Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Multiverse Crash - OOC/signup Thread.  (Read 6692 times)

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
Multiverse Crash - OOC/signup Thread.
« on: January 17, 2021, 08:14:06 pm »

Welcome to the world of Multiverse Crash!

This is another one of my "experimental" game ideas. In this game, your character will exist in multiple worlds simultaneously; but the setting of each of these worlds is drastically different! In one world your character might be a simple office worker, in another world that same character might be a knight on a quest to slay a dragon, and in a third world your character might be one of the dragons!

However, the worlds are not completely isolated. When a major event happens to you in one world they may face consequences or similar events in other worlds too! To succeed in your lives, you'll can utilize the knowledge from other worlds to your advantage! Beware though, for in recent years there have been creatures lurking in worlds where they do not belong!

In one of the worlds, your character does not have a corresponding manifestation. That world is one of your own making! You'll be the one who is calling the shots within that world. How does the world work? Well, that's up to you. It could be a world of Fantasy, based on Modern times or Science Fiction. Maybe in your world everyone is a dog, or maybe the players in your world are even gods?

Before we can even begin to attempt to design characters, you'll need to create a world for characters to inhabit! To do that, use the below world application! Your world will need a name, ideally upwards of a paragraph to describe the world, and you will also need to determine what a player's character will be in this particular reality. Things such as species, age, career choices and other things can be restricted to fit your world, though players should still have plenty of room for character customization.

While it is not strictly necessary to GM a world in order to play, the game cannot start if we do not get a sufficient amount of World Applications. The Character Application we be added after that. Likewise, it is possible to just run a world if you so choose.

Spoiler: World Application (click to show/hide)

Here is a list of currently existing world:
Spoiler: World Lore: Wasteland (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: World Lore: Mechal (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: World Lore: Incindia (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: World Lore: Jeoathica (click to show/hide)

And here is what you use to apply to join!
I know there's a lot of world lore to go through, but you really need to go over the above world spoilers in order to understand what you can and cannot be, as it is drastically different across the worlds of the multiverse.
Spoiler: Characters Application (click to show/hide)
The official Discord is here. Use of it is optional.

IC Threads:
Lands Adrift
Wasteland
System Zero
Mechal
Incindia
Jeoathica
« Last Edit: March 08, 2021, 05:44:37 pm by Supernerd »
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Multiverse Crash - OOC/signup Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 09:28:32 pm »

Work In Progress

World Name: Crystalia

World Description: Crystalia is a world that is made entirely of crystals. The creatures that inhabit the world are silicon based instead of carbon based. “Plants” are those life forms that use light from other crystals as well as whichever crystals they grow on to make what they need to grow. “Fungi” are also sessile, but take nutrients from what they grow on and cannot use light like the “plants”. “Animals” are the motile creatures who are not connected to other crystals and must consume other life forms for the nutrients they need. The crystals that use light don’t glow. Sentient motile crystals of this world hypothesize this is because if they had to make the light, they wouldn’t be able to have the energy to make the food. Note to Otherworlders: the three categories of crystal life were named based on a different world, it is very likely that evolution is very different from that of said world, and that there are more categories of crystal life our scanners may have missed. Debate in the Interworld Research Division is ongoing as to whether the world itself is a large crystal organism.

Player Restrictions: Must be an organism within Crystalia

Question: Can someone who made a world also play as characters?

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 09:39:01 pm »

A player running a world can also have a character, but their character would not have a version of themself in the world made by their player. What this means for you, is your character would be able to exist in every world except Crystalia.
You arrive at a mysterious castle filled with people whose statements are always false. Which one do you vote for?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 09:43:17 pm »

A player running a world can also have a character, but their character would not have a version of themself in the world made by their player. What this means for you, is your character would be able to exist in every world except Crystalia.
Thanks for clarifying

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2021, 10:09:04 pm »

Oooooh, interesting.

Hopefully, GMing in this will mean I will get advice on how to do stuff. Please be patient with me, as I rather emphatically have never done this before.

World Name: Lands Adrift

World Description: Amid the sky drift islands, shattered pieces of a world long since broken to pieces - assuming it was not created in parts to begin with. There are gods, but few are active; the clergy have magic, but it is no different from that of the mages and artificers. The archipelagoes and wind currents are everchanging, but the beacons guide the way, at least to the greatest hubs. Great aetherships navigate the skies alongside the majestic whales and vast schools of fish; pirates and wyrms haunt the tradewinds in search of prey. Vines hang down from the clouds above to the clouds below, and waterfalls fade to rain and mist as they fall; follow them up, if you dare. This is a world of chance, of change, of daring, of danger, of opportunity. Make the leap, take the fall, grasp the reward.

Locales of note/example locations:
-Adjilia: Not the largest civilized island, nor the oldest one, but a constant center of activity nonetheless, at least for the region it currently occupies. The Gold Quarter is constantly bustling, and money is always changing hands. The Cloud Quarter hosts Greywood University, a mage's college worthy of a potentially up-and-coming city. The Lightning Quarter never sleeps, or at least, its herds of inventors seldom seem to.
-Ol' Betsy: A sort of grey market built on the back of an ancient and massive whale, drifting serenely and undisturbed through the shattered skies. Here, mercenaries hawk their services to whoever's willing to pay, archeologists leave for expeditions and the successful ones sell their discoveries, and more than a few secrets can be bought for the right price.
-The Greywood: A vast tangle of islands, few larger than a house, all overgrown with vines and other verdance. Many have explored its depths. Most come out, some with treasures. None know its true extent, and fortunes have been spent on maps that barely cover a hundred islands - a drop in the bucket for a sea as great as this. Imagine if you could be the one to learn what lay at the very core?
-The Black Star: An "artificial island", per se. It probably began life as a pirate ship, if a large one; now, it rivals the civilized islands in size. This is the black market, the pirate hideout; the navies don't come here unless they want to get shot out of the skies. It's dangerous here... but not, perhaps, as dangerous as being a wanted criminal elsewhere.

Player Restrictions: Show me a "normal" mortal race that has appeared in a story (godgames preferred); you can probably play as one, so long as they're not ridiculously overpowered. You should be old enough to look after yourself, and your career should make sense for where you start. Feel free to make an island yourself (though you'll need my approval for it), to pick something I or another player have made, or to just have started on some family ranch or farm on your own isolated island.
So we're clear: magic is fair game, as is technology, though they should be of roughly equal power, as technology in this setting is, to a significant degree, powered by magic. If it would need electricity, gunpowder, or other such "fuels" in real life, it will use magic here, and either fail to work entirely or be much less effective if deprived of such.

(Additional setting notes, because I don't feel like trying to figure out how to add them naturally to the description:
"Civilized islands" are essentially... well, city-sized islands that are essentially fully populated. The degree to which this is the case varies; some of them still have relatively large areas of natural space and might be called "tamed islands" instead, while others are populated to the degree that there's docks being built off the edge of the island and people have dug into the small amount of underground in order to make more room. It's rare for more than two cities to share an island, and they'd have to be pretty small on a pretty large island.
Additionally, these civilized islands essentially operate as city-states, and there's not really any higher level of governance. It can be difficult to govern large swathes of territory when they're stationary; imagine how difficult it would be do try to govern even two different cities when they could drift thousands of miles apart after a month. There are multi-city alliances, but these tend to be temporary.
Not all islands have life on them; many are more akin to asteroids, big hunks of rock and metal. Naturally, these are popular for mining.
In addition to aetherships, there are many flying animals and means of (more directly) magical transportation, such as cloudwalking, teleportation circles (expensive as fuck to use), and, of course, flight. Aetherships are definitely the safest means of distance transportation, though.)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 12:18:10 am by Glass »
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2021, 10:22:38 pm »

Sure. I can give you advice if you want. Can't think of any general advice I feel you need at this particular moment though.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 10:25:36 pm »

Making settings isn't the hard part, figuring out how the fuck to actually run a game is .-.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2021, 11:19:39 pm »

World Name: Wasteland
World Description: A post-apocalyptic world ravaged by the fires, diseases, large fast-moving objects, hostile magic, and the other horsemen of war. Most of the population is dead. The second largest section of the population is undead. Those few remaining survives have to work hard every day to avoid ending up in the former two categories. It is certainly not easy, everything from the air to the water to the ruins of the old world desperately wish to remove your "living" status. Purify your water wrong and you'll end up moaning for brains within the week. Take off your gas mask in the wrong part of town and you're lungs will be fried before you can realize your mistake. Surviving just one more day is a victory against the world itself, do you have what it takes?
Player Restrictions: None, go nuts.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2021, 07:32:14 am »

{Now with twice as much word jumble!}

World Name: Post-Haven

World Description: A very technologically advanced world governed by an all-powerful world government. Some decades ago, a deadly virus swept across the land, devastating the world. Due to the severity of the virus, all citizens have been locked and ordered to stay permanently within the confines of their living spaces, provided by the world government along with all living needs such as sustenance and medical care. The quarantine has been declared mandatory and permanent until further notice, and such has been the way for decades now. These conditions have created a world where most citizens' activities take place in online virtual reality and cyberspace rather than in real life.

The advanced virtual reality cyperspace commonly called "TheWRLD" is capable of delivering to users very accurate simulations of most experiences that exist in real life, and even many that do not. Much like the real world, TheWRLD is moderated by the global government, and utilizes a hierarchy of somewhat fluid ranks ranging from Admins (top level government officials) to Users (common citizens) to sub-levels with diminishing privileges down to Banned (users the government has either temporarily or permanently prohibited from entering TheWRLD). Given that the virtual cyberspace of TheWLRD is the only effective link any citizen has to the rest of existence beyond the monotonous walls of their living space, it is generally very much in the interest of most citizens to make sure they have continued access to TheWRLD. The various ranks denote overall power and capabilities of users, although there are a variety of "Items", both government-approved and otherwise, that can change things, sometimes to enormous degrees.

Player Restrictions: Must be a quarantined citizen of Post-Haven. Can be any rank in TheWRLD that is below Admin (Moderator, User, Sub, etc, feel free to make your own if you want but it may need my approval if it's particularly atypical).

Question - what sort of duties might a GM be tasked with?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 10:59:07 pm by MeimieFan88 »
Thou art the very love with which I love thee.
Ear teeth

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 01:06:51 pm »

going to wait until character signups start
it's over

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 05:18:47 pm »

The main thing that a GM needs to worry about, is deciding what happens to player characters who are in their world; much like a standard game.

You can also be paying some degree of attention to the other worlds to see if anything they do there would result in anything of importance happening as a result of that in your world, but you don't need to check them obsessively to do this. I am also willing to point out things like that myself.

As for 0cra_tr0per, I have had multiple issues with this player in the past. While I am not outright banning them from this particular game, my ruling is that players do not need to allow him to have an incarnation in their own world if they do not want to.

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2021, 06:12:04 pm »

The main thing that a GM needs to worry about, is deciding what happens to player characters who are in their world; much like a standard game.

You can also be paying some degree of attention to the other worlds to see if anything they do there would result in anything of importance happening as a result of that in your world, but you don't need to check them obsessively to do this. I am also willing to point out things like that myself.

Thanks, that makes sense.
Ear teeth

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2021, 09:30:02 pm »

Looks like we have enough worlds to begin, (I'll probably be running one myself), though having more would be ideal. Two of the four worlds still appear to be a work in progress so I'm not going to initialize character creation just yet. Let me know if you want any advice about something.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2021, 10:55:12 pm »

Can I join in tomorrow?  I'd like to run a world, but busy tonight.

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2021, 11:07:04 pm »

I just added some stuff to my world application. I guess it's ready, although I'm not exactly sure how it will work yet. Still got a lot of ideas brewing, and things are kinda here and there. Any advice in general would be appreciated.
Ear teeth
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8