Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What is this dorf doing?!  (Read 1319 times)

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What is this dorf doing?!
« on: December 08, 2020, 05:26:34 pm »

So I'm channeling out a pit in my fort for some goblin killing and I noticed this:

Somehow, one of the miners got stuck in mid-air above the pit with 2 or 3 z levels of open space beneath her and didn't fall.  She was just stuck there in the air, Looney Tunes style.  I had a wall built in that narrow passage so the dwarves wouldn't try pathing down it, and I thought somehow maybe the wall got her stuck?  I deconstructed it and she stayed there in the middle of the air.  Then to make things more weird, she pathed into the passage, then stepped back out into the middle of the air where she was without falling again and then back into the passage and went on her merry way. 

Still scratching my head over this one.

Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
Re: What is this dorf doing?!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 05:57:38 pm »

Just looks like a dwarf climbing. They can do that, they just won't do so reliably, and the most common causes are like, mining accident related things (sometimes stranded dwarves try to climb back to somewhere if they're stuck, but normally not) and sometimes they get scared and climb away from the threat (most commonly seen in dwarves getting stuck in trees).

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 06:02:23 pm »

And another reason for dorfs to climb is that there was a path to the target when they set out, but deconstruction broke the path. Instead of stepping one tile to the side to bypass the empty space where the stair/wall/floor was when the path was laid out they climb through the empty space.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 08:31:48 pm »

Channeling designations are a common cause for suspended miners. Smooth walls and fortifications help keep dwarven hands from finding any ledges, if that is desirable for you

orius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 11:56:03 pm »

I guess some of that made sense.  It just looked weird as hell, and strange stuff happens in this game.  I was keeping a fairly close eye on that channeling so something wouldn't go wrong.  But today's game had its share of irritants and WTFs and this came at the end of it.  The worst was the fort's doctor deciding to take a break while treating a patient, then go outside and join in two other dorfs that were tormenting a monitor lizard that was roaming around.  The lizard mauled the doctor, badly injuring his hands and feet, then gelded him with a nasty bite.  Luckily, I had another dorf who'd recently arrived with medical skills who was able to treat Dr. Urist McNumbNoNuts.
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
That is an insane and dangerous plan.  I approve wholeheartedly. 

Fortressdeath

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2020, 10:02:46 am »

Hehe good times.

I couldn't say for sure, but maybe you could make a 1 doctor military squad with no additional equipment, station them in the hospital, then lock the door. I don't know if they would begin treatment upon resuming civilian status though that would be what I'd try first.

Floating dwarf seems to be a climber as mentioned. I've had them cling to a wall for months before I notice they are dying and promptly build a path for them.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 10:09:22 am by Duuvian »
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 03:37:17 pm »

Hehe good times.

I couldn't say for sure, but maybe you could make a 1 doctor military squad with no additional equipment, station them in the hospital, then lock the door. I don't know if they would begin treatment upon resuming civilian status though that would be what I'd try first.

Floating dwarf seems to be a climber as mentioned. I've had them cling to a wall for months before I notice they are dying and promptly build a path for them.

disable the station/active status and they will commence normal behaviors, can use a burrow too to allow them to eat and drink and sleep as needed