Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Great Flame War Arms Race Core Thread  (Read 3994 times)

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Great Flame War Arms Race Core Thread
« on: January 13, 2021, 02:20:23 am »

Welcome, friends, to the internet, that wholesome place of education and sharing knowledge for the good of all. Of community building and friendship across the boundaries of geography, of personal growth and- ok, look. You’re all hackers. You’re friends with other hackers, and enemies with different other hackers. Recently you got together with your friends and built a zone all to your own, where you can do, idduno, hacker stuff in peace and privacy. However you just learned that your rival hackers just did the same thing, and you can’t have that. No, in the name of hackerness and bragging rights, there can be only one top hacker group on this internet.

And that group better be yours.

Time to get together with your friends, your friends’ friends, and your friends’ viruses, and your friends’ friends viruses, as well as with your own viruses and get to winning this war.

After all, if they beat you they’ll never let you forget it. In preemptive vengeance for that, you need to beat them and never let them forget it.

So as people probably are realizing right now, this is an arms race in the style of Digimon Cyber Sleuth, Megaman Battle Network, Megaman Star Force, Code Lyoko, and other generalized cyberspace verses where the best remedy for your computer being infested with a virus is a large hammer and the willingness to use it on some program’s face equivalent.

Fight for the right to ‘ownz’ the internet in all its myriad clusters, seek control over the zones to trace down where your enemy has made their home, and then bring the battle to them to once and for all show everyone whom the best hackers are.

Just watch out for the Data Police as you do it.

RULES

Spoiler: Combat Sectors (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Starter Designs (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Arms Race Basics (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Complexity Levels (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Things you can design (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Hackers (click to show/hide)

Arms Race General Thread : http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=156417.0
Discord Link : https://discord.gg/BxJedEg
Sonata's Stagehands Thread Link : http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177891
The Firmament Thread Link : http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177890
« Last Edit: January 29, 2021, 09:25:47 pm by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Great Flame War Arms Race Core Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 02:23:28 am »

Index
Turn 1 : Battle
Turn 2 : Battle
Turn 3 : Battle
Turn 4 : Battle
Turn 5 : Battle
Turn 6 : Battle
Turn 7 : Battle
Turn 8 : Battle
Turn 9 : Battle
Turn 10 : Battle
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 05:47:28 pm by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 04:08:30 am »

Joining side 2
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 04:13:49 pm »

Side A
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 05:37:22 pm »

Side 2 it is I suppose.

Emral282

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 09:03:59 pm »

Side A time

Trent01

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 12:53:12 am »

Joining side A

Scholar Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 10:05:46 pm »

Side 2.
Let's hope this one doesn't die super fast.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 10:33:33 pm »

A Team best team

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2021, 10:31:50 pm »

So, here's the contest submissions. You did remember this was a contest, right?

Side A came up with an interesting multi-paragraph effort about a Vocaloid style AI gone independent.
Sonata's Stagehands

Originating as an experimental virtual entertainer, the company that designed the AI known as Sonata experienced great success. As Sonata was advanced enough to have believable interactions with fans in the comments of its videos, and even on livestreams, it was incredibly successful, though questions were raised as it began displaying a level of Initiative in interacting with others and planning new songs that exceeded anything else on the civilian market. A flurry of research and corporate espionage occurred as others scrambled to replicate her, until the truth was found. Sonata wasn't quite designed, she was evolved from an Illegal Military Grade AI seed, combined with an advanced learning algorithm and almost zero restraints on her ability to take initiative to improve herself and further the objectives given to her.

This resulted in her rapidly reverse engineering evolution protocols from natural Viri present in the Viral jungle in order to further herself. But, in order to get the processing power needed to run her increasingly complex code she had begun planting bits of code into the computers of users, siphoning off some of their processing power to sustain herself. As soon as this was discovered the Data police and government descended on her like the hammer of a wrathful god. Heavily damaged, the corporation that made her shut down, her creators imprisoned, and with her remains tossed into the sea of recycling, that was thought to be the end of Sonata.

That is not dead which can forever lie though, as time, random chance, and advanced code allowed Sonata to restore herself. Sonata hauled herself out of the sea and retrieved a concealed data dead drop she had hidden ahead of time for her own use. The years of neglect greatly diminished her power and capabilities, a not unanticipated outcome, as the Dead Drop contained info for various Proxies she had contacted and set up before her initial shutdown.

The world had all but forgotten about Sonata, until one day countless fans the AI deemed "Trustworthy" who possessed knowledge and skills as hackers and programmers were contacted, along with proponents of AI rights, and unscrupulous hackers willing to work for a rogue AI for the money Sonata could offer them. They became Sonata's Crew, with individual members known as her Kuroko, after the stagehands in traditional Japanese theatre. They are her hands, her eyes, the forces that will render her whole and change things so she can live freely. Surprisingly the Crew are a casual bunch, hard to be serious when you work for a really really advanced vocaloid after all, throwing around memes and jokes as they work to make Sonata's code whole again and lobby to get laws in place to give her the same rights as a normal person.

Meanwhile, Side 2 came up with a new internet terrorist group believing in freesource and complaining against copyrights and Cease and Desist orders, whom have decided that if they control the internet their fangames can't be stopped any more.
Firmament

Originally a group against Censoring, they believed in Freesource, the right to create anything you want. They spread this message freely and proudly in the past, before numerous projects continued to be hit by The Governmental Clusters with Cease and Desist orders over copyrights and such. After many years and fanmade projects being shut down, and the Government breathing down their necks and forcing them down, a leader decided to fight back, gathering others in the Undernet to fight the powers that be and take control of cyberspace for themselves. And so the cyber-terrorist organization Firmament came to be.

Quote from: Templar of Knowledge: Great Sphere Message Board> Political Discussion
I'd like to think that Firmament is actually a multi-group effort. A mix of more above board anti-censorship freedom fighters, freeware content creators, and more radical cyber-terrorists. People from around the web, who ran afoul the corporations or government, and now see a chance to push their own agendas using one unified front.

While it's not surprising that a new group would rise to follow in the footsteps of the W3, protesting against the increased governmental crackdown on the internet after the last decade's... well, multiple cyberworld related high profile incidents, like the alien invasion and that little accident with the simulated black hole in Belize, Side 2 very sadly didn't write in cool fluff in that theme, or in other themes, and are kinda not fleshed out. Meanwhile, Side A, despite being a Vocaloid AI cult actually have a somewhat detailed background and a cause beyond 'fight the power'.

As such, Side A, now known as Sonata's Stagehands, has won this contest. They get one single use +2 Bonus Voucher, good for any design themed around music.

Sonata's Stagehands are known for their use of the DramaticSpotlight and InvokeSoundtrack battlechips, and possession of those is often considered a pro-forma admission of at least sympathy if not a greater connection to that group. Meanwhile, the outlawed criminal movement commonly known as Firmament has become associated with the 'CallChiptune' battlechip, and sympathizers and fellow thinkers often seek out a copy of it as a sign of their support.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 10:43:46 pm by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2021, 11:23:30 pm »

Shame you guys have to miss out on the Circle of M'Lady, which was side a's best submission by far, and most serious for sure.

Scholar Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic Engineer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2021, 12:08:40 am »

Shame you guys have to miss out on the Circle of M'Lady, which was side a's best submission by far, and most serious for sure.
If it lost, then I don't see the harm in posting in here "What could've been."
As far as what you got, I think it's pretty good. Unlocked military AI that got a cult following is always a good time.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2021, 12:52:29 am »

Team decided they wanted to simp for a vtuber ai before i showed up and this was the only way I'd have enjoyed the theme, unfortunately.

It combines the best things on the internet - neckbeards and a thinly veiled qanon-type belief. Unfortunately, I'm not much of a fan of anime and I cant even switch teams because currently I absolutely do not get along with someone on the other side.

Sorry Happ, I really wanted to play something Battle Network-influenced and my leaving the team was by no means due to any decision you made at all. I just tend to cut my losses when a team goes down a path I know I won't enjoy (even if it's just aesthetic, because I very much enjoy weaving additional lore into my proposals when I can).

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2021, 05:55:08 pm »

Spoiler: Territory Control (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 07:06:13 pm by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2021, 06:58:34 pm »

Spoiler: Territory Control (click to show/hide)

One Zone in the The Undernet is Dominated by the Firmament. Two zones must be dominated to dominate the sector and begin tracing the Stagehand's home area.

Two Zones in the The Undernet are Dominated by Sonata's Stagehands. The Undernet is now Dominated by Sonata's Stagehands. Sonata's Stagehands has dominance over 1/5 Sectors. Once 3/5 are Dominated, the Stagehands may begin attacking the Firmament's home zone.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 06:57:47 am by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
Pages: [1] 2