Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What is The Hardest Race to Play in a Completely Unmodded Game?  (Read 4883 times)

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
What is The Hardest Race to Play in a Completely Unmodded Game?
« on: January 20, 2021, 06:13:39 am »

I know that if we ignore animal people those would be humans for they're attributes and lack of special advantageous traits some other races have but what is the hardest race overall if we include animal people and why? If you can't decide just give examples.
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What is The Hardest Race to Play in a Completely Unmodded Game?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 06:26:20 am »

Kobolds maybe, they seem kind of fragile.

I've heard that you get the option to play as them every now and then in an unmodded game.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2021, 02:09:59 pm »

I know that if we ignore animal people those would be humans for they're attributes and lack of special advantageous traits some other races have but what is the hardest race overall if we include animal people and why? If you can't decide just give examples.
uhh unmodded wise doesn't really matter given technically through quantum leap you could probably play as any creature unfortunate enough to get swapped to.
but I don't find humans as the hardest as they start off with good pets to make up for being average and I always end up picking up a  few human outsiders to get access to the giant animal pets.
like if this was pre-44.12 era dwarf fortress I would have said playing a bogeyman would be the hardest species to play as... since the bogeyman encounter mechanics goes from survivable to if you screw up to You are dead regardless if you survive the onslaught of fellow bogeymen or not as the cackling will kill you along with the bogeymen.
so night time alone is a stressful encounter of finding a roof to stay under or else. though I guess the process to play a bogeyman in vanilla in pre-47 era would probably also require a way to activate quantum leap.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 08:37:09 am »

Humans are pretty good, really. Being larger than dwarves, elves, and goblins means that they're also stronger.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2021, 10:58:16 am »

Humans are pretty good, really. Being larger than dwarves, elves, and goblins means that they're also stronger.
Humans are crazy good compared to smaller races. Charge is basically a human panic button for fighting other humanoids, because if you fail, you can run, and if you succeed, you've just floored and possibly staggered your opponent.  I'd say the hardest vanilla race I've played has to be kobolds, as they die to the tiniest tap to the skull.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2021, 05:53:22 am »

Probably Kobolds, due to sheer vulnerability even with maxed toughness. Not sure if the whole [UTTERANCES] and thieving tags mean everyone's auto-hostile to you in adventure mode, but they'd just make it even more difficult to play as one. If they actually showed up, however, I'd have to give it to aquatic animal people, due to their air-drowning making them impossible to play unless they become vampires or the world has a lot of water.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2021, 10:10:29 pm »

Probably Kobolds, due to sheer vulnerability even with maxed toughness. Not sure if the whole [UTTERANCES] and thieving tags mean everyone's auto-hostile to you in adventure mode, but they'd just make it even more difficult to play as one. If they actually showed up, however, I'd have to give it to aquatic animal people, due to their air-drowning making them impossible to play unless they become vampires or the world has a lot of water.
They don't show up. Aquatic animal people are deliberately unable to civilize for this reason.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 05:00:15 am »

They don't show up. Aquatic animal people are deliberately unable to civilize for this reason.
Hence why I put the 'If they actually showed up' in there.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2021, 05:10:09 am »

Vermin men are often quite small. All of my wormmen have been exploded by punches.

rico6822

• Bay Watcher
  • Constantly fails to become elephant man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 05:57:20 pm »

Vermin men are often quite small. All of my wormmen have been exploded by punches.

Do worm men have extravision?
Does anybody know how to become an elephant man in adventure mode? I literally did all advanced world settings possible to increase chances.

Jundavr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2021, 08:47:57 pm »

I don't know about the hardest, but the easiest is definitely Plump Helmet Men.

Their mushroom tissues are so flexible and soft! Truly a masterpiece of Armok. Also, the fact that they cannot speak means you don't even have to worry about talking to other people. Really, plump helmet men make easy adventurers because there is no adventure at all.
I was out in the rain. So exasperating!

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2021, 08:16:00 am »

I had a crab man that had problems wrestling with cavy boars. Apparently they're half the size of a dwarf. So really a small guy :)

I guess the smallest animal man would be the hardest to play.

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2021, 06:28:45 pm »

Slug men for obvious reasons

Easy to destroy tissue, slow. And no shell unlike snail men
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2021, 12:42:43 pm »

uhh unmodded wise doesn't really matter given technically through quantum leap you could probably play as any creature unfortunate enough to get swapped to.
but I don't find humans as the hardest as they start off with good pets to make up for being average and I always end up picking up a  few human outsiders to get access to the giant animal pets.
like if this was pre-44.12 era dwarf fortress I would have said playing a bogeyman would be the hardest species to play as... since the bogeyman encounter mechanics goes from survivable to if you screw up to You are dead regardless if you survive the onslaught of fellow bogeymen or not as the cackling will kill you along with the bogeymen.
so night time alone is a stressful encounter of finding a roof to stay under or else. though I guess the process to play a bogeyman in vanilla in pre-47 era would probably also require a way to activate quantum leap.

Rumrusher can you explain what you mean by quantum leap and how you do it. You've been posting a lot about it recently. I've been looking for info on the wiki and on the forums and I can't find anything. Maybe it's something everyone knows under a peculiar name but I'm really stumped

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2021, 07:10:52 pm »

I think it's one of those rumrusher things™

I think its when you use dfhack fuckery/bugs to swap into another creature

so you swap from your original adventurer into say a sheep or a goose
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.
Pages: [1] 2