we want to try and get players to stay. All of these are good Day games too, so maybe we could have some more things like a Vengeful or a Super Saint variant? It might even entice more players, because right now a new player might want to see a game in sign-ups somewhere?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2021, 08:10:36 pm »

I agree with Wubba and FoU and TricMagic. The game threshold list is mostly meant to manage the supply of games in order to meet the current demand of (experienced) players. It is definitely considered polite to talk about whether the subforum can handle another game at the moment or not. But also, running BMs is more like . . . a public service which has to happen as part of having a healthy subforum.

Reality is that we're not likely to be able to make too many big games with gorgeous plays right now. But we should be able to do some small ones.

Anyway: I might in as scum IC at some point, but I will wait to make that commitment until we have players and I know when this is gonna launch.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2021, 08:47:14 pm »

So I've been on this forum for 11 years and never actually played a mafia game. I'll join.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2021, 08:55:20 pm »

holy shit I might have to actually go DL DF
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2021, 09:16:10 pm »

If you need an IC, I'll join.

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2021, 11:06:50 pm »

IN

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Press F11: Newbie Mafia- 3/9 Signed up.
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2021, 08:40:22 am »

Perhaps, though was hoping to get 9 new players. (Hope springs eternal) I'll keep you in mind if we get to that point.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Press F11: Newbie Mafia- 3/9 Signed up.
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2021, 09:35:23 am »

Perhaps, though was hoping to get 9 new players. (Hope springs eternal) I'll keep you in mind if we get to that point.
I definitely think having 2 ICs is a good way to incorporate effective game-playing to new players, since they can have someone to emulate for the beginning of the game. That's my recommendation.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11