Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Modded creature won't show up in object testing arena  (Read 1158 times)

Tinfect

• Bay Watcher
  • Want an Orange?
    • View Profile
Modded creature won't show up in object testing arena
« on: January 15, 2021, 10:38:30 pm »

Hi there, me again, begging for help with a project again, here's the problem this time:
Testing out a new creature, it uses a lot of modified materials and body templates; I've cleaned all the errors that get thrown in the error log, so everything seems assigned properly.
Except the damn critter won't so much as show up in object testing. As far as I can tell, there's nothing obvious I missed, my prior project, from which this loots its basic structure, still works! Yet this does not, and I can't figure out why.

Spoiler: creature (click to show/hide)
Wizard one casts a Spell, Wizard two casts a Counterspell. Wizard one casts another Spell, Wizard two casts another Counterspell. Army comes along and chops 'em both up.

Atkana

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST]
    • View Profile
Re: Modded creature won't show up in object testing arena
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2021, 02:44:16 am »

It's hard to test them properly since you're using custom body parts, but I have them showing up just fine in the list. There's definitely some problems with how you laid out bodies though, which I think I've edited around. One of the main problems was with the body declarations - if you're making a creature that has multiple different bodies, you shouldn't have any body tags outside of caste selections, because otherwise I believe the castes with custom bodies will also use the creature-level body too, becoming some crazy amalgam of bodies :p Similar applies to BODY_SIZE - keep them at caste-level because inheritance can be weird (I think). Outside of moving those around, I also moved the body detail plans etc. to apply to all at the end, as well as their interactions and attacks, as all of them rely on body parts being a thing.

Though yeah again, I can't fully test if these edits work properly because I'm missing the parts, so I just CTD if I try to spawn them :P

Tinfect

• Bay Watcher
  • Want an Orange?
    • View Profile
Re: Modded creature won't show up in object testing arena
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2021, 05:12:26 am »

It's hard to test them properly since you're using custom body parts, but I have them showing up just fine in the list. There's definitely some problems with how you laid out bodies though, which I think I've edited around. One of the main problems was with the body declarations - if you're making a creature that has multiple different bodies, you shouldn't have any body tags outside of caste selections, because otherwise I believe the castes with custom bodies will also use the creature-level body too, becoming some crazy amalgam of bodies :p Similar applies to BODY_SIZE - keep them at caste-level because inheritance can be weird (I think). Outside of moving those around, I also moved the body detail plans etc. to apply to all at the end, as well as their interactions and attacks, as all of them rely on body parts being a thing.

Though yeah again, I can't fully test if these edits work properly because I'm missing the parts, so I just CTD if I try to spawn them :P

Thank you, so much, genuinely.
This didn't fix it for me, but I figured out why, and it wasn't even anything you could've fixed.
I named the castes by morphology, not by species name, so when I searched 'Karask', I didn't find shit, because that's not what they were called.
I'm just stupid.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 09:43:51 am by Tinfect »
Wizard one casts a Spell, Wizard two casts a Counterspell. Wizard one casts another Spell, Wizard two casts another Counterspell. Army comes along and chops 'em both up.