Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tilesets on PRINT MODE TEXT and beard faces  (Read 3839 times)

ElioNETO-trad

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Tilesets on PRINT MODE TEXT and beard faces
« on: January 18, 2021, 07:20:08 am »

Hello everyone,

this is my very first post on this forum. First of all, I'd like to say thanks for creating this amazing game. I've been playing Dwarf Fortress for a couple months now and I'm totally loving it!

However, despites this great game, unfortunately I hardly have time to play it as I would like and so I started looking other possibilities on how could I play it. I spend at least 2 hours per day on public transport and I wondered if it could be possible to play this game on the go. It has been 2 months now and I finally managed to make it work ! There aren't alot of tutorials, But I've found a way to play DF on my smartphone, via Termux and Ubuntu. The experience is not as good as playing on PC, but I can have fun.

With these manipulations, I have some questions :

1 - In order to make DF run on Ubuntu emulated via Termux, I had to change the init.txt and set the setting PRINT_MODE to TEXT. I'm not quite sure what does it do, could anyone explain to me what is the difference between 2D and Text mode? I didn't find anything really useful on the web.

2 - I would like to know if it is possible to put some tilesets as PRINT_MODE set to TEXT ? I tried installing some tilesets by myself but the game says I need to change this parameter to make the tileset work. However, when I change it, I can not longer run DF because it says I need a graphical output. I'm now trying to discover a way out to solve this issue. I was thinking maybe I could implant some sort of GUI environnement on Termux, but had no success so far.

3 - Is it possible to change the "skin" of dwarves? I'm playing with smiley faces. I would like to have the beard ones. I know that this setting comes up when playing on windowed mode, however I tried to change in the settings to fullscreen and changing resolutions but it didn't work. Does it have a way around that I could change these smiley faces?

Thank you already for your time.

Best regards,

Elio NETO

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tilesets on PRINT MODE TEXT and beard faces
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 02:10:25 pm »

1 - In order to make DF run on Ubuntu emulated via Termux, I had to change the init.txt and set the setting PRINT_MODE to TEXT. I'm not quite sure what does it do, could anyone explain to me what is the difference between 2D and Text mode? I didn't find anything really useful on the web.
PRINT_MODE:TEXT causes DF to convert its tiles to UTF-8 characters and output them to a terminal (emulator) via ncurses. With PRINT_MODE:2D, DF uses images of characters from the configured tileset. All modes except TEXT are actually graphics modes, even the ASCII tilesets, and mode TEXT is pure text.

2 - I would like to know if it is possible to put some tilesets as PRINT_MODE set to TEXT ? I tried installing some tilesets by myself but the game says I need to change this parameter to make the tileset work. However, when I change it, I can not longer run DF because it says I need a graphical output. I'm now trying to discover a way out to solve this issue. I was thinking maybe I could implant some sort of GUI environnement on Termux, but had no success so far.
The above means that the tileset (and colors.txt) that DF would use for graphics modes will not be used with TEXT mode. There is a utility to convert a DF tileset to a TTF file, but I have no idea if it currently works. (Or if Termux can use the generated TTF files.)

3 - Is it possible to change the "skin" of dwarves? I'm playing with smiley faces. I would like to have the beard ones. I know that this setting comes up when playing on windowed mode, however I tried to change in the settings to fullscreen and changing resolutions but it didn't work. Does it have a way around that I could change these smiley faces?
Pretty sure the only way to change how those look is to change the glyphs in the font or the entire font used by Termux.

There is another possible way to play DF remotely, over HTML, which does use tilesets, but I can't remember the name of it - hopefully some one will be along shortly that does.

Edit: looks like it's called DFPlex
« Last Edit: January 18, 2021, 02:17:27 pm by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

ElioNETO-trad

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Tilesets on PRINT MODE TEXT and beard faces
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 04:47:27 am »

PRINT_MODE:TEXT causes DF to convert its tiles to UTF-8 characters and output them to a terminal (emulator) via ncurses. With PRINT_MODE:2D, DF uses images of characters from the configured tileset. All modes except TEXT are actually graphics modes, even the ASCII tilesets, and mode TEXT is pure text.

The above means that the tileset (and colors.txt) that DF would use for graphics modes will not be used with TEXT mode. There is a utility to convert a DF tileset to a TTF file, but I have no idea if it currently works. (Or if Termux can use the generated TTF files.)

Pretty sure the only way to change how those look is to change the glyphs in the font or the entire font used by Termux.

There is another possible way to play DF remotely, over HTML, which does use tilesets, but I can't remember the name of it - hopefully some one will be along shortly that does.

Edit: looks like it's called DFPlex

Thank you very much for taking time to answer my questions ! I appreciate that.

I'm going to try these tools. I don't mind playing on default mode without tilesets, I just wanted to change the dwarves to beard faces, smileys are weird, haha.

Regarding the DF remotely HTML, I didn't know we could play DF in coop mode. Sounds fun! I'm definitely going to try it. The only problem is that I take the subway and sometimes when underground I lose my data.

Thanks once again,

Elio NETO