Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Think Twice: Newbie Mafia Game End- Town Victory  (Read 11450 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Think Twice: Newbie Mafia Day 1-[Not, please wait for Vectoring]
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2021, 11:57:43 am »

Yeah, I don't have time for at least a week.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2021, 12:08:48 pm »

Well, I'll just wait for an IC to show up or for that to happen. Sorry for the false start everyone.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2021, 01:04:29 pm »

Whelp.

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2021, 02:28:53 am »

Well we can wait. I am a townie by the way. :D
« Last Edit: January 12, 2021, 08:31:46 am by Secretdorf »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2021, 10:26:09 am »

Yeah, I'll !in as soon as I catch up on my coursework/chore backlog from last week.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2021, 11:49:04 am »

A likely story. Nice edit, by the way.

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2021, 12:14:03 pm »

:-X  Will PMs between players be allowed?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2021, 12:23:19 pm »

No, that isn't apart of mafia barring roles that allow that. And even then GM has to be part of it. Got something to say, say it here.

And remember, no editing once the game starts.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • https://imgur.com/a/Bjjtz.png
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2021, 03:49:08 pm »

Alright. There's three of us and one of us is the data thief. I know I'm not the one who stole it. So there's a 50/50 chance for me to catch the thief.

Well that's game. Rose got anything to say?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2021, 04:09:09 pm »

Alright. There's three of us and one of us is the data thief. I know I'm not the one who stole it. So there's a 50/50 chance for me to catch the thief.

Well that's game. Rose got anything to say?
Yeah, I'm not the thief either, which means one of you is lying.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2021, 04:13:01 pm »

Well this is gonna be interesting.

Secretdorf: Why blurt out that you're townie? Are you aware how suspicious that seems?

Rose: who do you think is the most scummiest one between me and Secretdorf and why?

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2021, 04:51:46 pm »

Rose is in my scumlist. Secretdorf's opening gives off an earnest claim where as rose post above felt reactive and fake. But prove me wrong. This game requires for all of us to talk so defend yourself.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2021, 05:42:14 pm »

I was mostly reacting because I didn't realize that we'd be starting already.

Secretdorf: Honestly I don't trust the way you started straight out with proclaiming your innocence like that, but tbh, I put it down to naivety rather than guilt.

Luckyowl: You seem a little too confident in this, which I don't trust al all. Right now you're my prime suspect.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2021, 05:54:26 pm »

Alright, since we're not waiting for Vector, here's the deal: I'm going to tell you how to play. Everything I say in the top half of my posts is going to be in my "I can't lie" voice. That means I cannot play the game up here, above the horizontal line. If my post has no horizontal line, feel free to distrust everything about it.

At it's core, Mafia is a game about truths and lies. There are two players that know each other is Mafia, and three players that do not know each other is Town.

The Mafia know that the Town are Town, though, so this makes them an "Informed Minority". This allows them to use that information against everyone else. They must lie to the Town about what they know, inherently. It is a game of making truth from lies, and of getting the players to believe that you are Town. That is your goal as Mafia.

The Town do not know who the other Town are. They are the "Uninformed Majority". This means that they are unable to inherently trust the words of all the other players, since their knowledge of who they can and cannot trust is limited to what they can discern from a player. It is a game of finding truth, and of getting the players to believe that you are Town. That is your goal as Town.

Notice that these two goals are similar, in a way, but that does not make them the same. Both teams have allies, but only one can fully discern them.

And now onto the game.

This game has a bit of a unique twist to it. There are actually two routes we can go down. We can cement the trust of someone we wish to know to be Town (which may be useful towards the more experienced players), or we can test the alignment of another player (which may more likely find scum).

Luckyowl, Rose, and Secretdorf: Which of these routes more interests you, and why?

Vector: Take your time joining us. I won't be asking you questions while you're not here simply because it would be silly to give you homework.

Feel free to ask me questions. While this is technically my rodeo, but I want you to remember that the only words you can truly trust from me are above that fancy line in my post. I'm going to be acting more as a coach here, and correct any bad behavior or act as a model for you three.

Something such as this:
Rose is in my scumlist. Secretdorf's opening gives off an earnest claim where as rose post above felt reactive and fake. But prove me wrong. This game requires for all of us to talk so defend yourself.
Luckyowl, if I had said, "Darn, and I was mafia, too.", what would you be thinking then? What exactly stands out in that post that lets you believe Secretdorf? Which part was reactive and fake about Rose? Remember that while you're giving some defense here, your goal is also to get other people to believe you.

Luckyowl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2021, 06:00:41 pm »

Luckyowl: You seem a little too confident in this, which I don't trust al all. Right now you're my prime suspect.

I know I'm townie, so if I stay quiet like most of my previous mafia games then the mafia will win. So I have to ditch my crazy eye play and actually play the game by the book. I'm quite curious, do you find "I'm townie"  claim from Secretdorf less suspicious? Do you think me trying to find the thief to be out of play and scummy?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11