Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A vile force of darkness has arrived! But from where?  (Read 1404 times)

McOrigin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A vile force of darkness has arrived! But from where?
« on: January 09, 2021, 03:34:01 pm »

Recently I got a decent siege. "A vile force of darkness.." but only dwarves. I am pretty sure some posts here mentioned where their sieges came from.
Is there any ingame mechanic I am missing? I can't find anything on the civilization screen, looking for the rumors. Should i just look up the named dwarven siegers in legends mode?
I would even use DF Hack to deliver my revenge to the correct enemy.. they killed my hunter.

[EDIT]
Several of the looted breastplates show a symbol of a goblins civilization. Mystery solved?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2021, 04:00:49 pm by McOrigin »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A vile force of darkness has arrived! But from where?
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 04:44:17 pm »

I believe if you were to save your game and use Legends mode to access the history of your fort, you will find a record of the attack with the civilization and group of the siegers.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 06:08:34 pm »

My prediction is that the dwarves were all children the goblins adopted/stole and brought up as goblins. But happy for you to prove me wrong.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 05:15:21 am »

"A vile force of darkness" means it's a goblin civ attack. This attack comes from the goblin civ that was the one that caused goblins to be marked as neighbors pre embark, and is the one that is shown on the civ/civ screen (it appear there after the first attack).
This explanation was the only one before raiding was implemented. Since then, if you've raided another goblin civ they can attack as well (but, again, should be present on the civ/civ screen after the attack has been announced).

And I agree with the previous poster that the dwarves should be members of the goblin civ who have been snatched or conquered by goblins (themselves or their parents).

McOrigin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 05:41:17 am »

Yes, all true. And thanks to the breastplate decorations, which I never before realized, I know the civilizaton. But is there any way to know from which site they were sent to me?

I do see some armies marched from A to B in the civ screen, but nine close to me.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2021, 08:19:46 am »

Unfortunately the site they were sent to is not displayed anywhere. Legends Mode info (directly as well as exported) contains the info, as does the some of the "armies" in the guts of DF (it's possible to make a DFHack script that extracts this info).

Toady has said that when a civ has decided to send an army it determines a random site out of those eligible to send armies to your fortress as a staging point. At the time of that answer the probability was flat (i.e. the chance of selecting a 100 pop site was the same as selecting the 20000 pop dark fortress), but he stated that it would be better if it was weighted, but I don't think it's known if such a change has been made.

I don't think the civ screen shows the armies attacking the player fortress as a "rumor", but it certainly would make sense if that info was provided.

McOrigin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 09:14:41 am »

Thank you very much!