Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: What is The Hardest Race to Play in a Completely Unmodded Game?  (Read 4924 times)

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
Re: What is The Hardest Race to Play in a Completely Unmodded Game?
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2021, 02:22:55 am »

uhh unmodded wise doesn't really matter given technically through quantum leap you could probably play as any creature unfortunate enough to get swapped to.
but I don't find humans as the hardest as they start off with good pets to make up for being average and I always end up picking up a  few human outsiders to get access to the giant animal pets.
like if this was pre-44.12 era dwarf fortress I would have said playing a bogeyman would be the hardest species to play as... since the bogeyman encounter mechanics goes from survivable to if you screw up to You are dead regardless if you survive the onslaught of fellow bogeymen or not as the cackling will kill you along with the bogeymen.
so night time alone is a stressful encounter of finding a roof to stay under or else. though I guess the process to play a bogeyman in vanilla in pre-47 era would probably also require a way to activate quantum leap.

Rumrusher can you explain what you mean by quantum leap and how you do it. You've been posting a lot about it recently. I've been looking for info on the wiki and on the forums and I can't find anything. Maybe it's something everyone knows under a peculiar name but I'm really stumped
Quantum leap is a glitch where you get separated from your character somehow and transferred to a random creature. It can happen if a necromancer kills you and revives your corpse, and I think you used to be able to sleep in caves to trigger it.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2021, 02:52:17 pm »

Here's a thread about one of the discoveries of this phenomenon.

The way I remember the glitch is that it happens often when you have a character over ice when you have a transition like sleeping and then fast traveling.  If the game tries to assign you to a character that no longer exists for some reason, you get assigned to the nearest other creature to where the game expected to find your character, which can be extremely odd creatures, like the aforementioned geese or even clowns.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2021, 02:59:59 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2021, 07:20:11 pm »

Ah yes, that glitch. I remember becoming a giant cave swallow once. But to be honest I'm kinda surprised that everyone had been knowing about it and how to trigger it for ten years and it didn't make it on the wiki as far as I know. (I just thought it was some weird dfhackery for one.) Who knows what others nuggets of knowledge are buried in the forums because everyone knows about it and no one cared to write it down

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2021, 06:37:14 am »

Ah yes, that glitch. I remember becoming a giant cave swallow once. But to be honest I'm kinda surprised that everyone had been knowing about it and how to trigger it for ten years and it didn't make it on the wiki as far as I know. (I just thought it was some weird dfhackery for one.) Who knows what others nuggets of knowledge are buried in the forums because everyone knows about it and no one cared to write it down
it was well known enough to become a dfusion script that later move on to becoming a dfhack script, but it also was there for 'dwarf companion', also like most of the old ways to do this either patch out due to some other bug being fixed, or needed a third party utility or modding. Given the cage way required to cage trap yourself in a cage that will destroy itself over time and toady made it so that folks can't trap themselves on cagetraps now since it normally unless you make an ice cage led to a softlock.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes
Pages: 1 [2]