Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Caravan Access to Goods  (Read 383 times)

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Caravan Access to Goods
« on: January 14, 2021, 03:23:58 pm »

I understand that (dwarven) caravans will tailor what they bring based on what's available to the civilization; if they don't have access to iron ores, they won't bring iron products, although they will still bring pig iron and steel for some reason.
My questions are-
A) Does this also apply to plants and animals? IE, if a civilization has access to sun berries, will it bring sun berries, seeds, and sunshine with the caravan?
B) Can this change with user-created forts? IE, if my civilization does not have access to sun berries, I found a fortress which does have sun berries, and then retire that fort and found a new fortress in the same civilization, will the new caravans carry sun berries/seeds/sunshine?
C) Can I domesticate animals for the caravan? In my current fortress, I've pretty well tamed dralthas and elk birds, so if I found a new fortress in this civ, can caravans bring domesticated dralthas and elk birds?
I suspect that's NO for all, but would appreciate some confirmation either way.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
Re: Caravan Access to Goods
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 03:51:16 pm »

What resources are available for emabrk/trade is determined during world and for the time being it can't change during play.

A) Animals, plants and base metals are tied to their respective biomes/areas. So in order for them to be available, your civ has to settle in their respective areas during world gen. However certain civs can't use all of the resources that are available in those areas. What they can and can't use is defined (for each civ) in their raw files.

B) No. It might change in the future but for now the forts founded by the player don't alter the available resources.

C) Same as B. However I think there was a mod for that.

edit: The mod for domesticating animals. I haven't used it myself so I'm not sure if it works well.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 03:57:42 pm by Ulfarr »
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

darthbob88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caravan Access to Goods
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 04:21:48 pm »

That's what I figured, but thanks for verifying.