Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sudden Pop Growth at Conquered Site?  (Read 1033 times)

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
Sudden Pop Growth at Conquered Site?
« on: January 12, 2021, 12:32:15 pm »

An odd thing I noticed: when I conquered a Dark Pit in fortress mode, I sent across a group of five Dwarves to there. Checking it on the world map after the 'X has claimed the position of Administrator' thing, there's now eleven times that many Dwarves and two dozen animals there. Since I'm on an isolated island and there's nothing but Goblins and a single Goblin-conquered fortress, where did they all come from? And is this normal?
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sudden Pop Growth at Conquered Site?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2021, 12:38:44 pm »

How are you articulating that they are specifically dwarves living in this site, they could be goblin refugees who have become adoptive members of dwarven society? Were you viewing the site afterwards in legends viewer or something similar?

Its speculative, but the site could have just made up some non-historical dwarf copies too, but i dont this has really been reported before not that it'd be super-suprising.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
Re: Sudden Pop Growth at Conquered Site? (Answered)
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2021, 12:51:57 pm »

How are you articulating that they are specifically dwarves living in this site, they could be goblin refugees who have become adoptive members of dwarven society? Were you viewing the site afterwards in legends viewer or something similar?

Its speculative, but the site could have just made up some non-historical dwarf copies too, but i dont this has really been reported before not that it'd be super-suprising.
Yes, I viewed it in legendsviewer. Saved the game when I noticed it, DFHack-exported it, and looked at the site from there. There are no civilised pops there other than 55 Dwarves, with a bunch of Yaks, Horses, Beak Dogs, and Donkeys under 'Uncivilised' pops.

And on a closer look, all of the dwarves who settled there after the siege have basically blank histories - so it looks like the dwarves were generated ex nihlo.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 03:28:27 am »

Armok must have been pleased with your efforts

Bortness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 08:55:44 am »

I've seen similar happen in a variety of situations over the few years since world activation went live.  It has caused me to wonder if the legends / exported files either recognize differently or miscount historical figures vs. the "npc" level townsfolk.  So if you've just conquered a site and installed an administrator, that might cause an unusually large number of npc townsfolk to become historical figures in a very short amount of time, causing the counts to change.

On the other hand I might just be completely wrong.