Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: My second goblin siege... includes CLOWNS!?  (Read 3034 times)

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My second goblin siege... includes CLOWNS!?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2021, 04:22:46 am »

Both sites seem relatively low in population, with around 50 sapients each.
Side note here, if you see this number when inspecting a site in dwarf mode, it's actually quite misleading. That's the amount of historical figures in the site; a unit in a worldgen site doesn't become a historical figure until they do something actually important (like fighting one of your dwarves, all of whom are already historical figures by being in your fort), so it's possible that attacking a site with "~20 historical figures" causes that number to go up to 100, right after the fight. Which you would quite possibly lose, because the additional 80 histfigs are trolls.

I have found this out the hard way.

But that only applies to the c-screen in dwarf mode. If you get this information from dfhack or something it's probably accurate.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

towerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Cloven Asunder
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2021, 03:37:35 pm »

Final update, probably: it's a stalemate. I have razed all but one site they are in (well, not completely razed, for some reasons they have a pop of 1), and now the last city of the civ, which is apparently where the demons come from (it was a fortress that had fun), is the target. But for some reasons, when I stormed it with all my elites, a great amount of demons were slain (no less than 22), many historical figures died, and many titles were gained... but the fortress didn't lose its population. The king is surrounded, but I can't actually go for checkmate.

However, it's a stalemate, not a defeat. Why? Because due to the fact the civ is tiny now, they aren't numerous enough to send goblin raids. This means that, until I get bored and attack another gob civ for shits and giggles, I'm completely siege-free. Guess I'll have the time to continue my megaproject... if all those armok-damned hungry heads let my dwarves alone. I swear, if the demons in DF played their own version of DF (named Demon Fortress of course), the HFS of this game would be full of hungry heads.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 04:33:45 pm by towerator »

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2021, 11:36:34 am »

For a minute, I thought you had modified your raws to bring back Spirits of fire from 0.28.181.40d, but then I noticed that they were capitalized differently (and were Red instead of Yellow) and realized that the game somehow managed to generate them randomly, which is awesome.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2021, 11:39:50 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

towerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Cloven Asunder
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2021, 02:46:52 pm »

For a minute, I thought you had modified your raws to bring back Spirits of fire from 0.28.181.40d, but then I noticed that they were capitalized differently (and were Red instead of Yellow) and realized that the game somehow managed to generate them randomly, which is awesome.

In case you're curious, here's what the "new" spirits of fire look like:

A huge hummingbird composed of flames. It has four stubby horns and it is ravening. Beware its hunger for warm blood!

Quite a lot less dangerous than vintage SoF from what I understand (since that was well before I started playing), and pretty much ballista fodder among the demons (though the winged fiends are weaker still). Nevertheless, their existence as a level 2 FpS destroyer made them a valid target for exterminatus. So long, spirit of fire, it was nice seeing you again.

Free_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2021, 11:34:09 pm »

Update: So unfortunately, I end up ALWAYS getting a siege in the first few days of the save, and it consistently include SoF. I'm gonna have to manually terminate them using DFhack as they spawn. This is quite silly, since the rest of the of the siege, demons included, is basically "minced meat on legs". Also, a test run showed that it will be damn hard to actually destroy the civ with demons using raids without huge losses, even with an expert squad, thank you, impossible-to-train mil tactics skill...

Any idea on how to train it without losing half of my elite squad?

Apologies if it's a weird question, but why not just eat the FPS hit until the forest fire burns out?  It may take literally half a day in real time to burn down, but chunk through it, let DF run while you cook or work or something, and then you'll have a great fort story once the FPS returns to whatever you had before.

The answer is as simple as "I don't really have the patience to". Also, it was still a siege with demons in it, so even if they aren't very strong I'd prefer not to come back only to find out that fun happened during the meantime.

At least I got a cool new engraving for my Hall of History:

http://prntscr.com/wnl2ey

after one of my dorfs led the charge, personally killed a quarter of the siege, then led a second charge against the winged fiends, killed a first, and then saved 2 rookies who were struggling against the 2nd by slicing it up too.

On the "permanent solution" side, I implemented FantasticDorf's solution, my commander is now slowly leveling up. I've done my first test run against a real target, it went well, I think I'm ready to go for the kill.

I experienced fps death too after I was really starting to get into it too.. I didn't have the patience to wait for all my squads to get back. 3 separate missions to 3 separate locations. Even if that's the reason the game was so slow, I still didn't want to wait that long. Now, i'ts just retired.
Pages: 1 [2]